LinuxCnc with Copley controls-Stepnet ST3-055-04?

More
02 Jan 2013 05:06 #28288 by BigJohnT
One thing I've gathered over the years about this board is to not hot plug anything or you will fry the board!

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: varun0421

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2013 08:39 #28430 by varun0421
This may be off topic but please bear with me. I tried contacting the supplier of the power system but they are not responding.

I currently use a ISP200 - 4 power supply to run a XYZ system with stepper motors. The copley controls stepper motor driver ST3-3 axis is powered by the ISP200.
The specification for the power supply is here - servosystems.com/ims_suppl_isp200.pdf
Will this power supply work with the new controller?
The new controller - www.ebay.com/itm/270549461424?ssPageName...id=p3984.m1423.l2649

Varun

More
07 Jan 2013 10:03 #28431 by andypugh

I currently use a ISP200 - 4 power supply to run a XYZ system with stepper motors. The copley controls stepper motor driver ST3-3 axis is powered by the ISP200.
Will this power supply work with the new controller?

Can you adjust the voltage down slightly? 38V is out of range for the TB6560. And they are not the most overload-tolerant of devices.
The datasheet is here: www.toshiba.com/taec/components2/Datasheet_Sync/382/27885.pdf
And that says that the max is 34V (Absolute max is 40V, but I don't think you would get away with that for long)

More
08 Jan 2013 04:21 #28471 by varun0421
Thanks for the reply.

"Can you adjust the voltage down slightly? "

I am not sure on how to do that. I will try to find out and see if that can be done.

Also i was looking for a data cable to act as a liaison between the stage( Linear actuator) and the controller.
The stage currently has a DB15M(HD) end connector whose pin outs i have.
I was trying SAB cables as an option. Are there any other cable companies which can do this job?

More
08 Jan 2013 04:49 #28473 by andypugh

Can you adjust the voltage down slightly? "
I am not sure on how to do that. I will try to find out and see if that can be done.

It isn't necessarily possible, but there is a trimmer visible on the board.

I was trying SAB cables as an option. Are there any other cable companies which can do this job?

I tend to make up my own, though it can be a tedious process.
This took a good hour last night: picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CS4ndFKtER...pFm0?feat=directlink
I have a large collection of crimping tools, heat-shrink and a good soldering iron though. Tooling up from scratch would certainly cost more than a commercially-made cable.

More
09 Jan 2013 05:45 #28502 by varun0421
I got hold of an electronics guy who said that he would solder the cable for me.
I had one quick question - I have attached the pinout for the DB15 male connector.
As it says pins 1-4 are the ones which have the motor outputs in them.
Is it necessary to solder the other pins also since i will be connecting only the motor outputs to the controller/driver?

File Attachment:

File Name: PIN-outMLA...6-25.doc
File Size:57 KB
Attachments:

More
09 Jan 2013 07:34 #28504 by andypugh
It won't do any harm to have all the wires, especially if you need someone else to make the cables for you.

More
10 Jan 2013 00:09 #28521 by varun0421
Thank you.

What would be the safest way to select the dip settings for the first run?

More
10 Jan 2013 08:12 #28532 by andypugh

Thank you.

What would be the safest way to select the dip settings for the first run?

Set the current to suit the motors.

More
07 Feb 2013 05:17 #29735 by varun0421
Thank You. Things are working pretty well right now.
I was looking into buying a more reliable controller since the one that i have is pretty sub-standard.
I was looking into the Gecko Drive - www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives/g540.html
Will this controller have any problems with Nema 8 stepper motors since the stage has Nema 8 stepper motors?
Also are there any other stepper motor controllers which are compatible with Nema 8 stepper motors?

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds