Plasma Torch Height Control

More
13 Feb 2013 04:49 #29979 by cncjohn
Hello all and a big thank you for such great software. I used it with success for wood routing. I have come unstuck now that some fairly tricky configuration is needed for my first plasma setup.

Due to a low budget I am running with a standard un-modified(so far) live cd 2.5.1 installation hooked up to a cheapass chinese 4 axis TB6560 Driver Controller Board from ebay.

The plasma cutter again is an entry level Cut 40 with no signals out like arc ok or a voltage divider. I may be able to get help to retrofit this circuitry but I need help with the software side.

I hope someone can direct me to some dummies guide to intalling THC into hal. I keep running into dead ends in the git repository 'no such project'

Please someone tell me what I need to do to get the component to display in axis. When I can see the interface for THC then I will be very happy indeed.

I have had great results 25% of the time but if the torch doesn't stay +-1mm from the work it all goes nuts. Ultimately I want dynamic voltage monitoring as the method but I am happy to use a switch/probe approach in the short term.

Thanks again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2013 08:05 - 13 Feb 2013 08:06 #29992 by BigJohnT
The thc comp will not do you any good unless you have the proper signal coming in from a Mesa THCAD card.

The thc comp is included in 2.5 so git is not needed.

If you have a floating torch head with a probe switch connected to motion.probe.input then you can use the touchoff subroutine that is on my web site in the CNC Machines Section .

John
Last edit: 13 Feb 2013 08:06 by BigJohnT.

More
13 Feb 2013 18:52 #30016 by cncjohn
Replied by cncjohn on topic Plasma Torch Height Control
Thanks John for the prompt response. Do I understand correctly that the coding is specific to the mesa thcad card only? Can you imagine it would be possible to use an arduino instead or is that a crazy idea?

If not then is there a way to install the thc comp in the simulator to see it and play with it before buying the mesa board?

Failing that can you suggest any points I need to consider when installing a switch to work with your touchoff routine (in particular, how to get around the wait for arc-ok which my unit cannot currently provide - its a pretty dumb plasma unit)

Thank you

More
13 Feb 2013 20:08 #30019 by BigJohnT
There is a guy on the IRC that got an Arduino to work with my up/down thc comp but after weeks of work gave up and ordered a THCAD card. He did say that he did get it to work I think. His nick is tjb1 if you want to chat with him about the Arduino.

Without some kind of tip voltage feedback trying to use a thc comp is pretty much useless. I ran my plasma for a year or better with just the floating head and the micro switch for touch off.

To use the floating head without any feedback you would have to modify my touchoff subroutine and remove the M66 line. You might have to adjust the pierce delay.
o<touchoff> sub
(#1 pierce height, #2 pierce delay, #3 cut height)
F10
G38.2 Z-1.75 (Probe to find the surface)
G91
G1 Z0.070 (Raise up to Z0)
G90
G92 Z0 (Set Z0)
G1 Z#1
M3 S1
;M66 P0 L1 Q5 (Wait for Arc OK from Torch)
G4 P#2 (Pause for pierce delay)
F25
Z#3 (goto cut height)
o<touchoff> endsub
M2
o<touchoff> call [0.125][0][0.080]
(msg, cutting now)
(cut path)
M5 ; torch off
G92.1 ; clear G92 offsets
G0 Z0 ; Z up
M2

gnipsel.com/shop/machine-shop.xhtml

John

More
14 Feb 2013 01:20 #30029 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Plasma Torch Height Control
The THC comp should be easily adapted to any voltage reading device. Because its used in a real time feedback loop its voltage input scheme is real time so may not be suited to USB/Serial port interfaces. The THCAD is just a very well isolated V-F converter that is read by either the hardware or software encoder component (using the encoder velocity pin which reads frequency)

One thing to remember is that both the plasma voltage tap and plasma GND are very noisy so if you use something like an Arduino, make sure the Arduino runs on a floating power supply and that any connections to the PC are isolated

More
16 Feb 2013 02:31 #30139 by cncjohn
Replied by cncjohn on topic Plasma Torch Height Control
Thanks fellas. Some good points raised there, and the modified touchoff routine.
What do you mean by floating power supply (not regulated?) sorry fairly new to this stuff.

I expect I will be posting again soon when my 2nd parallel card arrives and I try re-jigging Linuxcnc to talk to it. I plan to affect some kind of arduino bob that can monitor float swith for thc and ultimately monitor tip voltage whilst taking over the driving of the Z axis from the other driver board. Sure a timer is needed for reference for stepper pulses. I hear people use a 555 to keep the arduino running at a particular frequency.

Are there any 'Dont Do's' to selecting a suitable volts to freq system/circuit and I'm guessing the voltage divider needs to scale it down from 100V to about 5V before the vfd? Am I anywhere near?

Lifes too short for the amount of questions I have haha

More
16 Feb 2013 02:51 #30140 by BigJohnT
Plasma voltage on smaller units can be as high as 300v.

John

More
16 Feb 2013 03:26 #30142 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Plasma Torch Height Control
By floating I mean the Arduino and its power supply have no electrical connection to the PC. All data goes over an isolated link to the PC. Not only is plasma voltage up to 300V, the ground reference on the plasma side is very noisy electrically so you don't want any direct connection between the plasma power ground and the PC via your Arduino or you may 1: kill the Arduino, 2: kill the PC, 3: have endless noise problems.

More
17 May 2013 13:12 #34224 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Plasma Torch Height Control
Hi All,
I am using the arduino code as supplied by Jeff Epler to read the tip voltage. I would seem to work well at this stage. I am also using the touchoff code that JT supplied as well as his THC component.
I have a problem with the Z axis being very sluggish and difficult to control. I have seen this with every THC component that I have tried. Is this supposed to be common or is there a problem somewhere? Maybe something with the z pos being intercepted by the component?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
17 May 2013 17:57 #34231 by BigJohnT
If you set the correction velocity high enough the Z axis will act like a jack hammer if your drive can handle it, so I doubt it is in the thc component.

JT

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds