Plasma Torch Height Control

More
17 May 2013 18:33 #34233 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Plasma Torch Height Control
John,
Something I am not to clear about if you can explain please. When I look at the thcud code the correction velocity is simply added to the z_pos. So the increments are are the actual correction_velocity. How is the actual velocity determined then?

Secondly, when I disable the thc the z_pos_requested is just passed through. Does the component latency not influence the reaction on a request?

Lastly, what settings do you recomend I use. I have a nema23 3.0nm on a 4mm pitch screw on the z axis.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2013 21:02 #34237 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Plasma Torch Height Control
Dont know how fast is fast in this context
(cutting corrugated metal would need fast)
But a fast THC probably needs to use a standard PID loop working
on the actual voltage and setpoint voltage for the Z control.
(and real time voltage data)

More
17 May 2013 21:09 #34238 by BigJohnT

John,
Something I am not to clear about if you can explain please. When I look at the thcud code the correction velocity is simply added to the z_pos. So the increments are are the actual correction_velocity. How is the actual velocity determined then?

Secondly, when I disable the thc the z_pos_requested is just passed through. Does the component latency not influence the reaction on a request?

Lastly, what settings do you recommend I use. I have a nema23 3.0nm on a 4mm pitch screw on the z axis.

Well velocity might have been a poor choice for the pin name.

I'm not sure what your asking about reaction on a request?

I just experimented with a number that gave me good response with no hunting(too high and it will hunt).

JT

More
17 May 2013 22:20 #34245 by mariusl

Dont know how fast is fast in this context
(cutting corrugated metal would need fast)
But a fast THC probably needs to use a standard PID loop working
on the actual voltage and setpoint voltage for the Z control.
(and real time voltage data)

@ Peter, I am getting the voltage information from the usb at 115200 and at the rate of whatever the user component is serviced. My settings are BASE_THREAD = 35000, SERVO_THREAD = 1000000.
The voltage is checked against the set voltage and a up or down signal is set. I have a hysteresis window of 0.5v set at this time. This is done in a realtime component.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
17 May 2013 22:24 #34246 by mariusl

I just experimented with a number that gave me good response with no hunting(too high and it will hunt).

JT

John, I meant if you jog up or down. The other axis are very responsive but the Z axis has a sluggish almost delayed action. This happens even if I disable the thc. My question is then, is it possible that the component causes the delay as it grabs the zpos request (even when jogging)?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
17 May 2013 23:10 #34254 by BigJohnT

JT

John, I meant if you jog up or down. The other axis are very responsive but the Z axis has a sluggish almost delayed action. This happens even if I disable the thc. My question is then, is it possible that the component causes the delay as it grabs the zpos request (even when jogging)?

I don't have any sluggish movement on my Z axis. It jogs up and down at the maximum speed I set it at with no hesitation at all. I have my Z set at 60IPM.

Do you have latency issues or memory issues?

JT

More
18 May 2013 01:45 #34262 by mariusl
I dont have memory or latency problems. The other two axis are fine. When I say sluggish I mean that when I jog the axis in continuous mode, the z will continue to move long after I stopped jogging. I have to jog in the opposite direction to get it to stop

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
18 May 2013 01:55 #34266 by BigJohnT
How are you jogging?

JT

More
18 May 2013 01:57 #34267 by mariusl
Page up and down on the keyboard

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
18 May 2013 02:05 #34268 by BigJohnT
Remove the thc component from the equation and test your jog. I just jogged mine up and down with both the USB game pad and the page up/down keys and it stops sharply.

JT

Time to create page: 0.389 seconds