Stepper vs. Servo Question for Turning Center

More
06 Jun 2013 07:09 #35310 by Zahnrad Kopf

The more the better, really. You won't be running the motors at 4000rpm, I wouldn't have thought.
The Mesa card can count encoders at Mhz.
Presumably the original steppers were 200 steps per rev, so you need some multiple of that to achieve the same resolution. (assuming direct coupling?)

I see! Well, I'm completely open to change, here. Yes, the steppers were 200 steps per rev, but if the result is BETTER resolution at some other PPR count, I'm open to it. They are not directly coupled at the moment, rather they are driven with belts and pulleys. And... buying pulleys is easy if a change is needed. But if push came to shove I can hob, WEDM, or mill anything I want for tooth counts or form. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2013 07:12 - 06 Jun 2013 07:12 #35311 by Zahnrad Kopf

Threading definitely. Indexing is dependent on the motor more than the controller. What type of motor is it?

It isn't, yet... I was planning on grabbing a 3HP 3Ø motor next week and coupling it with a VFD. But if there's a better idea I am all ears. :)
Last edit: 06 Jun 2013 07:12 by Zahnrad Kopf.

More
06 Jun 2013 18:01 #35323 by BigJohnT

Threading definitely. Indexing is dependent on the motor more than the controller. What type of motor is it?

It isn't, yet... I was planning on grabbing a 3HP 3Ø motor next week and coupling it with a VFD. But if there's a better idea I am all ears. :)

Something doesn't look right with a 3hp spindle motor and nema 23 steppers for the axes. What was the original spindle motor size?

JT

More
06 Jun 2013 18:11 #35325 by andypugh

Something doesn't look right with a 3hp spindle motor and nema 23 steppers for the axes. What was the original spindle motor size?

My lathe is 2Hp and NEMA23 steppers and I can stall the spindle all too easily.

More
06 Jun 2013 18:15 #35327 by andypugh

I see! Well, I'm completely open to change, here. Yes, the steppers were 200 steps per rev, but if the result is BETTER resolution at some other PPR count, I'm open to it. They are not directly coupled at the moment, rather they are driven with belts and pulleys. And... buying pulleys is easy if a change is needed. But if push came to shove I can hob, WEDM, or mill anything I want for tooth counts or form. :)

You might want to consider increasing the gear ratio. Steppers tend to max out at a few hundred rpm, whereas servos can do a few thousand. But try it first with the original gearing, see how it works out.
You want at least 1000ppr *(4000cpr) encoders, I would think.

More
06 Jun 2013 18:18 #35328 by BigJohnT

My lathe is 2Hp and NEMA23 steppers and I can stall the spindle all too easily.

I guess that depends on the gear ratio and such... I was using my mill as a guide which has a 1 1/2hp spindle and huge DC brushed servos and I can spin a 3" face mill with it. I guess that is not a fair comparison to a lathe somehow?

I get the idea somehow that this is a table top lathe...

JT

More
06 Jun 2013 18:21 #35329 by Zahnrad Kopf

Something doesn't look right with a 3hp spindle motor and nema 23 steppers for the axes. What was the original spindle motor size? JT

John,

It is a 5HP 380VDC motor. Emco REALLY over built these. I figured I could get away with a 3HP motor since the machine is so compact. I have ZERO issue with going with a 5HP motor though. :)

More
06 Jun 2013 18:25 #35331 by Zahnrad Kopf

I get the idea somehow that this is a table top lathe...

JT

John,

They are not quite table top, but not quite full size. They are compact, but full-on turning centers, very capable, and deadly accurate. ( very rigid ) Hence, my desire to keep it and retrofit it. Lemme see if this works...

More
06 Jun 2013 18:27 #35332 by Zahnrad Kopf

You might want to consider increasing the gear ratio. Steppers tend to max out at a few hundred rpm, whereas servos can do a few thousand. But try it first with the original gearing, see how it works out. You want at least 1000ppr *(4000cpr) encoders, I would think.

Thanks, Andy. I will plan for that.

More
06 Jun 2013 18:30 #35333 by BigJohnT
That's bigger than I imaged for nema 23, but what the heck do I know. The control panel is almost as big as the lathe!

JT

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds