Advice on component selection.

More
08 Jan 2015 08:46 #54737 by NeoTech

In my experience running flash videos on youtube is about the worst RT torture test

The screen savers in xfce was kinda gnarly as well.. =))

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2015 08:54 #54738 by andypugh

This better?

Yes, that will work just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeoTech

More
08 Jan 2015 15:28 #54745 by NeoTech
After a 9 hours the max jitter upper value got to 45338 and the lower where about the same.
Guessing its still a go. Even tho the whole box lagged horribly.

I will prob. find a way to get it to run 2.7 instead of 2.6 soonish.. 2.8 when compiled it from master was buggy.. alot.. ;)

So time to decide for main card, 7i43 or 7i90 - both seems like a valid choice. Even tho the former seems to come in like 4 versions? *What to choooose* ;)

More
08 Jan 2015 18:29 #54752 by andypugh

So time to decide for main card, 7i43 or 7i90 - both seems like a valid choice. Even tho the former seems to come in like 4 versions? *What to choooose* ;)

7i90 has 50% more pins, is cheaper and has a newer model FPGA. I don't know why you wouldn't choose it.

But perhaps ask Mesa?

More
08 Jan 2015 18:37 #54755 by NeoTech
Only reason i can see is that the 7i90 doesnt seem to have support in the stable 2.6.5 release of linuxcnc, atleast not in the wizard.. can prob. be manually configured.. if i figure out where the hell the config files go and how they should be formatted.
Been finding the wiki and documentation outdated on numerous occasions now - its a tad bit frustrating from time to time. =)

More
08 Jan 2015 19:31 #54758 by andypugh

Been finding the wiki and documentation outdated on numerous occasions now - its a tad bit frustrating from time to time. =)

The Wiki is outdated in many places, there is no mechanism for removing outdated or just plain incorrect pages. Always treat the Wiki with a bit of suspicion and check the "last updated" data at the bottom.

The definitive docs for 2.6 are here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/

For 2.7 (unreleased) here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/

And for Master (development) here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/

To a large extent you could start with a pncconf 7i43 configuration and then edit the HAL / INI files to replace 7i43 with 7i90. (probably)

More
08 Jan 2015 19:43 #54759 by NeoTech
Uhm, isnt the wiki based upon PHP and MySQL.. would be small issue, reindexing everything with a seperate script and order it by createdate and last edited and filter that out / move / delete whatever. (Say the guy who works as web systems developer for a living ) ;)

And yeah the docs is where i live atm. - realizing i would need to upgrade the 2.6.5 to the 2.7.0-pre1 (or what its called) on the ISO wheezy image that i downloaded and installed. Making that bugger boot over my PXE server was "!"#%%! - but got it to work finally.. (have no usb sticks or cdrom drives lying around)

But well, 7i90 is maybe the future then. and i save quite alot of cash going that route.. with a 7i48 and 7i33TA card i imagine. *fiddling through the mesa store*

More
20 Jan 2015 23:05 #55208 by NeoTech
So motors and drivers; aquired.

I dont think i realized how big 130mm framed motors is when they are at 1.5kW

Seems to be good quality tho, and got cables and connectors for them as well, ran me about 650-700 usd for all three of them and cables.
Got me drivers from Granite devices (Argons)..

Now i need controller cards - and figure out somebody that can laser cut a shit ton of sheet metal for me. =)

More
24 Jan 2015 01:11 #55296 by andypugh

Now i need controller cards

A good start would be to look through the Argon manual and see what control mode you fancy. The options are basically step-dir with all motion control in the drive, step-dir with encoder feedback shared with LinuxCNC or analogue voltage control (which may need encoder feedback shared with LinuxCNC).

What sort of commutation signals do the motors generate?

More
24 Jan 2015 05:35 #55305 by NeoTech
The encodes is a Quadrature encoder (2500ppr) with a 15pin socket connector.

But well if Argons support stepper motor control for a servo. Wouldnt that be the neatest of trick anyway?
I was actually thinking going with a anlog interface 10V - which seems a tad bit old school.
But is maaaybe the easiest route?!

Time to create page: 0.313 seconds