Using Sherline Mill as CNC with Head Turned 90 Deg

More
27 Jan 2015 10:51 #55376 by Todd Zuercher
If you are only turning the head, and not the z axis, then would it not be effectively a manual B axis?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2015 18:08 #55381 by andypugh

If you are only turning the head, and not the z axis, then would it not be effectively a manual B axis?

Yes, and I have considered setting up my tilting-head mill with a 4-axis kinematics that allows direct-entry of the angle that has been set.
But that seems like rather an "advanced" approach in this case and won't actually help with the request to be able to use normal XYZ G-code in the tilted mode.
(I would expect my putative setup to jog in XYZ normally and in the W axis parallel with the spindle)

More
27 Jan 2015 21:31 #55383 by johnl2
I don't understand your question.

More
27 Jan 2015 22:04 #55384 by andypugh

I don't understand your question.

This Video shows a similar machine to yours with CNC-controlled B and C axes.
It is possible to set up LinuxCNC to "understand" such a geometry in terms of tool-tip coordinates and angles so that (for example) a move in the W-axis will actually move the X, Y and Z axes together in proportions depending on the current B and C angles.

You _could_ set up your machine to automatically compensate for whatever B-angle you set the head to. But that won't let you use standard XYZ G-code.

More
27 Jan 2015 22:09 #55385 by johnl2
So it cannot be done? Also, I have never heard of these other axis you're naming, like W, B and C

More
27 Jan 2015 22:18 #55387 by andypugh

So it cannot be done?

Now I don't understand your question :-)

Yes, it can be done, but it won't achieve what you seem to want.

Also, I have never heard of these other axis you're naming, like W, B and C

LinuxCNC supports up to 9 axes, XYZ, ABC, UVW. ABC are conventionally roatations, and UVW are conventionally a second (rotated) set of cartesian axes.

However, on the basic level all that XYZABCUVW do is pass values from G-code to HAL, and what you do with the numbers is entirely up to the machine builder.

More
28 Jan 2015 01:28 #55395 by johnl2
Oh okay, I see.

You _could_ set up your machine to automatically compensate for whatever B-angle you set the head to. But that won't let you use standard XYZ G-code.

This was the sentence that made me believe that it cannot be done. B/c what I want is what you said, to use standard xyz g-code with a tilted head making the head x and the x the z .

More
28 Jan 2015 01:51 #55396 by andypugh

B/c what I want is what you said, to use standard xyz g-code with a tilted head making the head x and the x the z .

Right, so ignore the B-axis and 5-axis kinematics ideas, and just make a config with the axes swapped around.

More
28 Jan 2015 03:38 #55399 by johnl2
Okay, I will try that. So I'm going into the stepconf wizard?

More
28 Jan 2015 07:15 #55402 by andypugh

Okay, I will try that. So I'm going into the stepconf wizard?

That's one way. Or you can hand-edit a copy of the existing INI and HAL.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds