Using Sherline Mill as CNC with Head Turned 90 Deg

More
17 Feb 2015 05:24 #56035 by johnl2
I have found "standard_pinout.hal. I assume I just change the pins in there to what I want, but I see no way to reverse the direction. . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2015 05:38 #56036 by johnl2
That's funny you say that, that is the first thing I did, I put the two files side by side. But they were very different, one would have a certain value and the other would not. So I just copied as much of the info as I was given in the original .ini file, but it still did not work. So I'm not sure how I should go about it, probably just change my original file like you said and back it up, but I don't know exactly how to change everything. There are more than one .hal file, a standard_pinout.hal and a stepper_xyza.hal. Which of these files do I need to change, one or both? And is there a way to reverse the axis?

Thanks,

John

More
17 Feb 2015 05:43 #56038 by andypugh

There are more than one .hal file, a standard_pinout.hal and a stepper_xyza.hal. Which of these files do I need to change, one or both?

I am afraid I have no idea. I guess Sherline made the files?

You will just have to read them to work it out. They are more legible than you might expect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joekline9

More
17 Feb 2015 05:46 #56039 by johnl2
Yes, they are pretty readable. I will have to call sherline, (again), and see if I can get this straightened out. Thank you for your help thus far and for your fast responses, it was really helpful Andy.

John

More
17 Feb 2015 07:30 #56040 by johnl2
Replied by johnl2 on topic Problem Solved
I did it and the problem is solved. I just used the stepconf wizard to create a new .ini and .hal. Then I changed the x and z dir and the other thing and also reversed them both. I am now milling CNC sideways! Thank you for all of your help everyone.

John

More
17 Feb 2015 07:34 #56041 by johnl2
BTW, the problems I was having was due to the leadscrew value. It was 20mm per revolution as a default when mine is 1mm per revolution. That was the reason for it reading out 20mm to every single turn of my motor. I really hope this thread helps somebody else with the same issue since I cannot find anything like it on the net.

John

More
17 Feb 2015 07:36 #56042 by johnl2
Now all you people out there with little sherline mills can mill huge parts where z does not go high enough!!!!

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds