Using Sherline Mill as CNC with Head Turned 90 Deg

More
30 Jan 2015 22:41 #55489 by johnl2
Okay, so I went into stepconf and reversed x and z. I have a part on there now but I will try it when I remove it. I hope this works. If I want to change it in the hal or ini, how would I go about doing that? Do you know what line it's at?

Thanks and I'll keep the forum updated on my progress.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2015 22:51 #55490 by andypugh

If I want to change it in the hal or ini, how would I go about doing that? Do you know what line it's at?

I have no idea how to do it in _your_ HAL and INI, but if you compare the two files you should be able to see the differences.

I would expect the axis limits to be swapped in the INI and the pin allocations to be swapped in the HAL.

When you try the config I would rather expect you to have to reverse the axis directions and homing velocities.

More
30 Jan 2015 22:54 #55491 by johnl2
Oh, the velocities need to be reversed also? I only reversed direction. What does the velocity do? I figured that was how fast it went or something.

John

More
30 Jan 2015 23:01 #55493 by andypugh

Oh, the velocities need to be reversed also?

Only the homing velocity, and then only if you have homing switches. Because you have reversed the Z axis it will now home in the opposite direction, ie down.

More
17 Feb 2015 05:02 #56029 by johnl2
Okay, sorry I took so long, but I had a part on there and could not test it. Anyway, i made the stepconf file and tested it with the motors setup as it was. It works! I reversed the pins in the stepconf wizard and the directions. So theoretically if I were to put a program in with the mill head on it's side, it would mill just like normal now. . . however, I am having a problem with the motors. If I check the .ini file for my original program, it gives me certain values for the motor accel, velocity, etc. If I punch those values into stepconf, the motors move too slow and also moves like 10mm and the DRO tells me that it moved 240. I do not know how to setup the motors properly, even when looking at the .ini, those values do not work. Any suggestions, or do you know the proper values for a sherline mill?

Thanks a lot,

John

More
17 Feb 2015 05:09 #56030 by andypugh
I don't know why you used Stepconf, I thought I was suggesting hand-editing the HAL and INI files...

Anyway I would hazard a guess that your current problem is a mix-up between mm and inch units somewhere. Check through the stepconf data and make sure that it is all consistent.

More
17 Feb 2015 05:19 #56031 by johnl2
going over it again, I think I need to know the exact values for each axis configuration, such as motor steps per rev., driver microstepping, leadscrew pitch, etc. etc. If I knew these values, I think I'd be set.

Thanks again,

John

More
17 Feb 2015 05:20 #56032 by johnl2
I made sure it was mm, that would have been my first guess as well. . . I thought I was going through stepconf. . . if I am to go through the hal file, I have no idea what to look for. Could you give me an idea? I am on the computer now checking it out. . .

Thanks for responding so fast,

John

More
17 Feb 2015 05:21 #56033 by andypugh

motor steps per rev., driver microstepping, leadscrew pitch, etc. etc. If I knew these values, I think I'd be set.

Those numbers all get multiplied together to give a single "SCALE" value in the INI for steps-per-mm.

Just look in the old INI for the SCALE numbers of each axis and edit the new INI to match.
(if you use stepconf again it will over-write the hand-changes, though)

More
17 Feb 2015 05:24 #56034 by andypugh
Actually, the simplest way to get what you want via stepconf....

Open the old INI file in a text editor. Make a note of the SCALE for each axis.

Then in Stepconf say that the leadscrew pitch is 1.0, that the gear ratio is 1, and that the motor steps per rev is the SCALE value.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds