Program exceeds machine limits error using G33 (in 2.7.0~pre7)

More
02 Sep 2015 17:19 #62045 by BigJohnT

Can you elaborate on how you loaded the tool and touched off? Does this lathe have a turret and use the tool table?

The lathe has a turret. We do M6 T1 which loads the tool and also set tool length offset (G43 I think). A button in Glade side panel for each tool runs a script actually. Tools are first touched off to a fixture (wired to Mesa 7i84 input) that is mounted on the spindle head in both Z and X (using G38.something). Then tool 1 is set to the end of work piece and Z is touched off (G54) and then set on known diameter (or radius since we usually have G8 set) and X is touched off (G54 again).

Tom

That sounds like you have a handle on that. The only thing I do different is to store the X offset in the tool table so I only have to touch off the Z to the material with tool 1 in G54. G43 is important and I see your doing that. Seems that if you X sensor is a known distance from the center line of the spindle you could add/subtract that from the number and store that in the tool table if that makes any sense.

Now I'm stumped why you get that error... the only time I get that error is when the interpreter can't figure out where the limit are because I used a G92 and it has no idea for some reason where the X and Y axis are before the code starts.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2015 23:40 - 03 Sep 2015 02:13 #62066 by tome
We added an explicit tool change (M6 T1 G43) to the code and the problem went away. Considering that the tool change script that selects the tool does G43 we are thinking that for some reason Axis? trajectory planner? Isn't checking the state of the currently loaded tool and so is complaining about limits. Seems like that is a bug....?

We will try to run once with and once without this change and verify active G codes to make sure it isn't something else we aren't noticing but at this point I suspect a bug...
Last edit: 03 Sep 2015 02:13 by tome.

More
03 Sep 2015 03:05 #62071 by BigJohnT

We added an explicit tool change (M6 T1 G43) to the code and the problem went away. Considering that the tool change script that selects the tool does G43 we are thinking that for some reason Axis? trajectory planner? Isn't checking the state of the currently loaded tool and so is complaining about limits. Seems like that is a bug....?

We will try to run once with and once without this change and verify active G codes to make sure it isn't something else we aren't noticing but at this point I suspect a bug...

This is interesting, so you were not doing the tool change in the program but before the program via MDI. This makes some sense now as the program does not know what tool you have loaded so it complains about it based on the G53 machine origin and with no tool loaded.

JT

More
03 Sep 2015 20:07 - 03 Sep 2015 20:10 #62082 by tome

This is interesting, so you were not doing the tool change in the program but before the program via MDI. This makes some sense now as the program does not know what tool you have loaded so it complains about it based on the G53 machine origin and with no tool loaded.

JT

We did some more testing and it turns out that it is the G43 in the program that makes the difference. Even though G43 is an active code (when we look in the MDI tab list of active codes) we get the error if there is no G43 in the program explicitly.

Yes, I have a row of buttons in my Glade side panel labeled T1-T8 which, when pressed, runs a script that simply does M6 T# G43 (where # is tool no.). We press T1 to select tool 1 and then run the program.

-Tom
Last edit: 03 Sep 2015 20:10 by tome.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds