Linuxcnc for CNC-STEP HIGH Z 400

More
26 May 2019 22:38 #135035 by Frustrated Toolpaths
Hi, did you get your High Z running on Linuxcnc? I will be attempting my own config for one of these soon, it would be great to have a head start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2019 06:28 #135042 by pl7i92
he did upload the files in this post
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...-z-400?start=0#65183

so there is your start
make shure your version of step-high is compatible as they change from time the oinout and board versio n

More
27 May 2019 09:48 #135055 by Frustrated Toolpaths
Thank you pl7i92.
I had hoped utilisateurflo got theirs running as it's much closer to the machine I will have.
I'll try to post a version that works once I get mine up and running.

More
22 Sep 2019 15:25 - 22 Sep 2019 15:27 #145858 by windrad
Hi,

I had the same problem with getting the Zero 3 control working with LinuxCNC. In my case it looks like a problem of the stepconf wizard. The estop and the charg pump for some reason conflict.

In my case it helped to comment out the following:
net estop-out charge-pump.enable iocontrol.0.user-enable-out

and add:
net charge-pump <= charge-pump.out
net estop-ext => charge-pump.enable

in the highz_s400t.hal (see attachment) file after finishing the stepconf wizard. Attention this change is overwritten each time you run the stepconf wizard.

I also attached my latest version of the configurarion. You can use it as a starting point and adapt it to your needs.

File Attachment:

File Name: 2019_09_22...Z400.zip
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Sep 2019 15:27 by windrad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frustrated Toolpaths, pagan_dan

More
03 Oct 2019 19:10 #147013 by Frustrated Toolpaths
Thank you,
I ended up with a different machine in the end, a cnc router parts/avid cnc machine.
This produced even more headaches for a linuxcnc controller....got there in the end, it's mostly running as intended, just need to get my estop to talk to linuxcnc via the g540, which shouldn't take too long with a bit of searching :)

More
03 Oct 2019 19:36 #147016 by pl7i92
changing a HIHG end CC to a low cost is not that good behavior if you got the money for it
why did you go for this mashine
there are so many others to be considert on a KIT
like sorotec or dold ....

More
03 Oct 2019 20:01 #147024 by Frustrated Toolpaths
After a lot.......LOT.....of looking and searching various machines for my purpose I decided on the avid machine (with some serious reservations and worries) I have been pleasantly surprised so far by the machine (mine is far from the standard build) and isn't cutting quite yet as I still need to fit the spindle and hook up the vfd through g540 and LinuxCNC.
I had some unusual requirements that took me away from the manufacturer's you mentioned.

More
23 Mar 2023 07:56 #267347 by pagan_dan
Thanks for the configurations, I have used them to 'almost' get my old s400 working. I am new to LinuxCNC and having trouble translating these older configuration files to the newer format though.

I must be missing something or doing something wrong, as although everything works I'm not get the correct scale for each axis. The manual shows "Steps per Revolution 1/10 Micro-Step : 2000". How does this translate into Motor steps per revolution and driver micro stepping? I have tried many different values but some don't sound good and i don't want to damage anything. The default settings of 200 / 2 'work' but they give a scale of around 66. But these configurations files show scales of 200 / 200 / 333.33333.

From looking at the manuals I just spotted the thread pitch is 6mm for each axis, so I have changed that from the default 5mm. Do i also need to change the motor leadscrew pitch settings?

I have tried editing the .ini file to the scales in the conf files posted here manually after running the stepconf tool, and that got the scale much closer, but still not quite right. Any advice on what I might be missing or things I could try would be much appreciated. I'd rather get this right in the stepconf tool, so I don't need to manually alter settings if possible.

I can upload by configuration files here if that helps.
Thanks

More
23 Mar 2023 12:19 #267359 by tommylight
Is this a G540?
Ball screw pitch can not be 6mm, at least i never saw one, they are 5mm for metric and 5.08 for inch.
2, 4, 8mm for lead screws are pretty much standard.
Are the motors directly coupled to screws?
-
Example
5mm screw, directly coupled to motor, 200 step motor, G540 divider by 10 (dors not have microstepping), this makes 2000 pulses per revolution divided by 5mm, so you get 400 steps per mm, and this should be the scale in the ini file.

More
23 Mar 2023 15:56 #267368 by pagan_dan
Thanks for replying. As you can tell, I'm new to LinuxCNC, and CNC in general, so apologies in advance.

I'm not using a G540 (although a new controller might be a good idea). The mill is this one :
www.cnc-step.com/high-z-s-400-cnc-router...mm-trapezium-screws/
That is listed with their own Zero3 controller. Mine came with the older Zero2 controller, so that is what I'm using. I found an old server with a parallel port, and installed the recommended version of LinuxCNC on that. I configured it as best I could using the old config files I found in this thread. It does mill, but the scale is about 30% off and the x axis doesn't sound right. It doesn't sound.. 'smooth'

I last used this machine about 15 years ago (I've moved around and it's been in storage) I original used it with their Windows NT/2000 software iirc. They quoted around 800 euros for a USB interface and new win10 software. So it seemed like a good time to jump ship to LinuxCNC :)

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds