Linuxcnc 2.7.? Wheezy loads but wont drive

More
01 Jan 2016 22:15 #67665 by andypugh

That worked, I now have an address of 1c00:2170, I assume from the other posts you directed me to that would translate to 0x1c00 in the linuxcnc setup box. I will try this.

0 should work too, let the driver find the card address. You shouldn't really need to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wl888

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2016 03:05 #67681 by wl888
Hi All
OK...progress...x,y,z all move smoothly..I don't have my probe setup yet so Z is set to zero on the high limit switch.
All good up to there.
Question: Is linixcnc designed for a moving gantry only..the reason i ask is that i have a moving table setup and cant seem to find a way to get the table moving from Left to Right as a positive, similar with Y, if I change the Direction tick box the axis moves in the opposite direction but the co-ordinates are reading in the negative not positive...ie Left to Right shows -125 instead of 125
I have figured out the Zero latch setting(i think) but the movement has got me stumpped.
Suggestions???
Thanks
Doug :)

More
02 Jan 2016 04:24 #67684 by andypugh

Question: Is linixcnc designed for a moving gantry only

No. To LinuxCNC it is all just numbers, it doesn't know or care what the numbers mean. Only you know what the numbers do out in the real world.

As a first step, open the HAL file and swap the SCALE of that axis from negative to positive (or vice-versa) and do the same for the homing velocities.

More
02 Jan 2016 05:39 - 02 Jan 2016 07:20 #67689 by wl888
OK...found the Hal file and where scale is mentioned...but at the time i couldn't see/know where to change the settings you mentioned.
however..on further research i found linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini-homing.html on homing, I didn't realize that by putting a negative sign in front of the velocity setting during setup that it would change axis directions, but now i see what you were getting at.
thanks
Doug

OK ...just ran the spiral sample code and it went well, next step is to get the Z zero touch probe working and then the Laser, which is actually the whole reason for the machine.
I'm really impressed with the smoothness of Linuxcnc compared with Mach, There doesn't appear to be the missing steps or other indiscretions that i was experiencing before. I just wish i had converted ages ago.
Thanks for Everyone's help and patience so far.
Doug
Last edit: 02 Jan 2016 07:20 by wl888. Reason: extra info

More
02 Jan 2016 13:15 #67703 by andypugh

OK...found the Hal file and where scale is mentioned...but at the time i couldn't see/know where to change the settings you mentioned.

Sorry, my fault. All the numbers in question are actually in the INI file, not the HAL file.
(The HAL file reads them from the INI)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wl888

More
03 Jan 2016 03:57 #67741 by wl888
OK...further progress..Z Zero touch pad is in and works, but i can't get it to rapid off after it zeroes and replaces Z value with plate thickness(9.9mm).
I have researched the various forums but am none the wiser.
In previous versions it apparently works, one member stated that he added this to get it to rapid off....
{net rapid-away classicladder.0.out-02 => halui.mdi-command-02}
This didn't seem to work.
I also found various mentions of ....
{G20 L10 P1 Z15}
but this version of linuxcnc 2.7.3 doesn't seem to like it and crashes out.
or have i missed something???

original document attached

suggestions.

Thanks Doug :)
Attachments:

More
03 Jan 2016 11:58 #67747 by andypugh

In previous versions it apparently works, one member stated that he added this to get it to rapid off....
{net rapid-away classicladder.0.out-02 => halui.mdi-command-02}

By itself that won't do anything, you would also need an MDI_COMMAND entry in the INI file that corresponded to it.

but this version of linuxcnc 2.7.3 doesn't seem to like it and crashes out.

It normally exits with an error report, if you read that it should tell you what it was doing, and what went wrong.

More
04 Jan 2016 01:02 #67791 by wl888
Thanks Andy
OK....now working The problem was that the line below isn't part of the .INI file as i previously assumed, it's a line in the custom_postgui.hal file, once i unrem'd it everything worked.
#net rapid-away classicladder.0.out-02 => halui.mdi-command-02

{G20 L10 P1 Z15}
should have read
G10 L20 P0 Z15
after more study i found that the G10 command does the same as the G92 and has no relevance to the rapid off problem.

(this is a similar learning process to that of using Mach3.....and so it progresses) :)
Now onto the Laser

More
04 Jan 2016 02:02 #67797 by andypugh

Tafter more study i found that the G10 command does the same as the G92 and has no relevance to the rapid off problem.

It's not _exactly_ the same. G92 is a transient offset. G10 alkows you to set the coordinate system offsets permanently _and_ it allows you to alter the tool table offsets too.

More
04 Jan 2016 02:41 #67798 by wl888
on further reading...I see what you mean, I over simplified.

Researching on laser control, found articles from jv4779 at www.cnczone.com/forums/general-laser-eng...-software-forum.html.

using 2.5

doesn't seam to have updated for some years, wondering if you or others have seen any development on this project or weather it is now outdated with the latest version 2.7.3 and another approach is more suitable?

thanks
Doug

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds