Linuxcnc 2.7.? Wheezy loads but wont drive

More
04 Jan 2016 10:21 #67809 by andypugh

Researching on laser control, found articles from jv4779 at www.cnczone.com/forums/general-laser-eng...-software-forum.html.
doesn't seam to have updated for some years, wondering if you or others have seen any development on this project or weather it is now outdated with the latest version 2.7.3 and another approach is more suitable?

I don't know of anything better, though I have to confess that I don't especially like the approach used there.

I made a start on a pair of components, one to load image files and one to output a laser intensity for the current stepper positions based on the image, but other projects took over and as I have never had a laser (so it was only an intellectual exercise that easily dropped off the list).

I can try to find the incomplete code if someone fancies picking it back up again.

Part of my idea was to not use any G-code, the system would create a raster scan automatically to drive the motors with

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2016 21:25 #67878 by wl888
Thanks Andy
At this stage i'm looking to cut profiles...DXF...from gcode, so a rapid turn on / turn off process would be suitable.
looking at some of his files, they seem to be specific to the earlier systems, some of the file types don't appear in wheezy. :(
Will keep looking, if i come up with anything promising i will let you know.
Thanks Doug :)

More
04 Jan 2016 22:13 #67882 by andypugh

Thanks Andy
At this stage i'm looking to cut profiles...DXF...from gcode, so a rapid turn on / turn off process would be suitable.

If you are not looking to do raster engraving then look at the M62. M63 and M67 commands.

More
05 Jan 2016 01:14 - 05 Jan 2016 01:19 #67890 by wl888
Is it really that simple..just edit the gcode to incorporate :

M62 P- - turn on digital output synchronized with motion. The P- word specifies the digital output number.

M63 P- - turn off digital output synchronized with motion. The P- word specifies the digital output number.

M64 P- - turn on digital output immediately. The P- word specifies the digital output number.

M65 P- - turn off digital output immediately. The P- word specifies the digital output number.

Just edit the -Z +Z entries out for the appropriate M code

while having the correct digital output linked to laser trigger pin in the initial setup.

Depth of cut would be controlled by feedrate F100 etc.
from the other posts it seemed more complex, but yes, they mainly talked about raster engraving.

Is there a equally simple way to link the S... spindle speed setting like in pwm or this this where it gets complicated?

thamks
Doug
Last edit: 05 Jan 2016 01:19 by wl888. Reason: more thoughts

More
05 Jan 2016 01:46 #67893 by andypugh

Is there a equally simple way to link the S... spindle speed setting like in pwm or this this where it gets complicated?

You can use S if you want (and simply net the PWM to the motion.spindle-speed-out in HAL) though this isn't a way I favour as there is no guarantee of it being absolutely synchronised to motion, whereas there is with M67.

(ie, an S word happens when the S word line is reached in the G-code, but an M67 output happens the instant the next move starts.)

More
05 Jan 2016 02:13 #67895 by wl888
OK...I'll crawl before i walk, then maybe run later....will stick to the M codes for now and get that sorted.
I can generate multi tool g code with each tool having a selected F...setting.
My requirements are to have a shape cutout with the option of simple line laser engraving on the surface. (Vector, if i have that correct)
Am also looking at inkscape with KM laser addons as an alternate coding method.
Thanks for your help and patience
will let you know how things go.
Doug :cheer:

More
06 Jan 2016 08:55 #67951 by wl888
Hi All
More progress..laser is now cutting with single intensity at this time...M3/M5 as trigger and Coolant-flood M8/M9 as safety interlock.
Had some trouble getting the M8/M9 to work but an old thread mentioned a fix in the .hal

I have a Red Dot laser attached to the head for location assistance, this will eventually be controlled by a custom button, more learning for that, I have been trying to activate the pin (17) with dout, the same way that i'm triggering the cutting laser but it refuses to co-operate, using m64/M65 as the command, when i had it tagged as digital output0, where my laser resides, it worked, but not when it's tagged as digital output1.

Ii have checked the forums, but nothing appears to relate that i haven't tried.

I have attached the files i have been working with, if someone could look thru them and suggest a fix or a different approach that would be great.
Thanks
Doug :)
Attachments:

More
06 Jan 2016 10:18 #67956 by andypugh
It's fairly obvious what is missing when you look:
net dout-00 <= motion.digital-out-00
net dout-00         => parport.0.pin-16-out
net dout-01         => parport.0.pin-17-out

You need to connect dout-01 to the next motion.digital-out pin.

More
07 Jan 2016 00:22 - 07 Jan 2016 00:23 #67993 by wl888
Yep, that was it, couldn't see the obvious for looking, my bad. thanks for the direction :(
Doug
Last edit: 07 Jan 2016 00:23 by wl888.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds