Linuxcnc 2.7.? Wheezy loads but wont drive

More
31 Dec 2015 05:03 #67584 by wl888
Hi..Brand new to Linux, loaded linuxcnc 2.7.? from linux.org, expected 2.7.3 but seem to have 2.7.0.
Anyway, ran the config wizard and entered all the values as i had set in Mach3. Ran the program, got the main screen up ok.
* I can load other sample programs, but....
* do not have an active run, execute next line or pause button.
* cannot enter into the midi window.
* motors are not enabled, pin 1 estop out, i'm guessing, i have tried changing the invert box, no luck.
* pin 17 was, in Mach3, for a red dot laser indicator, this is on but i cant turn it off, tried invert box also.
I really want to get this sorted as i am fed up with Mach3 inconsistencies.

If there is a file that i can post please let me know where it is so i can send it.

not sure what some of the terms in pin setup are, as they read differently in Mach3. If there is a simple list/explanation available that would help.

I have gone thru a lot of the forum before writing this and have tried several thing but no luck.

Thanks in advance
Doug :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2015 14:55 #67596 by andypugh
You ought to be able to load the Mach3 XML file directly into Stepconf, rather than doing things by hand.
Some manual tweaking might be needed for things like the laser.

It sounds like your problem is that you have not turned the machine on. In the Axis GUI you do this by clicking the top-left button, then the one next to it. Or pressing F1 then F2.

If this isn't the problem, then it might be something to do with your e-stop chain, and posting your config files would help.

More
31 Dec 2015 15:22 #67599 by cncbasher
do you have a estop , linuxcnc expects a estop pin to ground under normal use , and open for the estop condition
I think you have a few pins that need inverting by what you are saying .
most io pins are normaly open and close situations , but the estop is the only one that expects a closed circuit .
if f1 f2 are greyed out , this will be your problem , it can be overridden in your hal file , to get you away , then work through the errors . but I do guess most will be as mentioned

More
31 Dec 2015 22:45 #67621 by wl888
Andy and Cncbasher
thanks for the reply.

(you have not turned the machine on.)
Top left button is in, 2nd left is unresponsive
F1/F2 unresponsive
Yes, it looks like the software is turned off, but will not turn on.
This is 2.7.0, where do i get 2.7.3 that i have seen on the forums??

config files attached.

I have disconnected from the machine and am now connected to a printer breakout board with LED's attached as an emulator, i have used this method before as a trouble shooter.

there are no responses to "test Axis" but that being said i do not think that i have the correct port address yet, I have a port card added in as the comp does not have a builtin one. Tried to find the address but no luck. This is a dedicated machine for Linuxcnc, no other opp systems on it. 2/266ghz 3gbt ram 1g video card

* do not have an active run, execute next line or pause button.
* cannot enter into the midi window.
* motors are not enabled, pin 1 estop out, i'm guessing, i have tried changing the invert box, no luck.
* pin 17 was, in Mach3, for a red dot laser indicator, this is on but i cant turn it off, tried invert box also.

Doug
Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2015 23:06 #67625 by andypugh

Top left button is in, 2nd left is unresponsive

Top left needs to be out.

But you may not be able to do that unless the e-stop is connected correctly.

Look in the "Machine" menu and at "show HAL config" then the watch tab and add the iocontrol.0.emc-enable pin.

Unless that is true, you won't be able to exit e-stop.

If you want, you can type the following in the box at the bottom of the "show" tab and press "Execute" after each line:
unlinkp iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in
setp iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in 1

Then you will probably be able to pop-out the e-stop button and turn the machine on.

Then you need to work out what is connected in HAL to that pin, and why is isn't doing the right thing.
Attachments:

More
01 Jan 2016 02:33 - 01 Jan 2016 03:02 #67635 by wl888
ok..all updates are in, i now have 2.7.3 ...now cant access the program...get an error message ..see attached
still cant find a straight answer on the forums on a way to find the printer port address reqd for the setup.
where is this Hal everyone is talking about????
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 03:02 by wl888.

More
01 Jan 2016 06:14 - 01 Jan 2016 06:28 #67638 by geoffs
If your parallel port is a PCI plugin card, then you can get the address of the I/O using the command:

lspci -v

Check here: forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/49-basic-config...t-card-address#67604
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 06:28 by geoffs. Reason: Added link

More
01 Jan 2016 09:17 - 01 Jan 2016 09:39 #67640 by Rick G

where is this Hal everyone is talking about?

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/hal/basic_hal.html

You may also look here at parallel port index...
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/parallel-port.html

For the parallel port
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Parallel_Port_Tester
There may be a sample configuration included with linuxcnc under...

Sample configurations
parport

Rick G
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 09:39 by Rick G.

More
01 Jan 2016 11:14 - 01 Jan 2016 11:15 #67643 by andypugh

ok..all updates are in, i now have 2.7.3 ...now cant access the program...get an error message ..see attached
still cant find a straight answer on the forums on a way to find the printer port address reqd for the setup.

It seems you are finding the parallel port by index, which ought to work, but seems to not do:
[ 1188.629130] config string '0 out' 
[ 1188.629900] PARPORT: ERROR: linux parport 0 not found 

There is something interesting earlier in the dmesg
[   18.354858] lp: driver loaded but no devices found 
[   18.422089] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver

It may be necessary to enable the parallel port in the BIOS.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 11:15 by andypugh.

More
01 Jan 2016 21:27 #67663 by wl888
Thanks Andy
That worked, I now have an address of 1c00:2170, I assume from the other posts you directed me to that would translate to 0x1c00 in the linuxcnc setup box. I will try this.
Doug

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds