Can this computer be used?

More
15 Jan 2016 13:50 - 15 Jan 2016 13:57 #68448 by Todd Zuercher
Were you trying to use an Ubuntu CD or one of the Linuxcnc(EMC2) Live CDs?

It might be a little tricky to find one of the old Linuxcnc Live CDs right now. It looks like the web site no longer links to them.
Here is a link to one that I think still works.
dsplabs.upt.ro/~juve/emc/get.php?file=ub...p-emc2-aj13-i386.iso
While this may still be an upgrade dead end (I don't think you can upgrade Linuxcnc past version 2.6 at least not easily), it may at least be a way to easily test your hardware to see if it is worth messing with it further.
If the combination of the old kernel and maybe some more bios tweaks, can get good enough results, then you might want to consider building a custom kernel for a current distro. (such as Wheezy).
Last edit: 15 Jan 2016 13:57 by Todd Zuercher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2016 15:51 #68460 by jamby
Replied by jamby on topic Can this computer be used?
Todd
Good idea. I am in the process of trying to use Lubuntu 12.04 and connecting to linuxcnc repositories for the linuxcnc kernel and files. If this doesn't work out I'll try the link..

Thanks again
Jim

More
15 Jan 2016 18:03 - 15 Jan 2016 18:05 #68476 by jamby
Todd

I threw in the towel on the Lubuntu test and burned a disk from the link you sent. I ran it from the disk and did a latency test.
This was run for more then an hour with 4 glxgears running.

What were you saying about a custom kernel? Know any where with instructions on how to do it??

Thanks for your time
Jim
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jan 2016 18:05 by jamby.

More
15 Jan 2016 18:07 #68478 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Can this computer be used?

Todd

What were you saying about a custom kernel?

That's good enough. (better than my machines).

Upgrade LinuxCNC as far is it will let you then move on to the fun stuff.

More
15 Jan 2016 18:31 - 15 Jan 2016 19:13 #68482 by jamby
This one is the same 'insignia' computer I showed in the last post running Wheezy 2.7 from the disk for 20 min.
edit: should add same conditions.

Thanks
Jim
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jan 2016 19:13 by jamby.

More
15 Jan 2016 21:44 #68493 by Todd Zuercher
There are a few threads about building custom uniprocesor builds for current distros. Here is a link to one.
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/18-computer/272...ese-pcs?limitstart=0

I have never done this my self but according to his post this fellow has.
forum.linuxcnc.org/cb-profile/userprofile/ArcEye

More
16 Jan 2016 04:14 #68514 by jamby
Todd, Andy and All

Thanks so much for all your help. I am giving up on the old insignia machine even though it has great latency numbers 17426 wow. But I am unable to upgrade the emc2 because of repository errors. I followed the upgrade to 2.6 instructions on the wiki and none of the repositories would work. Something has changed but I don't have the patience to figure it out. I followed the address in a browser and the repositories are there but some info is missing.

Checking into the kernel links Todd gave me didn't work out as the first page lead to a dead link for the kernel. And the discussion on the second link proved to me that kernel mods are beyond me. Things are certainly more complex then ten years ago when I made minor changes to a Red Hat kernel.

So back to my Dell 745 with the latest wheezy and 2.7.3 loaded and running. Now I am waiting on the 7i77-n-5i25 kit I ordered yesterday to arrive then I'll be back posting in Milling Machine and looking for lots of info and help.

Much appreciated.
Jim

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds