Urgent help required with EMC please

More
16 Aug 2016 11:35 #78830 by andypugh

I always thought RS485 was faster than the parallel connection, am I wrong? And what about Ethernet

It isn't about data transmission rate, it is about how soon after the data is sent that it arrives at the receiver. The parallel port responds pretty much instantly.

LinuxCNC does not have a real-time interface to RS485 hardware, it all has to pas through the OS and (often) through a USB interface, all of which adds latency.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2016 11:37 #78831 by andypugh

Let us say I want to install a comp for my ATC. For example Orac one. How do I go about it?

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/hal/comp.html

Typically a (one time) terminal command "sudo halcompile --install mycomp.comp" and then you can "loadrt mycomp" in the HAL file.

More
16 Aug 2016 12:15 #78832 by sxyuklad
OK, so only copying and pasting does not work. I will have to install what I am copying in the directory with run terminal.

OK, so here is my problem then. When I am trying to install a comp as advised by ArcEye, I am getting errors. Please see the screenshot, what is the problem? It basically does not want to install dev which I believe is required to install a comp.

Here are the instructions that I followed and there are two screenshots I am sharing, I am getting error on dev install and comp install. Can you please point it out what the problem is.

Here are the instructions I am trying to follow:
Instructions:

in the terminal run:
sudo apt-get install emc2-dev
sudo apt-get install build-essential

Extract the emcochanger component from this text file and place it in a file named emcochanger.comp , copy this to you config file.
cd/linuxcnc/configs/ "your lathe name" /
install the component with:
sudo comp --install emcochanger.comp

Extract the hal component and add it to your .hal file.

And that is why my linuxcnc is not running now. It gives me comp loading error.

Please help me out. I want to try my ATC code that I altered.
Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2016 12:24 #78833 by sxyuklad
Tried a few other things... I will still not install my comp or dev even I think. See screenshot
Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2016 12:28 #78834 by sxyuklad
Still will not install comp. I do not know why it will not find the file. I have already copied emcochanger.comp in my config directory where there are other files like hal and ini files

See screenshot.
Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2016 12:30 - 16 Aug 2016 12:30 #78835 by Todd Zuercher
The instructions you must have looked up must have been old. 4 or 5 years ago Linuxcnc was known as EMC2, some corporation took offense and their lawyers forced us to rename it.
The first command should have been.
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-dev
Last edit: 16 Aug 2016 12:30 by Todd Zuercher.

More
16 Aug 2016 12:38 #78836 by sxyuklad
I tried installing by giving full path, still errors... see screenshot

Oh my God linux is so difficult even installing something... I wish it was as easy as simply running by double clicking an exe file on windows.
Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2016 12:39 #78837 by andypugh

OK, so here is my problem then. When I am trying to install a comp as advised by ArcEye, I am getting errors. Please see the screenshot, what is the problem? It basically does not want to install dev which I believe is required to install a comp..

The software has not been allowed to be called "EMC" for several years. (The EMC2 corporation had bigger lawyers than us).

You should be able to get "linuxcnc-dev" from the Synaptic Package Manager.

Or, if you prefer, with "sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-dev"

More
16 Aug 2016 12:39 #78838 by sxyuklad
and here is my comp file that i am trying to install...
Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2016 12:41 #78839 by sxyuklad
If you see all my posts, I have already tried this:

And I got the this screenshot, it nothing changed at the end, is it installed now or not?
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds