gscreen industrial virtual keyboard on Debian strech

More
20 Feb 2018 18:31 #106243 by cmorley
hmm well I was using Mint - i think I have a stretch set up on a laptop - ill see if that makes a difference.
The print screen you posted says that matchbox did do something - it could be the embedding process rather the the matchbox program.

I wish linuxcnc just used Mint

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2018 01:19 #106263 by rodw
[quote="cmorley" post=106243
I wish linuxcnc just used Mint

Chris M[/quote]

x 2. Mint is a really nice GUI environment and great hardware support. B)

More
21 Feb 2018 04:41 #106267 by cmorley
So it seems Debian stretch's version of matchbox (i'm assuming a bit here) is not working correctly.
Gmoccapy nor Gscreen will show it yet it works in a terminal.
Unfortunately it's actually a new version then the one in Mint 18.2
I tried to back port to the old version but I would need to compile it - and that is just too much.
i guess next is to find a version of Onboard that could be added...

Rod:
linuxcnc used to use Ubuntu and that was to help it be more user friendly and installable.
I sometimes thing we forget that that is important.
There are stupid legal things that Ubuntu and Mint require to officially allow us to use them that are a bit vague and difficult.
like you must remove any mention of Ubuntu or Mint.
After the 'EMC' legal BS the developers are pretty gun shy of that kind of stuff.

Chris M

More
21 Feb 2018 04:59 #106268 by rodw
Chris, yeh, I know all of the problems with the licensing. Basically I've only ever used Mint as I needed it to get the preemptive kernel for my Mesa card as nothing (pre stretch) liked modern hardware.

When I first tried to get a touch screen keyboard working. Matchbox went nowhere so I adopted onboard which worked perfectly. Then recently onboard had gone AWOL from Gmoccappy so I tried Matchbox which stilled failed.

Then onboard was a bit intermittent and rarely appeared. Eventually I noticed it worked if you ran it before LinuxCnC in the RIP terminal window. So then I added onboard as a startup program from within the Mint GUI and its been perfect ever since.

This was probably the most informative info I found about Onboard and mint. I assumed that my keyboard problem was as a result of Mint blocking the program.

github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/6816
I know this has nothing to do with Stretch but it seems the whole issue of onboard keyboards is problematic.

More
21 Feb 2018 05:41 #106269 by cmorley
I did add onboard to my stretch system (using synaptics) and it seemed to work, so I suggest trying that.

I use Mint - it's a pain to set up but oh so much nicer to use.

Chris M

More
21 Feb 2018 06:35 #106270 by mpvriens
thanks on your support, i'll try onboard first,elso go to Mint

Marius

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds