Optical encoders with DC motors

More
03 Apr 2018 20:47 #108339 by rodw
Wait no, I found the models still looking for the drives....
Yaskawa servopack sgde-a5bp drive
sgme-a5bf12 motor servo CNC Stepper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2018 23:32 #108411 by tommylight
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...S7DwTi5EEgunaQmoJueV

Those are position control drives, so they use step/dir inputs, so yes they can be easily wired to parallel port, but and this is a big but, you will get very limited speed form them due to paraport limitations and depending on the encoders used. That is a link to the pdf with all the info on motors and drives. Drives can do 200w.

More
05 Apr 2018 02:46 #108415 by rodw

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...S7DwTi5EEgunaQmoJueV

Those are position control drives, so they use step/dir inputs, so yes they can be easily wired to parallel port, but and this is a big but, you will get very limited speed form them due to paraport limitations and depending on the encoders used. That is a link to the pdf with all the info on motors and drives. Drives can do 200w.

Tommy, thanks so much for that. I've kept a copy of the document. I had found one previously but yours seems better. I really just grabbed them so I could play with servos one day. They are too small for much but I thought they'd be interesting to use on a small plotter or something Just like whats been done here.

More
05 Apr 2018 22:49 #108468 by tommylight
Your motors are rated at 50W, probably 100 to 120 in short bursts and that is plenty for a light gantry plasma cnc. A while ago i had build a 2X1.25 meters plasma cutter with nema 17 motors and it ran fine, never skipped a beat. Had to change the motors as whoever took a look at it started complaining that the motors are to small.
Use small pulleys on the motors and try to get the ratio from 1:7 to 1:10, you would be surprised at what can those tinny motors do.
Or just mail them to me, and i will name the machine i use them on "the RodW" !!! :)

More
06 Apr 2018 09:28 #108485 by rodw

Your motors are rated at 50W, probably 100 to 120 in short bursts and that is plenty for a light gantry plasma cnc. A while ago i had build a 2X1.25 meters plasma cutter with nema 17 motors and it ran fine, never skipped a beat. Had to change the motors as whoever took a look at it started complaining that the motors are to small.
Use small pulleys on the motors and try to get the ratio from 1:7 to 1:10, you would be surprised at what can those tinny motors do.
Or just mail them to me, and i will name the machine i use them on "the RodW" !!! :)

Tommy, you are full of great ideas so thanks. With a bit of luck I will have forgotten your mailing idea by the time I find where I put them!

More
06 Apr 2018 13:16 #108506 by andypugh
Have you seen: emergent.unpythonic.net/projects/01142347802

(CNC Etch-a-sketch)

More
06 Apr 2018 13:19 #108507 by andypugh

Guys, here is the result of my work over optical encoders and PID control in LinuxCNC the last days:

That looks like a pretty good basis for a pick-and-place machine for PCB assembly. (and you could also use it to apply etch resist to PCBs, ordinary OHP marker pens work just fine as etch-resist.

More
06 Apr 2018 14:15 - 06 Apr 2018 14:16 #108512 by cptX
Hi andypugh, yes I know the etch-servo project. I was based on it to create mine.
pick-and-place looks very complicated.To apply etch resist looks more feasible.
From my experience on the machine you saw in my video, I can say that if the forces are great then when approaching to final positions you have some delays. I trimmed the PIDs when the heads were alone. I didn't retrim it after the final assembly. Also the speed you see in the video maybe the 1/10 of what is possible with these motors. But the whole assembly has a lot elasticity and backlash, so I cannot run it much faster. Actually these printer heads are very cheap quality...
Good quality heads have metal bearings on the guides. This had only plastic and not fitting very well. I 3D printed afterwards some bearings to reduce some plays.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2018 14:16 by cptX.

More
06 Apr 2018 23:22 #108535 by tommylight

Tommy, you are full of great ideas so thanks. With a bit of luck I will have forgotten your mailing idea by the time I find where I put them!

Or something like this :

They can etch on any hard surface so very useful.

More
07 Apr 2018 05:09 #108544 by rodw
Very interesting Tommy. I had thought of doing a CoreXY something or other. So this is ideal as there is no need to build a Z axis.
How fast would those spindles be?
What software is needed to generate the gcode?

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds