Okuma Servo Drives

More
05 Jun 2018 06:33 - 05 Jun 2018 06:42 #111648 by Diederik
Okuma Servo Drives was created by Diederik

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Hi.

I have a Okuma LB15, with Okuma servo drives. I attached the electrical drawings of the machine, and you will see on page 24, (W1500-555-232) it has the XB1-1 and XB1-2 connections for the command signals. This is unfamiliar teritory, but something that I would like to learn, and know how it works. I believe this is serial communication, and from forums, I understand that this is possible with smartserial communication ( I believe it should be similar to the 8i20 communication?). I need guidance as to what Mesa cards will be able to handle these signals. ...? If there is any?

Signals: Clock
Clock-K
Ser DATA-N
Ser DATA
Strobe
Strobe-N

Are these signals that can be controlled from Mesa cards?
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jun 2018 06:42 by Diederik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2018 17:00 #111768 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Okuma Servo Drives
This is likely to be harder than you seem to be assuming. Mesa smartserial and the Okuma serial comms are likely to format the data in very different ways.

The first thing you will need is some information about the data packet format of the drives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diederik

More
07 Jun 2018 21:11 - 07 Jun 2018 21:16 #111939 by Diederik
Replied by Diederik on topic Okuma Servo Drives
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your input.

So... My thinking: It might be easier to just rather replace the servo Drives...? I think all the time that might go into the researching of how this works, might ... possibly ... cost me more time, tears and frustration, which costs more than just replacing them?? It's a pitty. I believe these drives is quite capable, and reliable. It would be awesome if there could be some type of interface, that can convert the analog signals to the okuma digital communication. Like a analog to digital converter. Have anyone ever heard of something like that that is available for these Okuma drives?
Last edit: 07 Jun 2018 21:16 by Diederik.

More
07 Jun 2018 21:36 #111940 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Okuma Servo Drives
On my company we had changed a Okuma LB15 II to use linuxcnc. It was the first large project for us using linuxcnc, and we did replace the originals servo drives (X,Z and toolchage). If you look on the forum you will probably find some posts, with many questions of my side.

More
07 Jun 2018 21:58 #111941 by andypugh
Did you figure anything out about the original drives?

What type of motor and encoder do they use?

More
08 Jun 2018 03:55 #111960 by Henk
Replied by Henk on topic Okuma Servo Drives
Hi There
I looked at this for Diederik and came across some info on the web

cncmanual.com/okuma-drive-units-bl-ii-d-...-maintenance-manual/
s3.amazonaws.com/Icarus/DOCUMENTS/Okuma_Manuals_3695.pdf

I briefly scanned through them but couldn't find any detail about the data packet format. It is possible that I have missed it and I will have a better look over the weekend, but I have a feeling that that info is not included.

The motors are fitted with absolute serial encoders. these encoders communicate with the SVP board which sends a current command to the Servo Amp (BL IID).
The pulse handle (mpg I assume) also connects to the SVP board.

I have a feeling that the position loop is actually controlled by the SVP board and that the main board only sends the commanded position to the SVP, but I may be mistaken.

Sadly, I don't think it is worth pursuing this option unless we can find the detail on the serial communication, but hopefully someone out there can assist with this detail

Henk

More
08 Jun 2018 08:06 #111972 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Okuma Servo Drives
In my case, I replaced the original absolute encoders with incremental encoders.
A conical shaft was made that fits on the motor shaft and on the incremental encoders. They were standard 3 phase AC servos.

More
08 Jun 2018 09:27 - 08 Jun 2018 09:28 #111979 by andypugh
The chances of getting the original absolute encoders working are pretty good. LinuxCNC supports quite a variety of them now.

What is the power rating of the motors? I am wondering if this would be a good fit for the STMBL drive (which also closes the position loop in the drive, and handles a wide range of feedback system. An extract from the docs:

Currently supported command interfaces are:
Mesa Smart-Serial
Step-Dir
Quadrature
Serial
+/-10V control is not supported, though the hardware capability exists.

Currently supported feedback interfaces are:
Encoder
Resolver
sin/cos 1vpp
Hall sensors
Mitsubishi absolute encoder
Yaskawa absolute encoder
Sanyo Denki absolute encoder
Fanuc serial encoder

The hardware has the capability to support other protocols like:
EnDat
BiSS
SSI
Modbus
Profibus
Hiperface
CANopen

Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 09:28 by andypugh.

More
08 Jun 2018 09:41 #111984 by Henk
Replied by Henk on topic Okuma Servo Drives
I have used the Mesa 8i20's before and I believe the STMBL drives are similar, but I don't think they are big enough for these motors.

The existing drives are rated 50A and 100A respectively for X and Z.

Maybe Diederik can post a photo of the motor nameplates.

Henk

More
09 Jun 2018 01:32 #112036 by andypugh

I have used the Mesa 8i20's before and I believe the STMBL drives are similar, but I don't think they are big enough for these motors.

8i20 is a "dumb" drive and STMBL is a smart drive, though they both work well with LinuxCNC and use smart serial (I actually have a machine that uses 3 x 8i20 and 1 x STMBL)
But yes, depending on the power IC fitted the STMBL can handle up to 20A. 100A for Z seems pretty excessive, that's something like 20kW?

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds