Does LinuxCNC work on Mint

More
03 Sep 2018 16:01 #117015 by Fabian
Hi
As you can see by my question I'm a newbie to LinuxCNC. I recently bought an ASUS laptop that had Windows 10 as the operating system and it was a nightmare after years of using Windows 7 and its forerunners. So it was a no brainer to install Linux Mint over the top of it.

Now I've just finished building my CNC Router, but don't have a windows laptop to run the software. I'm certainly not hauling my desktop computer into the garden shed to run the cnc off of it.

So will my Mint run LinuxCNC without any problems and where would be the best place to get video tutorials and forums (Besides this one of course) on running a Linux based cnc router.

Thanks a lot.

Fabian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2018 17:03 #117016 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Does LinuxCNC work on Mint
Yes, LinuxCNC runs on Mint but you need to install a real time kernel

That said, Laptops are typically not good LinuxCNC hosts due to having power management firmware that cannot be disabled, leading to poor real time performance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joekline9

More
03 Sep 2018 22:02 #117030 by tommylight
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...h-rip-install-or-deb
It also works on 18.3
As PCW said, new laptops are no good for machine control, but some are usable for sure, i use a Dell Latitude E6510 with very crappy latency ( over 300.000 ) so not good at all, but i use it only for testing and a Lenovo T420S ( latency over 100.000 ) again just for testing, not for production. Lenovo X220 is quite usable despite high latency but it has no spikes, used it a lot some time ago, not using it any more.
The thing is, using a laptop that is by all means portable to control a machine that is not portable is not reasonable to me, so i just use older desktop computers, mostly Dell optiplex series as they are very reliable and very cheap.

More
04 Sep 2018 07:42 #117044 by Fabian
Replied by Fabian on topic Does LinuxCNC work on Mint
Thanks for your replies
Not exactly promising as I spent every penny I had on the CNC and nothing left for a desktop computer. Well I'l have to muddle through for now with the laptop as best I can. Never knew about that in all the videos I'd watched or the forums I visited, that never came up.
All the other cnc owners I've seen online always had a laptop by the side of there machine.I'll have to load the LinuxCNC into my Asus and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Fabian

More
05 Sep 2018 00:05 #117078 by scubawarm
The laptop is to drip feed an older control... Not BE the control

More
05 Sep 2018 02:38 - 05 Sep 2018 16:14 #117079 by Todd Zuercher

The laptop is to drip feed an older control... Not BE the control

That is unfortunate because that is one thing that Linuxcnc is incapable of. Linuxcnc is not a DNC or communication program, it is a machine control system on its own.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2018 16:14 by Todd Zuercher. Reason: added quote for clarity

More
05 Sep 2018 08:38 #117085 by Fabian
You've opened a can of worms.

What I will probably do in the near future is find a second hand Dell optiplex series Desktop Computer and use that as recommended by tommylight and thanks to him for the installation link.

Thanks.

More
05 Sep 2018 15:00 #117113 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Does LinuxCNC work on Mint
What is the hardware interface of your CNC?

More
06 Sep 2018 15:44 #117154 by Fabian
Would that be SPARK Concepts xPro v3

See how educated CNC wise I am.

More
06 Sep 2018 17:27 #117155 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Does LinuxCNC work on Mint
If you have a SPARK Concepts xPro v3 that is not a LInuxCNC compatible motion device, its a GRBL implementation complete with step drivers. GRBL is a different motion control system and normally has a user interface program like Chilipeppr on the host PC

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds