Controlling spindle speed on SiegX2 with 0-10v analogue on MX3660 output SOLVED

More
18 Dec 2018 13:47 - 18 Dec 2018 13:48 #122570 by jools
HI All

I'm just trying to use all the functionality of my Leadshine MX3660 which controls my Sieg X2p mini mill. One of the things I would like is to have spindle speed, direction and on/off controlled by Linuxcnc rather than manually. I have three inputs spare which I am going to hook up to a rotary encoder for feedback and speed but what I really want to know about is how to use the analogue 0-10v out on the MX3660 to control the speed.

The manual potentiometer seems to be 0-4.7V and there is a switch (well connector for a switch) in the mills control box that you flip for forwards and reverse (I think a relay hooked up to an output would do forward reverse). So as the manual potentiometer is 0-4.7 volts I wondered how I can utilise the 0-10v to run it? Can I connect it direct with a voltage decreaser? Do I need seperate circuit boards? little machine shop in America do a unit for $125 ( here )but just wondering if an easy fix is on hand using cheaper components.

Cheers

Jools
Attachments contain photos of my power boards
Last edit: 18 Dec 2018 13:48 by jools. Reason: Attachments didn't attach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2018 15:03 #122574 by jools
Further info:

The attachment is an excerpt from the C11-gs BOB ( manual ) which seems to suggest that that particular BOB can do it and it is as simple as connecting the wires. It seems to rely on the voltage from the BOB being optically isolated and then just wiring it in.

Any thoughts anyone?
Attachments:

More
19 Dec 2018 02:14 #122587 by JohnnyCNC
That's pretty much how it worked on my Sieg X3. I used a Mesa 7i76 rather than a C11 but that part of it looks pretty much the same. The C11 manual says 12vdc or less so I think you will be OK with out worrying about reducing the voltage.

More
19 Dec 2018 15:57 #122597 by pl7i92
the mesa does only output 0-10V on the Spindle interface

More
23 Dec 2018 18:48 #122788 by andypugh
Just be aware (and careful) that if it is a KBIC spindle controller then the potentiometer floats at +100V so you need to keep it away from anything grounded, including yourself.

More
03 Jan 2019 17:17 #123415 by jools
Hi
was your board/setup optically isolated? I'm not sure the MX3660 I have is. Will this make a difference?

More
03 Jan 2019 17:18 #123416 by jools

Just be aware (and careful) that if it is a KBIC spindle controller then the potentiometer floats at +100V so you need to keep it away from anything grounded, including yourself.

It's just the standard Sieg X2 spindle controller as far as I'm aware. Voltage across the potentiometer was 4.7v dc

More
04 Jan 2019 01:37 #123448 by JohnnyCNC
If the X2 is the same as the X3 then the P1,P2,P3 connections to the potentiometer must be optically isolated from all other circuits. The voltage across the potentiometer may only measure 4.7 volts but the voltage between either terminal and ground may be MUCH higher. As Andy said be careful. Shorting either side of the pot to ground will likely blow the board. Been there - done that.

If you ever need to get your board repaired here is a great place with excellent service. www.olduhfguy.com

Checkout the CNC Interfacing section of his site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jools

More
08 Jan 2019 15:21 #123778 by jools
So I've heard back from Leadshine and the analogue output is optically isolated.

Am I then correct in thinking it's a straight connection from the +ve to +ve on the machine, the variable to the wiper and the two grounds together?

Jools

More
08 Jan 2019 15:28 - 08 Jan 2019 15:31 #123780 by andypugh
Have you measured the voltage between the wiper and GND?

As we keep saying, this could be 100+ volts. You need to measure it and report back.

If you connect analogue GND to machine GND and then 100V to the wiper then bad things will happen.

(It doesn't help here that the Leadshine docs are using "GND" in a very vague and probably incorrect way)
Last edit: 08 Jan 2019 15:31 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds