Controlling spindle speed on SiegX2 with 0-10v analogue on MX3660 output SOLVED

More
08 Jan 2019 18:02 #123783 by jools

Have you measured the voltage between the wiper and GND?

As we keep saying, this could be 100+ volts. You need to measure it and report back.

If you connect analogue GND to machine GND and then 100V to the wiper then bad things will happen.

(It doesn't help here that the Leadshine docs are using "GND" in a very vague and probably incorrect way)

OK I'll go measure that. Where is the machine ground that I should measure it from? I 'm on daddy daycare so can't look at the machine but if anyone can look at the photo's in my first post and point me to which connection I need to measure it too that would be fantastic.

Jools

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2019 13:11 #123826 by jools

That's pretty much how it worked on my Sieg X3. I used a Mesa 7i76 rather than a C11 but that part of it looks pretty much the same. The C11 manual says 12vdc or less so I think you will be OK with out worrying about reducing the voltage.

Hi Andy and Johnny

I'm still a bit confused. I went out to the machine this morning and had a look and am unsure which "gnd" I should be measuring to.

From what I can see there are three boards in the control area.

Board 1 is located at the bottom and has an input and output. The input is 240VAC from the mains. I am unsure what the out put is. The output is linked to the power switch for the spindle then goes into board two. There is an earth wire that grounds onto the machine.

Board 2 is located above board one and has the input from the spindle switch into it plus 3 other wires. I think they were marked U V W and they go to the motor. There is a small connector with about five wires in it that looks to go to the motor too. Board 3 is connected to board via a number of soldered pins (maybe 12). Board two shares the common AC GND with board 1

Board 3 This is connected to board two with the soldered pins mentioned above. There is a connector that has ten wires in it that runs up to the 'on/off & potentiometer' housing. I assume this board is DC but am guessing purely as it has the potentiometer attached to it. I cannot see any positive, negative or ground pins on this board

Please can you give anymore help with where I should measure it too.

I attached the quote for Johnny as in it he states he simply connected his control up in the manner I propose to and it was ok so it has just confused me a bit more.

Sorry for being crap with electronics and a burden on your time but I do appreciate all the help you are giving.

Jools

More
09 Jan 2019 13:25 #123827 by jools
So I just set my voltmeter to 20VDC and measured from the wiper pin to the earthed machine frame and it was between .05 and .12 v.

Is that what you meant?

More
09 Jan 2019 16:39 #123837 by andypugh
That sounds like you are probably OK then.

My voice of caution was based on the large blue sparks that happened when I tried to connect my KBIC speed controller to CNC control. I then found that the pot on the speed controller was floating 120V above GND.

I am still a bit surprised that the wiper only shows 0.12V above GND< I would expect somewhere between 0 and 5v depending on the position of the knob.

More
09 Jan 2019 22:17 #123876 by tommylight
Might be it has a floating ground for the speed control. Seen some of those, they do have a totally separated speed control on the 0-10V and the 0-20mA inputs and an isolated power supply. They do not care if you wire that GND to the machine GND.
Nonetheless, you should make sure it is of that type.

More
10 Jan 2019 12:27 #123896 by jools

I am still a bit surprised that the wiper only shows 0.12V above GND< I would expect somewhere between 0 and 5v depending on the position of the knob.

I thought that too as no matter the knob position the voltages stays the same. But just seems to be a different reading each time I take it.

More
24 Feb 2019 11:27 #127046 by jools
Been a bit of time on this but finally getting round to implementing it and have errors from the HAL.

I read the documentation and added the below to my hal file:

loadrt pwmgen output_type=0
addf pwmgen.update servo-thread
addf pwmgen.make-pulses base-thread
net spindle-speed-cmd motion.spindle-speed-out => pwmgen.0.value
net spindle-on motion.spindle-on => pwmgen.0.enable
net spindle-pwm pwmgen.0.pwm => parport.0.pin-14-out
# Set the spindle's top speed in RPM
setp pwmgen.0.scale 1800

then I started up CNC but got an error message below:

Debug file information:
./Jools_mill.hal:114: Pin 'motion.spindle-speed-out' was already linked to signal 'spindle-cmd-rpm'
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components

I've attached my hal and ini files and the full report below so if anyone can help that would be great.

Jools
Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2019 12:55 #127050 by jools
Update:

I ran a new stepconf with the spindle enabled and copied the parts from that hal file to my hal file. seems to work now so will get on with testing it.

Jools

More
24 Feb 2019 15:02 - 26 Feb 2019 14:37 #127056 by jools
So I've attached it to the potentiometer but it's not working. I've tested the PWM with a 9v battery connected through the 10V input of the MX3660 then attached my multimeter to the 0-10V analog out put and the other battery terminal.

With the spindle turned off the voltage is 7.4v and as I up the spindle speed the voltage goes up to 7.75v and I was expectin it to go from zero to 7.7 ish as the mx3660 drops it by 1.1v.

This was done on a clean install just to make sure it wasn't my original setting on my mill that are causing the problem, I've attached the hal and ini files below.

Any thoughts would be great.

Jools
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2019 14:37 by jools.

More
26 Feb 2019 14:38 #127161 by jools
So this is sorted now.

I just had to remove the old potentiometer and wire it directly and it worked.

Jools

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds