question when using chinese servo drives with original motors

More
04 Feb 2019 22:00 #125693 by Becksvill
Hi guys

I have a chinese servo drive and also have a bunch of yasakawa servo drives which I am trying to get working with my original heidenhain servos. I have a incremental encoder which is supposed to be compatible from the chinese servo drive company, installed on my motor and I want to know if I need to align the encoder to the motor poles to get good commutation. I am a little out of my depth and hoping that someone here can shed some light on my problem.

regards

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2019 22:33 #125697 by Todd Zuercher
Yes they will need to be aligned. But the procedure for doing so, varies from drive to drive, and manufacturer to manufacturer. Plus I doubt the procedure will be covered in the pathetic documentation that comes with most Chinese products.

Also many servo drives are only ever intended to be used with the motors they were designed for, and don't offer any means for accommodating other commutation schemes.

More
22 Feb 2019 21:19 #126958 by Yannis
Hi
i try the same with Chinese driver and encoder and fanuc motors
the problem in my case was different voltage
the fanuc work with 155 volt the Chinese with 220 volt
as for the aligning procedure it is easy
you have to set some parameters and then it is automatic procedure
hope this is helpful

More
23 Feb 2019 08:28 #126992 by Becksvill
Its good to hear someone else has tried the chinese servo drives.

have you actually managed to get some working with your motors?

I also have a cnc lathe with a fanuc controller so might go down the same path after the mill retrofit.

I think we should compare notes and might be able to help each other out.

More
24 Feb 2019 16:26 #127058 by Yannis
In my case the fanuc motors are working with 155 volts and the Chinese
with 220 volts so there are incompatible
There 2 other options one with Mesa bldc and another one with Argon driver
The cost of Argon 4 pieces for my cnc it was around 3000 euros higher than
new Chinese servo set
So i replace the fanuc motors also with Chinese ones

More
24 Feb 2019 20:54 - 24 Feb 2019 20:57 #127068 by Richard J Kinch

Its good to hear someone else has tried the chinese servo drives.

have you actually managed to get some working with your motors?

I'm successfully running six China AC servo motors (110ST-M06030 1.8 kW and 80ST-M02430 0.75 kW models) using the China AASD drives typically sold with those motors. The documentation is full of mystery, but the products are well made and perform as promised. You can configure them to run in position mode with step/dir inputs, or speed mode with 0-10V analog input. There's also a 0-10V torque mode that I haven't tried. The trick to interfacing them is that they work off 12-24VDC PLC levels, not TTL, so you need a level shifter to work with TTL parallel port or other signal sources.

The AASD is configurable to a range of motor currents, so they might work with some non-China 3-phase AC servo motors.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2019 20:57 by Richard J Kinch.

More
26 Feb 2019 22:26 #127204 by andypugh

In my case the fanuc motors are working with 155 volts and the Chinese
with 220 volts so there are incompatible

That's not necessarily a problem, motors are fairly un-fussy about voltage in general. The insulation is probably OK to several kV.

If the current limits are configured properly then the over-voltage is likely to not be a problem.

More
27 Feb 2019 07:05 #127224 by Yannis
andypugh: If the current limits are configured properly

this is the heart of the issue
when i ask the seller the answer was that this settings are made only in the factory

More
27 Feb 2019 21:40 - 27 Feb 2019 22:09 #127295 by Richard J Kinch

when i ask the seller the answer was that this settings are made only in the factory

What your Chinese seller likely means is that they sell you a motor and controller together as a set, and they provide the service of making the non-volatile configuration settings in the controller you're buying match the motor that you're buying, out of the box. That's the way the China manufacturer delivers the kits. The sellers on Aliexpress or Banggood seem to be just drop-shipping factory kits, not mixing and matching controllers/motors wholesaled separately. So "settings are made only in the factory" means "settings are not made by me the seller". It does not mean you can't change those settings.

I believe the kits are factory determined. When I bought kits in an assortment of motor sizes, I asked if they could just ship all 30A controllers instead of the 15A on the smaller motors, at some extra price, and they couldn't do that. Rarely do you see the controllers offered for sale separately. Considering that a 1.8kW motor with the 30A controller sells for only $100 more than a 0.75kW motor and 15A controller, the price difference in the controllers can't be much. I wanted to standardize on all 30A controllers to simplify installation and spares, but the sellers won't do business that way, because they can only source kits.

The AASD controllers are reconfigurable using the keypad. The AASD-15A model handles up to 15 amps, other models such as the 30A are identical other than higher current input and output stages. You can set the current output limit from a coded table of motor models, or for a specific amperage.

The high-voltage supply is watched by configurable alarms with default settings at > 200VDC and < 365VDC, so those might be limits that you can safely assume.

The documentation is autotranslated and hard to comprehend. I assume the author wrote Mandarin for "undervoltage alarm level", but in the Engrish manual this comes out as "Low pressure alarm detect amplitude". Words like "numerator" come out as "molecule". Limit switches are "driving bans". It's a bit of alien puzzle decoding.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 22:09 by Richard J Kinch.

More
28 Feb 2019 07:37 #127311 by Becksvill
Hey Richard

Have you ever tried going straight to the factories to buy your servo drives?

I have bought my drives direct and the sellers definitely know what they are talking about as the designers in the next room to the sales man. I am also fighting bad manuals but they are definitely written in clear english at least. my problem is the manual is a generic manual for a couple of different drives lol. But the sellers can answer questions personally so it is not too bad.

Regards

Andrew

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds