How difficult is Linux CNC to wrap your head around for a beginner?

More
02 Aug 2019 21:48 #141234 by SPH
I'm about to purchase hardware for a analogue servo driven router retrofit. I started out thinking the 5i25+7i77 was the way to go, got spooked by the learning curve of LCNC and went looking at the CS labs hardware which has the benefit of Mach3 which I know.
I still think the Messa hardware looks great and the price is about 1/3 the cost of the CSMIO.

The machine uses Yaskawa SGDB servo drives and a HSD spindle powered by a Yaskawa VFD.

Everything I've read about setting up servo axis' looks borderline incomprehensible.
This forums looks to be a great resource and I've read a lot of helpful info already.
My question is, for a Linux illiterate guy like me, roughly how difficult is it going to be to navigate the setup of this machine using LCNC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2019 22:28 #141237 by tommylight
Dive in!
Plenty of us to hold your hand to the deep end.
Only this way will you find out how magnificent Linuxcnc is.

More
02 Aug 2019 23:43 #141242 by JohnnyCNC
Don't let Linux spook you. The help and support for LinuxCNC and Mesa hardware are superb on this site. There is a new version about to be released very soon so you can just start with that and won't have to do a major update for a while. Once you make the switch you will have a current and supported system.

More
03 Aug 2019 02:18 #141244 by Todd Zuercher
If you are familiar with working with other cncs I don't think it would be that hard .

You will need to get used to working with Linux. But it is not all that hard. Especially if you are willing to look up the answers to your questions on the Internet with a little googling.

More
03 Aug 2019 03:33 #141248 by rodw
The Linux bit is immaterial really today.
The LinuxCNC will take a bit of time to understand but I knew nothing about either and before long these guys had me running like a pro. There is still a huge amount I don't understand without any CNC background, servos being one of them.
But when the time comes, I know these guys will make sure I don't fail.

More
03 Aug 2019 12:02 #141266 by SPH
Ok ok ok. I think I'll take the plunge. The knowledge that there's a great support base really helps confidence levels.

I think I'll get straight to ordering hardware so I can get stuck in.

Is there anything I should know before I order? I was always planning on the 5i25+7i77 plug and go kit but I see there's a 7i92 ethernet FPGA. Is that worth considering or is the PCI card the way to go?
Also, do I want the sinking or sourcing version of the 7i77?

To give the basics of the machine again, 10v+- analogue servos, HSD 10hp spindle with tool in/out sensors, rotary tool changer, home and +/- limit switches, some pneumatic's for the spindle, brake on the z axis servo... I'm probably forgetting some things. I'm thinking 48 I/O points should be fine.

Ugh, shipping from the US to AUS sucks. $100 Australian pesos. Blows it out to $550 Aus. Still half the price of the CSMIO though. I guess I could collect rocks for a hobby.

More
03 Aug 2019 12:31 #141267 by rodw
So you are another Aussie? A few of us here now. I'm in Brisbane.

So there are a couple of ways to go with hardware but essentially there is no difference between ethernet and PCI/PCIe once you are up and running.

The advantage of ethernet (7i92 & 7i77) is that you can locate your PC wherever you want. That is helpful for noise management with plasma builds. But if you are going to operate the machine from a console that is built into the machine using a PC motherboard that has say a 12 volt power supply allows you to treat the motherboard as just another component and mount it in the control box. In this case PCI makes sense.

More
03 Aug 2019 12:43 #141270 by tommylight
If the control panel is near the machine electronics ( like 1.5 meter or less ) get the 5i25 for PCI or 6i25 for PCI-E.
If it is further, get the 7i92M as it can be inserted directly to 7i77 and the only cable going to the computer is a CAT6.
As for sinking or sourcing, that is up to the existing wiring, so check that first.
While you're at it, get another 7i84, you might need it and it is very easy to add to the above, adding another 32 inputs and 16 outputs. At that cost, it pays just for the luxury of having it.

More
03 Aug 2019 19:23 - 03 Aug 2019 19:31 #141291 by Grotius
Hi Sam,

Still half the price of the CSMIO though.

CSMIO is not working on Debian 9, 64bit. They only work with ubuntu 32 bit i think. I expect it will run on a non realtime kernel.
Once i tried their install. That failed. I contacted them, and this was the ansfer.

For a few bucs more you get a Ethercat controller, depending on your i/o list. But mesa fpga is for sure very cool !!
Last edit: 03 Aug 2019 19:31 by Grotius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
03 Aug 2019 22:32 #141301 by SPH
Sorry, you’ve lost me. I’m a total beginner with Linux.
Are you saying the Cslabs controller is a better option or not so much?

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds