How difficult is Linux CNC to wrap your head around for a beginner?

More
09 Aug 2019 10:12 #141738 by SPH
I just got through installing 2.7 before I saw your post Rod. I saw on another post you mentioned a how to for installing the Master branch version (which is 2.9 now I guess?)
Can you point me in the right direction for installing the new version?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2019 10:19 #141739 by SPH
Actually, better question, can I get the files to update the install and put them on a USB key? The new PC isn't on the network.
The instructions are actually pretty straight forward but they're not going to work without an internet connection.

More
09 Aug 2019 10:23 #141740 by SPH
Oh and my router is actually a single sided gantry, so gantry squaring isn't actually a big deal on this machine. Would have been on my old one. I'd still be happy starting from the newest build though.

Just want to say thanks again, it must get tedious answering 100 variations of the same 10 questions all the time.

More
09 Aug 2019 10:34 #141741 by rodw
I've always installed linuxcnc using a wired connection. I've never done it but I am told you can install Linux on a PC and remove the HDD and put it in another PC. So I think I'd try that in the absence of internet.

Upgrading to V 2.8 or 2.9 is pretty simple if you follow the instructions on the buildbot
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ but you can do it in Synaptic without touching the command line.
You could probably do that hotspotting to your phone if you grabbed a USB Wifi Dongle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SPH

More
09 Aug 2019 10:42 #141742 by SPH
All good, I'll get a cable to it and use the buildbot instructions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
09 Aug 2019 11:25 #141744 by tommylight
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/~buildmaster/dists...ch/master-rtpreempt/

Download the version you need to a USB, open it with gdebi, enter password, 1 sip of coffee, use it.

More
09 Aug 2019 17:05 #141797 by Clive S

I've always installed linuxcnc using a wired connection. I've never done it but I am told you can install Linux on a PC and remove the HDD and put it in another PC. So I think I'd try that in the absence of internet.

I do that a lot. I have also put linuxcnc on a small drive 60gb then cloned it with Clonezilla then used Etcher to make the iso into a bootable usb this way flashing another drive is simple and quick.

More
09 Aug 2019 22:04 #141819 by SPH
I installed the 2.7.14 Debian 7 Wheezy version, which file do I need to download to upgrade?

More
10 Aug 2019 07:08 #141847 by Clive S

I installed the 2.7.14 Debian 7 Wheezy version, which file do I need to download to upgrade?

If you don't require gantry homing (ie a home switch each side for gantry squaring) then 2.7.14 should be fine.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds