How difficult is Linux CNC to wrap your head around for a beginner?

More
07 Aug 2019 11:07 #141610 by pl7i92
lot of people here are less then 6month in and are SemiPRO Mod's

you will not believe how quick you will get into and benefit all your thinking on Linux
most here wont go back to MS as they feel the world can be different and open source without frearing Hacks
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, SPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2019 22:01 #141635 by SPH
7i84’s are out of stock. On hold for a couple of weeks.

More
08 Aug 2019 08:41 #141659 by SPH
Here’s another basic question, what pendant options are there for Linuxcnc/Mesa setups?

More
08 Aug 2019 09:24 - 08 Aug 2019 09:25 #141662 by rodw

Here’s another basic question, what pendant options are there for Linuxcnc/Mesa setups?

Well I think that the 433 Mhz wireless pendant I use on my plasma table is by far the best solution out there. See page 15 of my build thread forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32029...uild?start=140#93124

It has a relay/receiver box which wires in as if its a hard wired pendant. It wasn't cheap at around AUD $500 (maybe more the way the Aussie Peso is trading) but for a machine your size you don't want to risk control to a USB pendant ( I didn't).

You can contact me here and I'll share some details www.vehiclemods.net.au/contact-us
I was possibly going to order another one soon, so maybe we can get two....
Last edit: 08 Aug 2019 09:25 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SPH

More
08 Aug 2019 10:07 #141663 by SPH
I'm curious why China thinks that pendant is worth 2-3 times more than the equivalent USB pendant.

More
08 Aug 2019 11:40 #141665 by rodw

I'm curious why China thinks that pendant is worth 2-3 times more than the equivalent USB pendant.

Becasue its industrial quality

More
08 Aug 2019 12:00 #141667 by tommylight

Becasue its industrial quality

I have to agree with Rod as he is using it on a plasma machine and plasmas are interference monsters.

More
08 Aug 2019 12:29 #141672 by rodw
I think the main difference is that this one is hardwired in so nothing can go wrong and therefore there is no software drivers to fail. Maybe Linux does a better job of USB but I have never trusted USB..... On this pendant, the MPG is wired in direct to the Mesa MPG inputs. The batteries last a few months. (2 x AA)

More
09 Aug 2019 08:28 #141722 by SPH
Fair enough. I’ll be wanting a pendant for sure on a machine this big and reliability is paramount. Cost isn’t really that important in the scheme of things.

I’m going to setup a pc tonight. Should I use the newest version of linuxcnc?

More
09 Aug 2019 09:53 #141732 by rodw
V 2.8 added better homing and squaring on gantry machines. I think you need that.
V 2.9 added the reverse run branch that allows easier backing up for error recovery. I don't think that is needed for a router.
So I think V2.8 is probably the way to go for you as it will become the release version before too long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SPH

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds