Need help with Proma file install

More
28 Aug 2019 04:34 #143394 by TexasCNC
Hello needed help with me setting up the Proma thc on my existing linuxcnc config. I am running 2.7.14 and I have new to this and I barely got the hang of it I never used linuxcnc before I was more grbl I m not a computer expert just know the easy in and outs of getting through the computer. I just ordered the THC and should be in a couple days and was trying to get my linuxcnc ready for it. I have already built the touch and go with the micro switch on its a small 4 inch linear guide mounted on my Z axis. Where do I hook up the switch to on my board so far I am seeing some schematics online on wiring the proma. I am currently running machine with post and processor of sheetcam with mach 3 no Z and I manually set the Z and I have been cutting things but I have to sit there with stick and push the material down that way it cuts. I have been reading a topic here on the forum and what they are saying doesnt make sense sorry I am new with this program trying to figure out what the ini and hal files are I see that when i use the step config wizard it creates these? Was trying to see a how to video on configuring the proma but no luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2019 06:47 #143399 by tommylight

More
28 Aug 2019 21:35 #143490 by TexasCNC
But can you walk me how to install the files I am new to linuxcnc I barely got through the config wizard and got cutting and all. Want to know how do I add the thc controls on the access page. I went to the files that I downloaded from Proma website and I right clicked on the ini file and opened it with linuxcnc but I can do anything thru jog or even turn on the controls. Can I add that file to my existing configuration that way I don’t have to edit any files to match xyz settings?

More
28 Aug 2019 21:36 #143491 by TexasCNC
But can you walk me how to install the files I am new to linuxcnc I barely got through the config wizard and got cutting and all. Want to know how do I add the thc controls on the access page. I went to the files that I downloaded from Proma website and I right clicked on the ini file and opened it with linuxcnc but I can’t do anything to jog or even turn on the controls. Can I add that file to my existing configuration that way I don’t have to edit any files to match xyz settings?

More
28 Aug 2019 22:14 #143494 by tommylight
Use the PlasmaC from the second link, it has a configurator that will do that for you.
With the original proma config, there is a readme file that you have to read and make apropriate changes to the hal and ini file.
On the new configs from the first link there are explanations in the files for what to edit and what not.
What Proma THC do you have? That is for the 150 version, the SD does not need any editing if you already have a working config, the THC itself has to be programmed.

More
28 Aug 2019 22:40 #143495 by TexasCNC
I have the 150 model. Ok but I download files then so what from there do I need to delete my linuxcnc and start new? Do I copy and paste the downloaded files to my computer? I can just look at my existing file of the ini and Hal to set my speeds and pitch I have on my working one right to edit the new files?

More
28 Aug 2019 23:07 #143501 by rodw
If you upgrade to V 2.8 or V 2.9 of LInuxcnc then Plasmac is already deployed. You take your working config and run its configurator and you are in business! Full instructions are in the PLasmac manual that can be found from the main documents for those versions. JUst follow your nose to the docs from the main Linuxcc site

More
29 Aug 2019 02:17 #143518 by TexasCNC
Well it sounds easy but for me can you or do you have a how to do that is there a file I need to download and load on to my computer? My cnc computer is not hooked up to internet.

More
29 Aug 2019 05:56 #143531 by TexasCNC
I just need a step by step on getting this working with the new proma I just got if I Cant figure this out as its becoming frustrating cause us new people are trying to save money since linuxcnc is free and open source it works perfect that understand linuxcnc and creating VCP and all. I might just have to money up and buy mach 3 and go that route it seems easier to get the proma there working. I am just trying to find a step by step in getting this files to work. If we already have a working axis with no THC and want to add the functions to the current axis config what is needed? Do i download the files and paste them to the my existing axis directory or do I have to start all over with the downloaded files and edit all the files to what I have. you all mentioned dong the plasmac right but i go to the wiki of it and its saying I have to go terminal and enter commands to upload a update but my computer that is running linuxcnc is not connected to internet so is it getting plasmac? Do i need to download a file for it? Sorry guys just not finding the info needed or the exact info I am looking for to make this simple to do lol! I am very new to linux cnc.

More
29 Aug 2019 09:15 #143540 by tommylight
Give use the info on what version of linux/Linuxcnc you are using. There are downloadable files for the new wersions of linuxcnc but a bit dificult to find , i'll try later.
Also in the downloaded files you have everything explained in detail for the toma_thc config.
And do not edit the files on a windows computer, they will not work properly on Linux.
You do not need to compile/download/git/extract anything, you just need to read a bit.
You can have the toma_thc config working in about 10 minutes of editing. Ther are readme and howto included with those configs, download, unzip, it does not matter what directory but no spaces in directory name, edit the ini and 2 hal files, save them, right click on the ini file, select open with, use other program and type linuxcnc, press ok.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds