SOS-Config ruined after dist-up. Back to previous version old LinuxCNC dist?

More
23 Sep 2019 15:12 #145972 by tommylight
As Andy mentioned that might be, in order of failure :
Hdd
Memory
Hdd controller
Memory controller
North Bridge ( controls the memory )
South bridge ( controls the HHD )
Overheating of the last two can cause such issues.
Another point of failure is the power supply, also causes all kind of weird issues on PC's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2019 15:22 #145973 by andypugh
I think that parallel port failure is a very likely possibility.

Normally I would suggest switching to a mesa 7i76E about this time, but I think it would be hard to configure that to suit the odd clocked-stepper system that is used on your robot.

More
23 Sep 2019 15:28 #145975 by andypugh

Joint 0 and joint 2 work as they supposed to.The problem with joint 1 and the wrist(joint 3 and 4).

Is it possible that the failed joints are all controlled by the same parallel port, and the working ones by the other parallel port?

(It would have to be outputs only, as the home switches presumably still work, and they are shared between the ports)

More
26 Sep 2019 09:14 #146239 by m.bofi

Is it possible that the failed joints are all controlled by the same parallel port, and the working ones by the other parallel port?

Its kind of mixed so no unfortunatelly

Normally I would suggest switching to a mesa 7i76E about this time, but I think it would be hard to configure that to suit the odd clocked-stepper system that is used on your robot.

Exactly as you said. I thought of this possibility to bring the system up to date but it was very painful trying to configure it

I mainly suspect HDD related problem since i had a minor issue when first installing LinuxCNC on this PC. So our most likely course of action is to buy a new PC and reconfigure, probably by next semester.
One other thing id like to report is that i couldnt make a pci parallel port to work by any means. Its an approx PCI-1P2S port

More
29 Sep 2019 15:00 #146585 by andypugh
This system is very sensitive to timing.
Can you attach an oscilloscope and verify that the strobe signal to the drive is timed correctly with the step / direction pulses and the axis select?

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds