Mesa 7I92 and 7i96 not on supported mesa cards list. Voyage of discovery?

More
10 Oct 2019 06:31 #147613 by Louis Cypher
Dear Forum,

I am about to buy a Mesa 7i92 or 7i96 the next days. Searching the documentation on linuxcnc.org I didn't find any of those cars on the list of supported cards. I know that others are running these cars but what does that mean to me in terms of setup and configuration?

Best,

Markus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2019 08:04 #147617 by Clive S

Dear Forum,

I am about to buy a Mesa 7i92 or 7i96 the next days. Searching the documentation on linuxcnc.org I didn't find any of those cars on the list of supported cards. I know that others are running these cars but what does that mean to me in terms of setup and configuration?

Best,

Markus

Have you seen this forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3504...6-configuration-tool

More
10 Oct 2019 09:33 #147624 by tommylight
They are both fully functional with Linuxcnc, and there are plenty of us using them daily.
And they do have the best support on planet earth, bar none, provided by PCW.

More
10 Oct 2019 10:05 #147628 by Louis Cypher
Thanks for the great link. I haven't seen it. Obviously the forum is faster than the documentation :)

You helped me a lot guys! Thanks!

More
10 Oct 2019 12:46 #147634 by pl7i92
what mashine is it as you are on 2 cards to decide
the 7i92 needs some dauter card no matter what DB25
and the 7i96 is ready to use for a standard mashine setup

More
10 Oct 2019 12:54 #147636 by Louis Cypher
It is a 3 axis machine (gantry type). It has been running on a Chinese 5 axis BOB until the PC died (still unsure why).

Currently it denies working on a new BOB (same model) due to maybe cabling errors and not enough voltage for all 4 drivers at others because the parallel port or the too high USB power consumption causes the PC to boot only when all cables are disconnected (or randomly? Didn't dive into that). So basically I am fead up with the LPT driven stuff. I lost months fiddling around with stuff that stops working after a couple of ours.

P.S.: I can catch myself thinking of going back to GRBL and arduino uno ;-)

More
10 Oct 2019 14:09 #147640 by tommylight
If the PC is not booting while the parallel port cable is attached, the bob is causing some trouble and you might end up with another dead PC.

More
10 Oct 2019 14:37 #147642 by PCW
I have seen something like this issue (no PC reset) when you accidentally
backfeed the PCs 5V or 12V supplies with external power.

More
10 Oct 2019 17:53 #147645 by Louis Cypher
That is exactly what I am fearing. But currently it is powered by the USB, 12V is not yet connected. The 5 V supply is as well not connected. When I received the PC LPT was deactivated in the BIOS and it does only boot successfully if the LPT is set to automatic (even if no cable is connected). Hence, the PC might have an issue with the LPT as well.Not much luck with this LPT stuff!

That is why am going for a MESA. Ordered a 7i96 today.I hope that makes things much easier.

More
11 Oct 2019 17:42 #147716 by Louis Cypher
@tommylight: you have been right. Yesterday the second PC died. Both PCs cannot mount the hardrive anymore and are basically plain dead. They only can run a live CD anymore. No idea what caused the damage since they died on a different electronics box, so one faulty BoB can not be the reason

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds