Cut Rifling Machine Help

More
21 Aug 2021 12:00 #218321 by SPC89
Replied by SPC89 on topic Cut Rifling Machine Help
"The video seems to indicate that the tool is engaged with a separate mechanism that tweaks the screw to add feed"

Correct, we call it the "raiser" but it engages the screw on the Rifling head after a set of grooves been cut and simply turns it a tiny bit to move the cutter up. 

The only problem i can see with having something attached to the cutters raiser screw, permanently following it along the barrel, is that you need to constantly check what depth the rifling groove is with special bore gauges.  You need ease of access to the ends of the barrel for this. On our design you can move the raiser mechanism out the way on a pivot.

So hopefully, you hit pause, the machine moves the cutter to the other end of the barrel out the way, pivot the raiser mechanism out the way, measure what groove depth your at, lower the raiser back down and then hit resume button to carry on until desired depth of cut is achieved.  

photo below shows our mechanism. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2021 22:01 #218829 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Cut Rifling Machine Help

The only problem i can see with having something attached to the cutters raiser screw, permanently following it along the barrel, is that you need to constantly check what depth the rifling groove is with special bore gauges. 

I was imagining putting the raising mechanism on the same end as the indexing mechanism, so that the end of the barrel is completely unobstucted when the tool is retracted. 

More
02 Dec 2021 08:47 #228176 by Cutter07
Replied by Cutter07 on topic Cut Rifling Machine Help
Hi SPC89, 

Just following up on how you are progressing. I started a similar project about 2 years ago, in-between working two jobs.  I only have a 1/3 prototype machine in test currently.  It would be good to catchup off line to discuss progress / issue etc if you are interested.  

More
10 Feb 2022 20:04 #234524 by hoffb77
Replied by hoffb77 on topic Cut Rifling Machine Help
I am curious about your project development. I am planning to build a machine to turn feed screws with an accelerating pitch. I came across this and now I am intrigued.

I wish you well.

More
10 Feb 2022 20:31 #234526 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Cut Rifling Machine Help

I am planning to build a machine to turn feed screws with an accelerating pitch.

You might find this interesting: 
youtube.com/watch?v=ACvRilmIKDQ
Though it seems that the linked write-up has bitrotted. 
There is something here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?JMKsFusee

More
10 Feb 2022 23:49 #234537 by hoffb77
Replied by hoffb77 on topic Cut Rifling Machine Help
I need a taper on the infeed side as well. Many different sizes... This is great! Thank you for the link.

Time to create page: 0.650 seconds