carousel.comp - jog-FWD still an issue

More
17 Jul 2022 18:40 #247578 by spumco
(I figured I'd start a new thread so it doesn't get totally buried in the ATC build thread)

This one's for Andy...

If you recall in the other thread, I don't think the jog-FWD was resolved in carousel.comp counts mode.

carousel last testing

I've pulled the latest carousel.comp from github
I'm triggering carousel from M-codes, not directly from halshow (M64 Pn / M65 Pn)
I've tried changing the width from 2 up to 500
Changed align-dc and fwd/rev-dc speeds up and down
I've reversed my stepper direction - problem is still there, only in the other direction (still FWD)

Every permutation results in jog-FWD moving to the next pocket and then backing up to the original (starting) pocket.

jog-REV - carousel reaches the destination pin sensor, goes past it, and does the slow search in reverse to the destination pin (desired)

jog-FWD - carousel reaches the destination pin sensor, and immediately reverses & slow searches back to the origin pin (not desired)

Any chance you can take another look at the jog-FWD programming?

thx,
R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2022 09:04 #247920 by andypugh
I wish there was a way to tag a message for attention.
I will try to remember to get back to this.

More
21 Jul 2022 11:37 #247933 by spumco
Thanks.  And no rush, of course.

A temporary workaround is to simply turn off the slow-search function and strictly use counts without the pin feedback.

More
24 Jul 2022 02:39 - 24 Jul 2022 03:59 #248150 by spumco
Andy,

While you're thinking about carousel... I'm trying to do some .ngc logic, and I'd like to read the status of carousel prameter carousel.0.homed.

Just discovered I can't connect a parameter to a signal in hal... Was hoping to link it to motion.digital-in-n so I could poll it with an M66.

Is there a way to read the homed status in an .ngc file? Or can you create a new carousel.0.is-homed bit out pin?

For the moment I can write a persistent numbered parameter after homing, and clear it with a shutdown.hal, but that seems a roundabout way.

Thx,
R

EDIT I can't even figure out how to call a macro at system shutdown - shutdown.hal won't do it.  Kinda stumped.

EDIT 2 - Ok, RTFM.  RS274NGC_STARTUP_CODE + an M-code to set a "homed" parameter to 0 at startup.

Still would be nice to have a carousel homed pin.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2022 03:59 by spumco. Reason: Read the (*&#!@)(* manual.

More
25 Jul 2022 10:12 #248235 by andypugh
You could read the parameter in a custom M-code, but that's a bit silly.

Just edit carousel.comp to make homed a pin not a parameter and recompile it.

(I will make the same change in the source tree, but that will take some time to filter through

More
25 Jul 2022 15:37 #248262 by spumco
Just edit carousel.comp to make homed a pin not a parameter and recompile it.

I'm reading the HAL component generator manual page, but 'make a homed pin not a parameter' is a bit Greek to me at this stage.

My startup M-code workaround seems to be accomplishing what I need right now, but I don't think it's going to work in some e-stop or other odd events as it relies on a clean shutdown and restart of LCNC to reset the numbered parameter I'm using to store 'homed' state.

More
26 Jul 2022 09:01 #248306 by andypugh

I'm reading the HAL component generator manual page, but '[i]make a homed pin not a parameter' is a bit Greek to me at this stage.[/i]

Currently line 137 is
param rw bit homed = 0 "Shows that homing is complete. Only used in index and edge modes";

Edit that to be
pin out bit homed = 0 "Shows that homing is complete. Only used in index and edge modes";
and it will be a pin, and able t be added to a net. 

But: With the current r/w parameter it is possible to setp the param to zero to unhome the carousel. That won't work any more with an out pin. 
(You _could_ create the pin as io, but that would be a bit unusual, the only bidirectional io pins in common use in LinuxCNC are the index-enable, and it is debatable whether that was a good design decision. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
26 Jul 2022 13:23 #248322 by spumco
But: With the current r/w parameter it is possible to setp the param to zero to unhome the carousel. That won't work any more with an out pin. 

Hmm...thoughts:
  • Unhoming carousel during testing is extremely useful
  • Unhoming carousel during an estop would also be useful
    • In my case I can envision a mid-program, mid-toolchange estop event.  It would be nice to recover without shutting down LCNC and restarting. i.e. untangle ATC, rehome axes, rehome carousel, back in business.
  • Reading state of 'is-homed' is also useful
    • Using 'is-homed' to pass state to ngc files as a go/no-go state for toolchange operations.
    • I know carousel.comp knows its own state, but in my case I want to pass that state to other things like spindle orientation and GUI components (ATC screen widget)

More
26 Jul 2022 23:35 #248380 by andypugh
This version has homed as a pin, and a new "unhome" pin to, well, you can probably guess what it does.

It also might have better jogging behaviour.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
27 Jul 2022 00:47 #248382 by spumco
Thanks again Andy.

PDB cylinder suffered an o-ring failure last night it'll take me a couple days to source a new one - mill head top end is disassembled ATM.

I'll see if I can carefully test the new carousel without having to move the head or other stuff.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds