carousel.comp - jog-FWD still an issue

More
27 Jul 2022 03:11 #248385 by spumco
The unhome and homed pins are there, and the unhome pin works to clear both the homed pin and homed parameter.

I noticed something else...Maybe it was doing this before, too, but I thought it continued to the destination pocket after homing was completed at first enable.

Jogging:
fwd/rev-dc = 50/-50
align-dc = 10
decel-time = 0.8

jog-REV
Works as expected
State = 0 - 20 - 5 - 8 - 0

jog-FWD
Same issue as before: moves to next pocket sensor, stops, and backs up to original pocket sensor at slow search speed
State = 0 - 20 - 5 - 6 - 0

But... changing the decel-time to a really low value (0.05) got it working... except now the max speed is seriously reduced.

With these settings:
fwd/rev-dc = 150/-150
align-dc = 10
width = 10
decel-time = 0.8

It stops as expected at every pocket, both using pocket commands (M68/M64, both directions) and jog-rev.  At this speed it's pretty brisk, but not crazy fast.

But jog-fwd then results in the continuous rotation - same as from a few revisions/tuning back.  Even dropping it down to 75/-75 and decel-time to 0.01 it does the continuous rotation thing.

I can obviously turn the speed way down and get it working reliably, but I figured you might want to know because jog-fwd does not seem to behave the same way as jog-rev or normal pocket commands.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2022 11:42 #248408 by spumco
Something just occurred to me...

I remember seeing that the jog-rev pin go significantly farther past the pocket sensor flag than during a normal pocket to pocket move before slow searching to final position.

I haven't read that far in to the comp code, but does this mean that jogging does not use the counts/scale function, and just turns on the motor at fwd/rev-dc speed until it senses the pin?

I wonder if that has something to do with the difference between jog-rev and jog-fwd.  Because jog-fwd never moves past the pin.  Regardless of decel-time settings, it always stops at the pin and the backs up or stays put depending on decel-time value.

More
27 Jul 2022 12:04 #248412 by andypugh
It looks like the component is tying to back off to the "alignment pin" when it has actually undershot it.

In most cases it is hard to work out which side of the "pin" you are on, but in counter mode it is actually easy. My problem is trying to come up with a scheme that is robust for all supported encodings.

I have an idea, but I am not sure if I will have time to try it tonight.

More
27 Jul 2022 18:39 #248442 by spumco
I'm at your disposal whenever you get to it.

-R

More
28 Jul 2022 04:00 #248503 by spumco
Had a thought.  Maybe it'll help, maybe muddy the waters, maybe you've already done this and I'm too dense to pick up on it..

I think the slow search should be from the same direction every time, and not 'mirror' the motion depending on direction.

Example:
  • Homing
    • CW to index sense
    • CCW off index
    • CW slow search to index
  • Subsequent moves (pocket command or jog)
    • CW
      • CW counts
      • CCW off pocket sense
      • CW slow search to pocket
    • CCW
      • CCW counts
      • CCW past pocket sense
      • CW slow search to pocket
That sequence would eliminate any sensor field width affecting the actual pocket orientation.

Again, sorry if that's already your plan and I'm not seeing it.

More
20 Oct 2022 14:27 #254600 by andypugh
There was an actual bug in the code (accidental fall-through to case 5) It might be worth looking to see if the fix has helped your setup.

More
21 Oct 2022 01:18 #254641 by spumco
Andy,

I removed the individual pocket flags from my carousel and reverted to counts mode with no search function.  It's faster indexing this way, and I'm not worried about lost steps since the stepper drive is set to alarm at 20 counts (~+/- 0.01" arc length at the fork radius).

Disassembling the forks and installing the flags again would take a bit of time.  If you've no other way of testing the bug fix, let me know and I'll reinstall the flags for testing.

You've certainly spent more time on this than the hour or two it'll take me to plod through 18 pockets.

-Ralph
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Oct 2022 11:49 #254661 by andypugh
No, that's fine. I will leave it now and see if anyone else tries to use the slow search, and see how it works for them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
21 Oct 2022 12:58 #254676 by tommylight
What do i use for sensors on each tool.
No index or home, two more pins, one for round tools with even numbers and the other for cutting tools with odd numbers.
And tool clamped pin.
Not time to find out, but i might give it a try on the Mazak Micro Slant 15 since i have the tool changer already working, and spindle.
B.T.W. is it recomended to stop the spindle when changing tools on a lathe?
Never seen it stop. So how do i stop that.
Thank you, and sorry for hijacking the topic.

More
21 Oct 2022 13:42 #254684 by andypugh

What do i use for sensors on each tool.
No index or home,

How does the system know that it is at tool 1?

two more pins,
one for round tools with even numbers and the other for cutting tools with odd numbers.
And tool clamped pin.

That's just weird...

B.T.W. is it recomended to stop the spindle when changing tools on a lathe?
Never seen it stop. So how do i stop that.

Usually not.
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/config/ini....html#_emcio_section
TOOL_CHANGE_WITH_SPINDLE_ON = 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds