Widescreen-Touch User Interface Proposal by BrendaEM

More
16 Sep 2018 21:49 - 16 Sep 2018 22:08 #117619 by BrendaEM
As some people know, with the help and guidance of many people here on the forum, I have been working on a user interface proposal for LinuxCNC. Thank you all for your help.

I will get the graphic source files ready this week.

Seeing that I am in a dire financial state, if anyone wants to tip me, here is my Patreon link:
www.patreon.com/brendaem

Tool donations also considered : )
Last edit: 16 Sep 2018 22:08 by BrendaEM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S, Joco, JohnnyCNC, snoozer77, Immutef, RNZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2018 22:25 #117633 by tommylight
Consider me impressed with the presentation !
Very nice, great job, thank you very much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grijalvap, BrendaEM

More
01 Oct 2018 03:32 #118265 by persei8
I think we are all duly impressed. I know I am. I wish I had a working version of this UI but the fact is, right now it's just a bunch of pictures. If I knew how to code this, I would volunteer to spend a few months working on it while I wait out the winter in Arizona. If you manage to get a development team together, perhaps I could contribute in some small way but in the meantime, don't get discouraged.

More
01 Oct 2018 06:54 #118271 by cmorley
In fact there was some work done along Brenda's vision.
There is a qt5vcp_py2 branch that has the start of a 'Blender' version.
It evolved bit away from the exact vision of Brenda's - which isn't surprising - I'm interested in building tools to make screens not so much actually build screens.

My development of qtvcp tends to go in waves so is somewhat slow right now.
I am also trying to see what decisions are made by the release manager about timeline of 2.8 before moving forward with merging the branch.
But If anyone is truly interested in working on Brenda's vision (or any other screen vision) I encourage you to try the branch out.

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: auto-mation-assist

More
01 Oct 2018 20:11 #118316 by tommylight
Me neither !
@BrendaEM
Your design is absolutely astonishing and i absolutely respect the amount of time that went into designing every single detail of it, so thank you very much.
I could tell some stories about ............ a lot of things, but the main thing is, so far it is just a design, non functional, useless, gorgeous looking design, until you release those pictures to the masses, then it will slowly move from non functional to functional and it's appreciation will rise exponentially.

I wrote a lot here and deleted it.

Personally all i got from this so far is some uncontrollable drooling all over the screen and keyboard looking at the design, so it is time to start bringing it to life.
Thank you very much, i do appreciate the time and effort you have put into this.

More
04 Oct 2018 02:56 - 04 Oct 2018 02:59 #118426 by BrendaEM
Well, I am trying to get programming help from other websites.

A lot of people here have been very helpful in getting the design to this point.

Though, I worry that anyone joining my effort will meet as much resistance as I did.
As I stated elsewhere, LinuxCNC has some cleaning to do. I believe that some people want LinuxCNC just to fail.
I am not stating that my vision, is the right vision forward, which is why I had help from so many of you.

I have to keep reminding myself most people here were not against me wanting to contribute LinuxCNC, but it's hard because of the way I was also treated.

Thank you again for your help.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2018 02:59 by BrendaEM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RNZ

More
04 Oct 2018 05:16 - 04 Oct 2018 05:19 #118428 by auto-mation-assist
Brenda you have done a great job on designing the front panels. I'm very impressed with your work.

I'm not one hundred percent sure how you were planning on getting some code put behind the panels to make a fully functional gui, but at times great gui front panel designer needs knowledgeable programmers to make things come to life. Unfortunately those programmers may not have the time required to do the work and perhaps may not even see the need to develop a new gui.

LinuxCnc has a good number of functional gui's built in, but functional does not mean that they are a pleasure to use. Thus new gui's are always being developed for that reason. Your proposal, if it can be completed to be a functional gui will reduce the need for custom gui development work in the future. This will allow more time for actually using our machines for machining work.

If possible I would like to have access to your files to look at potentially helping in getting some code behind the panels. I have never seen a way to download the files.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2018 05:19 by auto-mation-assist. Reason: Punctuation error

More
04 Oct 2018 19:28 #118446 by Russian_federation
Good work my lady !

Think about providing a paypall adres over here.
Some member don't want to be a patriot and want to donate at once.

More
05 Oct 2018 09:57 #118463 by andypugh

Though, I worry that anyone joining my effort will meet as much resistance as I did.

Have you met resistance? I haven't seen any, but perhaps I have not seen all the discussions on all forums.

More
19 Oct 2018 05:06 #119054 by emilvv
Hi Brenda,
I am sure if you publish your work files there will be HUGE interest and work from many people to make it real working project.
Also, LinuxCNC will became a more 'modern' regarding user interface !!
So, PLEASE publish ( upload ) your work and files to linuxcnc files and don't listen 'bad' people ....
There still nice and professional people on the LCNC community !! They will continue your work on programming level.
Thank you for your work !!

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds