Glade 3.20.will not work with LinuxCNC , please follow this for 3.8.6

More
24 Sep 2017 11:14 #99374 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Glade 3.18.3?
I am working with Jessie and glade 3.8.5 build from sources with 64 bit and all is working fine.

So IMHO it is related to your distro.

Norbert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2017 21:07 - 24 Sep 2017 21:51 #99387 by scubawarm
Replied by scubawarm on topic Glade 3.18.3?

I am working with Jessie and glade 3.8.5 build from sources with 64 bit and all is working fine.

So IMHO it is related to your distro.

Norbert

Well I tried 4.9.4 which is stated to be "tested" same issues.

I would much prefer to use Mint over Debian so I'm not chasing drivers all the time. Especially touchscreens.
what kernel are you running?
uname -r

EDIT: That is right why I also really hate Debian. uname, ifconfig etc... commands don't exist.... UGGH
Last edit: 24 Sep 2017 21:51 by scubawarm.

More
29 Sep 2017 11:59 - 01 Oct 2017 11:20 #99607 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Glade 3.8.5
As there seem to be some problems on installing glade 3.8.6 on Mint 64 bit, I tried and had success. So here is a little HowTO, based on a installed:
MINT 18.2 'Sonja'
Cinnamon 64-bit

with Kernel:
4.10.0-28-generic

to get your kernel version, open a terminal and type:
uname -r

Check if there is a glade version installed from the package manager, if so, you need to uninstall that release!
You may use synaptic for that purpose.
If you do not know how to do that, do not go on with this How To, as you will not be able to finish this with success!

Make sure you have all the latest updates installed. open a terminal and enter :
(just leave the terminal window opened, as you will need that one very often)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

First we need to install some dependencies, just enter in the terminal:
sudo apt-get install intltool python-gtk2-dev libxml2-dev gtk-doc-tools gnome-doc-utils liblablgtk2-gnome-ocaml-dev libglade2-dev libgladeui-common python-gtkglext1 itstool

get the source of glade 3.8.6 (Do not use any newer glade release, as they so not support gtk2 any more!)
in the terminal enter:
wget ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glade3/3.8/glade3-3.8.6.tar.xz
tar -xpf glade3-3.8.6.tar.xz
now install it by typing:
cd glade3-3.8.6
./configure
make
sudo make install

to test the glade install, enter in the terminal:
glade-3

Try to add a main window and in that window any widget you like,
if it does work, then go on

Till now we do not have any hal widgets, so we need to install linuxcnc!
So now fetch the source of LinuxCNC:

in the terminal enter:
cd
sudo apt-get install git git-gui
git clone https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev

as dpkg-checkbuilds needs assess to the source packages and as default the corresponding repositories are not enabled,
open synaptic from main menu, goto settings, packages and enable source code, check the corresponding box
close it and change to the terminal, enter
sudo apt-get update
cd /linuxcnc-dev/debian
./configure uspace

you should get:
successfully configured for 'uspace-LinuxMint-18.2'-'uspace+xenomai'..

go on in the terminal
cd ..
dpkg-checkbuilddeps

should give something like:
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Fehler: Nicht erfüllte Bauabhängigkeiten: build-essential:native debhelper (>= 6) libudev-dev libxenomai-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev libreadline-gplv2-dev asciidoc (>= 8.5) dblatex (>= 0.2.12) dvipng graphviz groff inkscape source-highlight texlive-extra-utils texlive-font-utils texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-spanish texlive-latex-recommended w3c-linkchecker python-tk libxmu-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev | libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev libboost-python-dev libmodbus-dev (>= 3.0) libusb-1.0-0-dev

so install that dependencies (check what dependencies your system really does need)
sudo apt-get install build-essential debhelper libudev-dev libxenomai-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev libreadline-gplv2-dev asciidoc dblatex  dvipng graphviz groff inkscape source-highlight texlive-font-utils texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-spanish w3c-linkchecker python-tk libxmu-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libboost-python-dev libmodbus-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev

Check again, if all dependencies are satisfied:
in the terminal enter:
dpkg-checkbuilddeps

should give no output!

as in my case ./configure gave some errors of additional missing packages,
I needed to do:
sudo apt-get install bwidget libtk-img tclx

now in the terminal enter:
cd src
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-simulator
make

gave me some warnings, but no error
go on in the same terminal:
sudo make setuid
cd ..
. ./scripts/rip-environment
linuxcnc  ~/linuxcnc-dev/configs/sim/gmoccapy/gmoccapy.ini

if that is also OK, we need to copy the hal widget glade catalog to the correct place.
backup the originals first
in the terminal enter:
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/glade3/backup/catalogs
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/glade3/backup/pixmaps
sudo cp /usr/local/share/glade3/catalogs/* /usr/local/share/glade3/backup/catalogs
sudo cp -r /usr/local/share/glade3/pixmaps/* /usr/local/share/glade3/backup/pixmaps

now copy/add the missing files to that dir with the following terminal commands
sudo cp ~/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp/*.xml /usr/local/share/glade3/catalogs
sudo cp ~/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp/*.png /usr/local/share/glade3/pixmaps
Now test in the terminal you did the command
. ./scripts/rip-environment, just enter
glade-3

Voila!
You should have a working glade_3.8.6

I would appreciate, if someone could add this tutorial to the official documentation or at least to the glade section.

Regards Norbert
Last edit: 01 Oct 2017 11:20 by newbynobi. Reason: Updated to fetch release 3.8.6 and corrected the install procedure of glade3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Weiler810T, Nico2017, scubawarm

More
29 Sep 2017 12:23 - 29 Sep 2017 12:25 #99609 by scubawarm
Replied by scubawarm on topic Glade 3.8.5
Thanks Norbert will try it.

You do have the order of things differently. And did not try 3.8.5

BUT please test this. Issue was not widgets. It was this.
Open glade-3
Add a main window
Add an About window (or any other window I tried)
Instant crash

Yours doesn't?
Last edit: 29 Sep 2017 12:25 by scubawarm.

More
29 Sep 2017 22:46 #99646 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Glade 3.8.5
Hallo,

I tested as rip environment with GladeVCP widgets, and also with normal glade without the hal stuff.
In both cases I do not have any crash. I can also open i.e. gmoccapy.glade and add stuff.

As said, I am using 3.8.5 and haven't tried jet 3.8.6

Norbert

More
30 Sep 2017 12:06 #99673 by scubawarm
Replied by scubawarm on topic Glade 3.8.5

Hallo,

I tested as rip environment with GladeVCP widgets, and also with normal glade without the hal stuff.
In both cases I do not have any crash. I can also open i.e. gmoccapy.glade and add stuff
Norbert

Please pardon my continued questions... Just trying to fully understand. To me a RIP is meant more to test something rather then install it. Is there a reason you are doing rip with the HAL and regular without? Or just stating what you tried?

More
30 Sep 2017 12:16 #99674 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Glade 3.18.3?
I use RIP for everything. If I'm compiling from source, there is no need to create a deb to install it when it might change next week.

More
30 Sep 2017 12:37 #99679 by scubawarm
Replied by scubawarm on topic Glade 3.18.3?

I use RIP for everything. If I'm compiling from source, there is no need to create a deb to install it when it might change next week.

So when you guys say RIP... You are simply saying installation without using a DEB? Acronyms... So many Acronyms

More
30 Sep 2017 15:11 #99684 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Glade 3.18.3?
RIP means Run In Place

Basically it means run LinuxCNC without installing it in the normal locations
but rather running it from where ever it was built

This has the advantage the you can easily run multiple versions of LinuxCNC on the same host
and test versions without disturbing a working system.

The minor disadvantage of RIP installs is that you must run the RIP script that sets up the paths
and environment variables before launching LinuxCNC. I'm pretty sure the GUI launcher does this
however

More
30 Sep 2017 17:55 #99692 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Glade 3.18.3?
Hallo subawarm,

i do it with a rip installed LinuxCNC, because on this machine I have not installed a realtime kernel. I am not sure, but starting glade-3 without doing the rip-environment step, IMHO will not allow to load the hal widgets. That's the only reason I do it this way. My machine is running with Jessie and realtime kernel and on that machine I have it is working in both ways, but I compiled on that machine LinuxCNC with relatime Preempt kernel.

Norbert

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds