Glade 3.20.will not work with LinuxCNC , please follow this for 3.8.6

More
30 Sep 2017 17:59 - 30 Sep 2017 23:02 #99695 by scubawarm
Thanks a million Norbert!

I was starting from scratch and following your directions exactly, and at the same time wanted to check out my existing install that I had issues with. Simply added your dependency list for Glade-3 and BAM... I was missing something (even though it had compiled without errors). Installed that, got the 3.8.6 source again, recompiled, and adding anything now works! And this is on a RT Kernel as well.

So others, follow the Instructions on installing a runtime kernel in the Install forum. I was successful with 4.8.11-rt7 on Mint 18.2 xfce.
Then follow Norbert's guide for Glade and LinuxCNC. And yes I did use Glade 3.8.6 as it is simply listed as a minor bug fix, so thought might as well.

For more Linux rookies... For the compliers you may need to use
sudo make install
as Mint is not a fan of switching to su.

THANKS AGAIN!

EDIT: Just to be clear, this machine I actually followed the Install guide all the way though to Installing LinuxCNC if you want a RT Kernel and a non RIP LinuxCNC do that and just do Norbert's first part which is what I ultimately ended up doing. But, Norbert had the correct items needed and made all the difference in the world.

Following Norbert's guide to the letter for my laptop used to just edit code and don't want RT. Learned so much in this tread... :)
Last edit: 30 Sep 2017 23:02 by scubawarm. Reason: Clarify installed regular vs RIP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2017 20:17 #99699 by rodw
Glad you got it sorted.

Just one thing though. I found using sudo make did not build the system correctly and I had a lot of permissions issues until I redid it just using make. I remember it was a very frustrating time until I worked it out.

More
30 Sep 2017 22:27 - 30 Sep 2017 22:32 #99702 by newbynobi
Please do never use sudo make!!!!

It can be necessary to use sudo make install!
I may have forgotten the sudo at the step of installing glade3, i will update the HowTo to wget 3.8.6 and check about forgotten sudos!

About the dependencies:
I am sure you only missed python-gtkglext1, that one is not needed to run glade-3, but without it you will not be able to edit any glade file containing hal_gremlin, that is the reason i added this dependencies!

Norbert
Last edit: 30 Sep 2017 22:32 by newbynobi.

More
30 Sep 2017 22:48 #99703 by newbynobi
@pcw

I'm pretty sure the GUI launcher does this
however

No, if you have a rip version and a installed version, just typing linuxcnc will bring up 2.7 and if you do first the . ./scripts/rip-environment, linuxcnc command will bring up 2.8!

I made short bash scripts and added launchers to the desktop, so i can start rip configs just clicking on the desktop icon.

Norbert

More
30 Sep 2017 22:57 - 30 Sep 2017 22:58 #99704 by PCW
I just tried this and it does work, that is, the GUI launcher is smart enough to launch the correct
RIP LinuxCNC version _IF_ you start the launcher in the correct RIP environment
(and create the desktop ICON from the launcher started in the desired environment)
Last edit: 30 Sep 2017 22:58 by PCW.

More
30 Sep 2017 23:35 #99706 by rodw
I run the rip-environment script from the mint startup applications so it always works if called from the IDE via a shortcut but I still need to run the script to run from the command line
Also a couple of desktop shortcuts are handy

LinuxCNC Chooser : runs the standard chooser window: /home/plasma/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/linuxcnc
LinuxCNC Last: runs the last config that you've run: /home/plasma/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/linuxcnc -l

More
01 Oct 2017 11:28 - 01 Oct 2017 11:28 #99729 by newbynobi
@all,

I just updated the HowTO to fetch glade3-3.8.6 and corrected the errors of the install commands of glade3.
(sudo or not sudo was the question ;-)

@PCW,
You are right, if you start the config picker from a rip-environment shell, it does it correct, I just thought you was thinking about starting it from a not rip-environment.

@all
here a short script to run a config from rip environment:
#!/bin/bash

cd /home/gmoccapy/linuxcnc-dev
. ./scripts/rip-environment
linuxcnc /home/gmoccapy/linuxcnc-dev/configs/Testconfig_7i76e.ini

And the desktop icon would be something like (Chinamon):
[Desktop Entry]
Comment=start mill
Terminal=true
Name=startmill
Exec=/home/gmoccapy/bin/startmill
Type=Application
Icon=/home/gmoccapy/Bilder/Logo.png

Norbert
Last edit: 01 Oct 2017 11:28 by newbynobi.

More
06 Oct 2017 19:22 - 06 Oct 2017 19:51 #100027 by PKM
Hello Norbert

I tried installing glade 3 and everything went pretty much successful.
But I have this error running glade-3
pkm@debian:~/dev$ glade-3

(glade-3:1394): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to open catalog directory '': Помилка відкривання каталогу "": Немає такого файла або каталогу

(glade-3:1394): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to open catalog directory '': Помилка відкривання каталогу "": Немає такого файла або каталогу

(glade-3:1394): GladeUI-WARNING **: Boolean tag unrecognized *false*

(glade-3:1394): GladeUI-CRITICAL **: Unable to load module 'gtksourceview-2.0' from any search paths

(glade-3:1394): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load external library 'gtksourceview-2.0'
GladeUI-Message: No displayable values for property GtkSourceView::draw-spaces
GladeUI-Message: Glade needs artwork; a default icon will be used for the following classes:
	HAL_HBox	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_hbox'
	HAL_CheckButton	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_checkbutton'
	HAL_HScale	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_hscale'
	OffsetPage	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-offsetpage'
	EMC_FileChooserButton	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-vcp_filechooserbutton'
	HAL_ComboBox	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_combobox'
	HAL_Table	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_table'
	HAL_Graph	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_graph'

... etc etc.

UPD: I have Stretch with 4.9.0-3-rt-amd64
rip-environment is set
Last edit: 06 Oct 2017 19:51 by PKM.

More
09 Oct 2017 08:09 #100113 by newbynobi
Glade throws a lot off warnings as errors, so do you have the hal widgets? Is it possible to creare a glade pannel?

If so, all is ok.

Norbert

More
10 Oct 2017 23:34 #100181 by andypugh
If it says "Warning" you can ignore it. Only worry about "Error"

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds