gladevcp catalog, and other questions

More
11 Aug 2023 17:54 #277652 by blazini36

Thank you for your prompt response.
It looks like I was in error thinking that
<!-- interface-requires gladevcp 0.0 -->
<!-- interface-naming-policy project-wide -->
was a comment. Removing these two lines allowed the hal.ui to load into the glade IDE. It then displays a box but doesn't show the button and LED.

In either case that's not the point. If the Glade IDE requires a 'catalog' then what I'm asking is how to tell the Glade IDE where the 'catalog' is for linux CNC and what it consists of.

I can pull over any folders I need from the Raspberry Pi4 that can run LinuxCNC. And BTW, it throws up the same error when I run Glade on it.

So my question remains the same. The Glade IDE screen designer requires a path to a folder or set of folders in order to be able to load the icons and appropriate HAL connections.

So where are they for the 'simple' example hal.ui. If it can't figure out how to show the items described in the hal.ui then it certainly can't do the AXIS screen.

You're not listening, there is no path for you to set. The gladevcp widgets need the Linuxcnc environment to load. Once the LinuxCNC environment is loaded glade can open a file and show gladevcp widgets.

You can't pull folders over to your windows PC from your Pi, it won't work. If you have a dev version of linuxcnc 2.8 or less installed on the pi then the pi itself will have glade-gtk2 installed and IT can open that file

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2023 19:26 #277660 by jcdammeyer
Thank you for your response but I found it rather insulting.

Rather than call me stupid with "You're not listening," I'd rather you just:
1. Acknowledge you have no idea how to link to a catalog.
2. Have no idea how to create catalog
3. Have no idea where to find that information or even what a catalog is since you didn't post any links.

I'd like to be able to do more than follow steps blindly typing in commands with no information as to why this command or that parameter.

Your answer was typical of the reasons I get from others as to why they aren't interested in Linux or LinuxCNC to accomplish what they want. People get tired of the implication that they are dumb.

More
11 Aug 2023 19:53 #277663 by blazini36

3. Have no idea where to find that information or even what a catalog is since you didn't post any links.

I'd like to be able to do more than follow steps blindly typing in commands with no information as to why this command or that parameter.

Your answer was typical of the reasons I get from others as to why they aren't interested in Linux or LinuxCNC to accomplish what they want. People get tired of the implication that they are dumb.

Lol I think I recall your user name from the MK group.....you were a troll there too.

Nobody called you stupid, you are trying to use a catalog that is ancient to do something you didn't bother to describe. I told you exactly what you need to do but you are insisting that all you have to do is "link a catalog"....OK have fun with that.

I didn't give you any commands to "blindly type", I told you the gladeVCP widgets require the LinuxCNC ENVIRONMENT to be available as the widget actions are woven through it. I didn't write GladeVCP, but I've used it enough to be able to tell you exactly what I told you. The problem is you don't like the answer because it's not convenient to you......well I'm sorry for that, stick to Mach.

More
11 Aug 2023 20:24 #277667 by rodw

Nobody said anybody was dumb. That was your perception.
In case you have not noticed, Windows and Linux are two totally different operating systems so their programs are  not interchangable.
Some Linuxcnc users might find it insulting  that you even want to try to work with the application on a Windows box.
If you must work with your Pi from Windows, install xrdp on your Pi and log into it using rdp from the windows box.
Or grab another SSD and dual boot your PC into windows or Linux using the boot menu
The following user(s) said Thank You: blazini36

More
11 Aug 2023 21:01 #277671 by jcdammeyer
The stand alone program "Glade" creates XML format files that are generally saved with a .ui or .glade suffix.  As such they can let a user create a frame, add panels, buttons, and other graphical objects, set the sizes and links to what to do when that button is clicked or the text is entered into a field or the spin buttun up/down is clicked.   This Glade program is available for Windows and Linux and likely also Macs.

That's not any different from say Lazarus (Free Pascal) which has the philosophy write once, compile anywhere to create applications with panels, buttons, and other graphical objects.  Or Embarcadero Delphi which has the added feature of being able to also target Mac, Tablets, Iphones, Windows etc. 
The 'form' they create isn't an XML file but still contains similar information. 

If you have experience in writing applications with these tools then you will understand what I mean.  For example, I have run this application on Windows, A beagleBone running Linux and also MachineKit, my PC running LinuxCNC for the mill and a Raspberrry Pi without any changes in the source code.  The Pascal is translated from the C command line program provided by Jon Elson.

All I was originally asking for was the ability to edit an existing glade file with the ultimate goal of resizing some of the buttons with embedded .png files so that the entire PSNG screen specified for 1024x768 would fit on a 1200x800 LCD touch screen.  When Glase failed to open the psng.glade file on the Raspberry Pi running LinuxCNC (as I've just been rudely told to do but had already tried) I decided to take a step backwards and create something simple from the Glade Demo files like the provided helloWorld demo.  And since Glade was available for Windows I thought I'd start there.

Attachments:

More
11 Aug 2023 21:53 #277676 by jcdammeyer
Justin,
'Troll' here again.
Makes no difference whether LinuxCNC is running or not.  So why does this message show up?

Why is the catalog unavailable.  It's now Linux.   Running LinuxCNC.  Running Glade trying to load psng.glade which BTW, is shown on the LinuxCNC axis panel.
Attachments:

More
11 Aug 2023 23:50 #277686 by blazini36

Justin,
'Troll' here again.
Makes no difference whether LinuxCNC is running or not.  So why does this message show up?

Why is the catalog unavailable.  It's now Linux.   Running LinuxCNC.  Running Glade trying to load psng.glade which BTW, is shown on the LinuxCNC axis panel.

When I said "you're not listening" that doesn't mean you're "stupid", it means "you are not listening"

You just tried to open a file created with glade-gtk2 inside of a version of glade that uses GTK3 or GTK4.....ya know how I know? Because of that wierd little icon to the left of the save button.

I took 10 minutes to install a Debian buster ISO inside of a virtualbox VM just to show you how this works, I expect a thanks.

On your Raspberry Pi with LinuxCNC installed run "sudo apt install glade-gtk2" Not "glade" that is the recent package, I told you what you are trying to do is ancient and you need legacy glade.

Anyway on my fresh Debian Buster/ LinuxCNC VM install I ran "sudo apt install glade-gtk2".  Then I ran "glade-3" to open it. You should probably understand that glade "version 3" does not mean it is for GTK3. Glade version 3.8.6 and below is for GTK2 and that is what you want to use. What you are trying to use in your screenshot is a version higher than 3.8.6.....ya know how I know?......

I can add 10 more LEDs if I really want to......

See the "HAL Python" widgets in the lower left? If you don't see those you aren't opening that file.
Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2023 20:35 #277752 by COFHAL
GLADE 3.20 in PI4   
Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2023 21:22 #277757 by jcdammeyer
Andy Pugh provided the correct answer!  forum.linuxcnc.org/48-gladevcp/40971-how...-get-gladevcp#196434
To get the older version of Glade for the Pi LinuxCNC one must install Glade-3 after doing a
sudo apt-get update and although I don't know if it made difference before the update I also did a
sudo apt-get dist-update.
After that, as the screen shows.
sudo apt-get glade-3 --fix-missing.
Without the --fix-missing it won't install.

And now I can run the helloworld example and see the hal LEDs etc.
But there's still an issue as this next screen shot shows.

The buttons are there and the path to the icons are correct inside the structure describing the button.  The Glade-3 IDE does a pretty crappy job of representing the glade file.   Even the newer Glade version that Justin said wouldn't work does a better job of at least showing the icons even if it can't find the gladevcp.
At this point the pi4 is going to be put back into the cardboard storage box along with the new 1200x800 touch screen. 
Thanks everyone,
John

Attachments:

More
13 Aug 2023 00:18 #277774 by blazini36

At this point the pi4 is going to be put back into the cardboard storage box along with the new 1200x800 touch screen. 
Thanks everyone,

Thank god
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds