First Configuration try-Dead Machine

More
24 Feb 2012 17:56 #18032 by ohioflyer
Hello to everyone here,

Let me start by saying that I am brand new to CNC, I'm trying to wrap my head around the way everything works, but the learning curve is steep. Let me also say that I have already searched the forum for a solution to my problem and I am not seeing it. It may be because I don't know enough to recognize it, so please forgive my level of ignorance, I am trying.

Ok, I have just completed a Joe's 2006 R2 three axis machine. I purchased a Keling three axis kit for it, consisting of a 9Amp PS, 3 425 in-oz steppers, 3 4030 drivers and a C10 bob.

The steppers are wired in bipolar Parallel, and the drivers are set to 1/4 step, at 3 Amps.

I have limit switches wired in series and wired in terminal 13 as per plans.

I have the E-stop wired to terminal 10 as per plans.

No home switches yet

I have the master enable switch wired to the EN terminal as per plas.

The steppers are all wired to terminal 2-7 as per plans.

My C10, and all three drivers give me solid red LED's, and the PS a solid Green.

I have not changed any jumpers from their factory settings on the C10, Pins 2-9 are set to output, Pull Down, Com=Grnd, ouptputs= pull down

I just installed EMC2 v2.4.3

I ran the Stepconf wizard , and when I try to test the axis I get no movement at all, on any of them, completely dead. I rechecked all of my wiring and it checks out, no crossed wires. When I ran the latency test it showed the max interval for base thread to be 29500, but the stepconf says the minimum is 30000, so I entered that.

Initially I configured the pins:

1-unused
2-x step
3-x dir
4-y step
5- y dir
6- z step
7- z- dir
8- unused
9- unused
10- e stop in
11- unused
12- unused
13- all limits
14- unused
15- unused
16- unused
17-unused

When this did not work I decided to try something simpler and disbled pins 10, and 13, so I just had the axis connected, again completely dead. I tried checking the "invert" box for pins 2-7, as the drivers show negative voltage on those pins, nothing. Several posts have talked about the enable terminal with the C10 board, I tried the above configs with the master enable switch both on and off, dead.

I even checked my motherboard bios to make sure the parallel port was not turned off or anything, and its listed at 378 on IRQ7.

I'm sure there is something very basic that I am not grasping here, I believe my setup is about as simple as it gets. If anyone could help I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you,
Edward

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2012 18:11 #18034 by cncbasher
i believe the c10 has an enable pin , connect this to amplifier enable in step config , their should also be an enable pin on the c10 , so you could disable that
there are posts across the forum , also mentioning this , so maybe worth a poke around

More
24 Feb 2012 18:44 #18035 by ohioflyer
I don't understand, the EN is a terminal on the C10, Not a pin. I thought the labeled terminals corespond to parallel port pins, how would I connect something that is not a "pin" to a pin in stepconf?
Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2012 18:45 #18036 by ohioflyer
Sorry, don't know how to post more that one pic at a time
Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2012 18:52 - 24 Feb 2012 18:54 #18037 by cncbasher
connect a wire between EN and 5 vdc
should solve your problem ( no switch required )

later on if you wish to control the enable signal , then connect EN to a spare pin on your parallell port
and configure that pin as amplifier enable ( or x enable etc )

i would suggest connecting a wire first , until you have everything else working correctly
Last edit: 24 Feb 2012 18:54 by cncbasher.

More
24 Feb 2012 19:00 #18038 by ohioflyer
In the pictue the pin that I am showing is the EN pin, supplied w/5v. The pin between the what I am testing is the main incoming 5v, it is jumpered to the EN pin which is directly above it. The lowest one is the com for the incoming power

More
24 Feb 2012 19:11 #18039 by ohioflyer
Ok what i'm thinking is that pins 2-9 are set for com=grd. Maybe I should set the pin to com=5v. As the PS supplies power to ron the steppers on the drive side, the bob supplies 5v signal to tell the drivers what to do, so with the bob set to com=grnd, the drivers are recieving not signal? the com pins on the bob go to terminals on the drivers marked +5vdc. This means those pins must recieve 5v yes? It certainly would not be outputing a signal to the BOB? If my thinking is wrong will I turn this thing into a smoke generator? I really do not want to do that,

More
24 Feb 2012 19:14 #18040 by cncbasher
at the moment you do not need home or limit switches connected
but you will need the Estop switch connected which is a closed loop

it could also be that the EN connection should be left open circuit ,
i would leave all other settings at default in step config until you have movement

do you get any warning messages on the screen in axis ?

your step input should go to pulse - on your stepper drive
and the step direction to dir - on the stepper drive
and connecting the + of each opto to 5v
but dont forget the ground of your bob to the - of the 5v supply

More
24 Feb 2012 19:24 #18041 by cncbasher

More
24 Feb 2012 19:29 #18042 by cncbasher
5v for running the steppers is far too low a voltage , you need at least 24v to the seperate power pins on the stepper drivers , although 12v will do for testing , but certianly not for running the machine
the 5v to the opto's should come from the bob .

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds