How to. 2 or more motors on one axis. Gantry

More
17 Mar 2023 08:29 #266894 by masawee
how setting dual YY if not have owerprice expensive mesa shit card ? normal user use cheap chinese paraller port breakout board not expensive mesa trash, normal hobby user not have budget buy super expensive mesa.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2023 14:48 #266915 by PCW
A couple suggestions:

1. Add a LinuxCNC issue about stepconfs lack of gantry support:

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues

Hint: insulting LinuxCNC developers that work for free is probably not a good strategy.

2. Read the beginning of this thread that includes instructions for modifying the hal and ini files
stepconf creates to support gantry configurations:

forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...cnc-2-8-master#96594

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

More
17 Mar 2023 15:48 - 17 Mar 2023 15:55 #266917 by Todd Zuercher
It isn't really all that hard to set up a dual joint driven axis using parallel port controlled stepper motors. You don't have to have Mesa hardware. But why all of the vitriol about Mesa card pricing? They really are a bargain for what they are. For example when was the last time you tried to purchase a dual parallel port PCIe adapter card? A new one, if you can even find one that works correctly with Linux (about half of the ones for sale on the internet don't) costs almost as much as a Mesa 6i25 (at least here in the States.) The $20 dollars more for the Mesa card is a small pittance to pay for its added capability.

Also as Peter pointed out read the beginning of the thread.  I'm pretty sure instructions for this are also in the documentation.

I'm not sure about in version 2.8, but in version 2.9 the Stepconfig wizard does have support for creating a tandem motor driven gantry axis.  You set it up as a usual 3 axis machine in the 2nd window (choose XYZ) for the Axis Configuration.  Then on the Parallel Port 1 (or 2...) configuration window assign 6 parallel port output pins for the step motors so that you have X, Y and Z, Step and Direction, plus set up two more output pins for Tandem Y Step and Tandem Y Direction.  You will also need to configure two input pins for the Home-Y and Tandem-Home-Y. (or some of the other appropriate combined home/limit options).  Then complete the Stepconfig setup.

It is possible this support also exists in 2.8. (I don't currently have 2.8 installed somewhere to easily check.)
Last edit: 17 Mar 2023 15:55 by Todd Zuercher. Reason: Change where I typed output where it should have been input.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S, uur.ersan

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds