How to make a tool changer move to home

More
09 Nov 2020 21:06 #188807 by bevins
How is he doing his toolchange now? He said it was working.... I dont understand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2020 22:38 - 10 Nov 2020 09:08 #188820 by Clive S

How is he doing his toolchange now? He said it was working.... I dont understand.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The tool changer is on a small Boxford 125 it has been discussed in this post forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...ved?start=100#188519

Basically we have had to modify the comp (well Aciear did) that was done in the Linuxcnc 2.4-2.6 that would not work with the latest versions of linuxcnc.

The tool changer will now rotate to the correct tool and reverse to lock as commanded with a M6T# now I am trying to get it to move in X and then Z to a safe position to rotate. This is where the TOOL_CHANGE_QUILL_UP = 1 came in, but that will move Z first then X which is wrong for a lathe.

I hope this clears it up a bit.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2020 09:08 by Clive S.

More
09 Nov 2020 22:45 #188821 by Clive S

Clive!
So remap of M6 is going to be the next adventure.

David you have caught me out in my travels. :)

There was no home switches on the Boxford so I am fitting them on X and Z they are coming on Wednesday. I have already done the work and wiring as I had PNP ones but needed NPN.

I will read and try and digest your other post in the morning.

Thanks again for the interest.

More
20 Nov 2020 17:16 #189900 by Clive S

Clive!
So remap of M6 is going to be the next adventure.

David you have caught me out in my travels. :)

There was no home switches on the Boxford so I am fitting them on X and Z they are coming on Wednesday. I have already done the work and wiring as I had PNP ones but needed NPN.

I will read and try and digest your other post in the morning.

Thanks again for the interest.

Ok the first set of sensors never showed up but the second lot did :)

Now the little lathe homes with X first then Z from with the shared input pin 13 on the P/port all working fine. X and Z are furriest from the chuck when homed.

Now is this what you are suggesting for me to try:-

Seems to me you would need to add this to your INI

REMAP=M6 modalgroup=6 ngc=mychange

Then create a file in your remap folder called mychange.ngc and put this inside:

o<mychange> sub
G53 G0 X0
M66E0L0
G0 Z0
M6 (use built in M6 behavior)
o<mychange> endsub
m2

Something of a crude first idea (I'm tired). But the point is that you might not need to remap the whole toolchange procedure since your tool changer is already working. All you need is to do the moves before it and it looks like there is a nice shortcut for you by being able to call M6 from within its own remap.
By the way: I suggested "M66E0L0" between the moves so the two motions don't get blended.

If so I will try in the morning.

More
21 Nov 2020 15:02 - 21 Nov 2020 17:00 #189976 by Clive S

Seems to me you would need to add this to your INI

REMAP=M6 modalgroup=6 ngc=mychange

Then create a file in your remap folder called mychange.ngc and put this inside:

o<mychange> sub
G53 G0 X0
M66E0L0
G0 Z0
o<mychange> endsub
m2

Z & X farthest from chuck
First home machine screenshot

Then MDI m6t2 (You have to inform the gui what tool is in the slot so it knows the tool pocket number)
X went up +ve (ignored soft limit) and Z went towards chuck so aborted
Aborted Screen shot

Restarted lcnc
Re-homed then moved x and z nearer the chuck and touched off
touch off screenshot

Then MDI m6t2 X went up and hit the switch
Screenshot

Sorry I could not find a way to rotate. Well I did rotate but it still made it upside down

So getting there slowly Thanks for the previous help

Edit: just so we are on the same hymn sheet.

X
MIN_LIMIT = -100
MAX_LIMIT = 1
HOME = -1.0
HOME_OFFSET = 0.0
HOME_OFFSET = 0.0
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -15
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 1.500000
HOME_SEQUENCE = 0

Z
MIN_LIMIT = -100
MAX_LIMIT = 1
HOME = -2
HOME_OFFSET = 0.0
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -15
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 1.500000
HOME_SEQUENCE = 1
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Nov 2020 17:00 by Clive S. Reason: tried to rotate pic.

More
21 Nov 2020 15:41 - 21 Nov 2020 15:50 #189978 by Aciera
Ok first mistake I made is this: The second move needs the g53 again, then you might want to save and restore the modal state using M73 and let's make sure we are in absolute mode (G90) when we do this :

o<mychange> sub
M73
G90
G53 G0 X0
M66 E0 L0
G53 G0 Z0
o<mychange> endsub

[edit]
The other thing is that you need to make sure it can go to machine zero without activating either the soft limit (needs to be just under 0. I have it at -0.1) or the electrical home switch. I in doubt use G53 G0 X1 and G53 G0 Z1 or -1 whichever is on the good side of your limits.

[2.edit]
You can try the moves in MDI first and once that works build them into your M6 remap
Last edit: 21 Nov 2020 15:50 by Aciera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
21 Nov 2020 15:59 #189984 by Clive S
Just made an edit in the above post for the relevant bits of the ini file.

More
21 Nov 2020 16:02 #189986 by Aciera
So the soft limits should not interfere. How is it working for you using G53 G0 Z0?

More
21 Nov 2020 16:32 - 21 Nov 2020 17:02 #189992 by Clive S

So the soft limits should not interfere. How is it working for you using G53 G0 Z0?

edit: Using G53 G0 Z0 it triggers the switch

Ok using G53 G0 Z-1 and G53 G0 X-1 does not hit the switches :) :)

I have not tried your new code yet as I have run out of time but I can see the light. Thanks. I will try it in the morning
Last edit: 21 Nov 2020 17:02 by Clive S.

More
22 Nov 2020 12:17 #190038 by Clive S

edit: Using G53 G0 Z0 it triggers the switch

Ok using G53 G0 Z-1 and G53 G0 X-1 does not hit the switches :) :)

I have not tried your new code yet as I have run out of time but I can see the light. Thanks. I will try it in the morning

Ok Seems to work as expected. I think I would like the toolchanger ngc to go in the boxford config folder instead of the ngc folder How would I write the path in the ini file.? It is like this now REMAP=M6 modalgroup=6 ngc=toolchange

I stuck a M3 and M4 tin the code to make sure the spindle was working correct.

The next bit now is to get the spindle speed display working correct with the near component . I have just forced it with setp to true
Also do I really need the B encoder signal if it is not going to be used for ridged tapping. The spindle has to be able to do an M3 and M4 depending what tool is being used.

But I would like to free up an input pin so as to make the homing safer. As I have noticed if the Z sensor is triggered before homing then the X will start moving down first. This is a problem with sharing home switches on one input. I know it might never happen BUT!! Mr. Murphy might call.

Thanks for your continued help. I have learnt a lot from you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds