trying to install linuxcnc 2.6

More
15 Mar 2015 13:56 #56830 by johnl2
Just tried installing linuxcnc 2.6 today. Well, today went into this morning at 3am. "waiting for /dev to be fully populated" and init table command not found: 0xA9. All day and all night and all morning. I tried every combination of usb drive, sd card, cdrom, dvdrom, different types of writers, nothing. It just doesn't work. Anybody know what the problem is?

Thanks,,
JOhn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2015 18:37 #56837 by BigJohnT
Did you follow the instructions here ?

JT

More
15 Mar 2015 19:39 #56842 by johnl2
To the letter.

More
15 Mar 2015 19:55 #56843 by BigJohnT
The live CD has always worked for me. I've never seen any mention of using a SD card. Perhaps you skipped a step? The expanded instructions are here .

JT

More
15 Mar 2015 20:33 #56846 by johnl2
A cd will not work, I tried, but there's not enough room for the image. I am trying to boot from this image and let it take the whole drive, fresh start, if that helps. I think i read through what you sent me, but I'll check. Let's see, I'm putting it on an asus sabertooth board, all high end equipment if that matters, it's been running lucid lynx all this time, no problem booting that from the disc sherline provided me. I also tried the last version, 2.5, installed it onto a disc and works great. Just this one, it's not ubuntu, I think that's one of the problems. But I'm DYING to get this going! Please, ask me whatever you need and I will give u the info, I just really want to get this to work!

Thanks Big John,

Little John

More
15 Mar 2015 20:48 #56847 by ArcEye

A cd will not work, I tried, but there's not enough room for the image.

It is a DVD iso, just over 1GB so will not fit on a CD

Like JT I have never had any problems installing from it, do you get the error when booting the image or from the resulting installation?

regards

More
15 Mar 2015 21:06 #56848 by johnl2
It gives me an option to install it graphically or via command line. I have tried both to no avail. When I let it do it's thing on the command line, it only goes so far and hits that error I originally posted. When I do it graphically, it installs and then it happens on reboot.

John

More
15 Mar 2015 21:09 #56849 by johnl2
i have been using win32diskimager like the instructions say. The last hybrid iso I downloaded, (downloaded multiples since I thought maybe that was the problem), the hash sum did not match! It was totally different! Obviously I did not try to install that one. Just trying to give you's all the info I can think of.

More
15 Mar 2015 21:13 #56850 by johnl2
I've narrowed it down, and it is not my method of installation. I tried DVD, which you can use any form of writing, and all of the other ways I've tried, and I end up with the same error every time. It's something to do with my computer I think. If the drive that it is to be installed on is not formatted, could that affect it in this way? I noticed that it said during install that the drive is not formatted and it could effect the installation.

John

More
15 Mar 2015 21:17 #56851 by ArcEye
Yes it can affect the installer.

One of the Ubuntu Live CDs would not even recognise a HDD was present if it was un partitioned and unformatted and it is based on debian

You can download a gparted Live CD gparted.org/livecd.php

I would burn that and boot it, then you can create partitions on the disc and then should be able to install the debian based install to one of them

regards

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds