trying to install linuxcnc 2.6

More
15 Mar 2015 21:19 #56852 by ArcEye
PS

If this is a modern computer, just make sure that UEFI boot / secure boot etc is disabled in BIOS before you start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2015 21:36 #56853 by johnl2
Thank you, I think we probably solved it. One more thing though, I am wondering why I cannot connect to the internet through the ubuntu installation. It tells me that no connections are available. I would love to have an internet connection.

Thanks,

John

More
15 Mar 2015 21:38 #56854 by johnl2
It says that gparted is for x86 machines. I have x64

More
15 Mar 2015 21:40 #56855 by johnl2
Yea, I have UEFI turned on, okay, we probably figured it out. I'm going to try again in a little bit with this new knowledge and see what happens. Will let you know.

Thanks to all for your help and quick responses.

John

More
15 Mar 2015 23:00 #56860 by johnl2
I made sure it was off, at least I think I did, I went into the UEFI and changed the boot to legacy. Still nothing. This is getting extremely frustrating. I also tried the graphical again and made sure I did not get the warning, I partitioned the disk correctly. I have no idea what else to try so I'm just going to go back to what I was using. It's older, but at least it works.

Thanks,

John

More
15 Mar 2015 23:30 #56861 by ArcEye

It says that gparted is for x86 machines. I have x64

It just means that it is not for Apple or Android or Sun.

Just about every PC type computer made now has a 64 bit processor, x86 is a generic term relating to the origins, nothing to do with processor registers.

Unless you partition and format the disk, nothing looks like it is going to happen

More
15 Mar 2015 23:46 #56862 by johnl2
During the graphical install I partitioned it, that wasn't good enough? I'm a little bit nervous of using gparted as I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't even know how to install it. Do I download it on windows? Then what do I do? I'm not good on the terminal. I'm totally lost. Right now I have 2.3 installed again. What should I do from this point?

Thanks,

John

More
15 Mar 2015 23:50 #56863 by johnl2
Ok, I'm sorry, I just read the instructions, I dl it from my windows computer and install it, all instructions are there. But I am a bit nervous to try this again, what if it doesn't work? I tried so many different things only to come out at the same error. It will not get past that one line. What does it mean? I feel like it's just not going to work especially after all of this. But I'm willing to try if there's a decent chance of it pulling through. Could it be that 2.6 is not fully developed and therefore has too many bugs and problems working on certain systems?

John

More
15 Mar 2015 23:50 #56864 by ArcEye
I assumed from your comment that you had not used gparted, because you thought it was for the wrong machine.

If you have installed something else, boot the DVD and see if it offers to install on that partition you have already installed on, it should, it must be able to see it.

More
15 Mar 2015 23:56 #56865 by ArcEye

Could it be that 2.6 is not fully developed and therefore has too many bugs and problems working on certain systems?

You are not installing Linuxcnc 2.6

You are installing Debian Wheezy with the software Linuxcnc 2.6 pre-installed

Wheezy installs fine on lots of computers, I have it on everything from Pentium P4s to an 8 core Intel-i7

But I am a bit nervous to try this again, what if it doesn't work?

It hasn't worked at all yet, so what have you got to lose, not as if you have another system on the disk you don't want to risk messing up

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds