trying to install linuxcnc 2.6

More
20 Mar 2015 06:56 #57028 by johnl2
Is anybody running Meshcam on Debian Wheezy? I have been trying ALL day to get it working under wine and it just will not open. I keep getting the error message: There is no Windows program configured to open this type of file.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2015 08:06 #57053 by johnl2
Andy, I reverted back to ubuntu with linuxcnc2.5 to see if I could get meshcam to work on it. Well I got it to work under wine, but guess what? No USB! If I do lsusb in the terminal, it lists all devices, but they do not work. My mouse and keyboard don't work and the usb drive does not work. Any idea why, or how to fix it?

Thanks,

John

More
21 Mar 2015 09:11 #57057 by andypugh
Sorry, no ideas. But you don't have to run LinuxCNC to run under Ubuntu, you can actually update right up to at least 2.7 on Ubuntu 10.04.

MeshCAM is pretty good, but CamBam isn't that far behind and runs natively in Linux:
www.cambam.info/ref/ref.linux

More
21 Mar 2015 11:15 #57060 by johnl2
That looks pretty good. Is it free too?

I wish I could just use ubuntu, but my usb does not work on it, only in debian.

Can the OS itself cause latency issues, like ubuntu vs debian?

John

More
22 Mar 2015 00:19 - 22 Mar 2015 00:21 #57072 by pws
Replied by pws on topic trying to install linuxcnc 2.6
Just my 2 cents! I updated an older system with an "newer - over spec'd" ASUS MB with an AMD A105800K. I installed the latest LinuxCNC/Debian and my latency went through the roof! I then went back to a copy of what was running on the system before the MB update (Ubuntu 10.04) updated to the latest LinuxCNC version (2.6.x) and latency went back down - lower than I expected!

I have no trouble at all with USB with the new MB. Recently added a XHC HB04 (USB) and it works great.

I suggest you dig deeper on the USB issue - it should work. Check your BIOS settings for USB, etc.

That looks pretty good. Is it free too?

I wish I could just use ubuntu, but my usb does not work on it, only in debian.

Can the OS itself cause latency issues, like ubuntu vs debian?

John

Last edit: 22 Mar 2015 00:21 by pws.

More
22 Mar 2015 06:01 #57078 by johnl2
Thanks for your post. I worked on it all day today and tried reinstalling 10.04 via usb. It did not work, I kept getting an error saying it could not find a working file system. I messed with some settings in bios, did it thousands of times before but this time I changed some other things. Well, usb worked all of a sudden and everything is fine. So I'm not going to use Debian since I cannot use meshcam on it. Everything is fine now with ubuntu and I'm just going to keep it this way.

Thanks,

John

More
21 Oct 2015 15:17 #64033 by eFalegname
I'm agree with pws and John. I'm also ready to do the downgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 which offers IMHO better performance and lower latency results than Debian.
:unsure: Is there someone who can confirm this hypothesis from a real theoretical point of view?

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds