trying to install linuxcnc 2.6

More
17 Mar 2015 04:45 #56905 by johnl2
Yes, I know that my computer is too high spec, but it's the only desktop I have. I am thinking about getting one specifically for cnc but there's so many to choose from. And I want to be sure I get the one with the lowest latency possible. But right now, my latency is at 8029 which I think is quite low. And that's letting it run and abusing it for about 3 hours. What would you recommend for a good mobo? I have a pci parallel port for it so the mobo can be newer. What would you say?

Thanks,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2015 14:17 #56914 by ArcEye

But right now, my latency is at 8029 which I think is quite low. And that's letting it run and abusing it for about 3 hours

If you are getting that kind of figure just use it, you won't get any better with another board.

I am confused as to which computer this is with, but just use it and on to the next challenge (problem)

regards

More
17 Mar 2015 22:05 - 17 Mar 2015 22:14 #56945 by johnl2
I can't use it b/c it will not accept the new 2.6 linuxcnc. It acccepts 2.5 which is what I have on there now, but I want the new one! It's nice. I have it on my old old mobo with ide connectors! The computer I'm talking about is an asus x79 mobo with MSI Twin Frozr III graphics card. I decided to purchase the board that you told me about, J1900. I checked out some reviews, lots of bad reviews for linux and usb not working, guess I'll just have to see. I bought that, the ram and a case WITH power supply for $175 all together with shipping. Not bad if u ask me. So I'm gonna sell my other machine. I don't game on computers, never did, just felt like building a computer and here it is! So what do you think?

Thanks,

John
Last edit: 17 Mar 2015 22:14 by johnl2.

More
17 Mar 2015 22:19 #56946 by ArcEye

I can't use it b/c it will not accept the new 2.6 os. It acccepts 2.5 which is what I have on there now, but I want the new one!

Just so long as you realise that you can have Linuxcnc 2.6 on your old computer, you just upgrade it, Linuxcnc is software not a distro.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.6

It is Debian Wheezy you cannot have it seems

I decided to purchase the board that you told me about, J1900. I checked out some reviews, lots of bad reviews for linux and usb not working, guess I'll just have to see. I bought that, the ram and a case WITH power supply for $175 all together with shipping. Not bad if u ask me. So I'm gonna sell my other machine. I don't game on computers, never did, just felt like building a computer and here it is! So what do you think?

There were problems with some of the early boards, esp Gigabyte, where the BIOS only recognised Win8 and USB did not work. These were resolved by BIOS updates I think

Ask PCW specifically which board he recommends.

He has tested a lot of them and will be able to give you a currently available make and model which he knows works

regards

More
18 Mar 2015 06:11 #56966 by johnl2
Who is PCW? I already purchased the one you recommended. It should be here in a couple of days. As far as upgrading, so you're saying that I can upgrade just linuxcnc 2.6 only on ubuntu? But it has to be Ubuntu 10.6 or something, right? Not 12.xx? If I can do that, I guess that would be ok, but I love that debian interface, it's really nice and clean looking.

So I would love to update, but since I have started this whole cnc hobby, I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME get online! No matter what usb wifi adapter I use, or even directly wired to the router, linux will NOT connect to the internet for me. I have gone so far as to have it tell me I'm connected, but the internet still does not work! I have tried ubuntu forums, but I'm told they cannot help me b/c my distro is too outdated! So I'm at a loss as to how to connect to the internet for updates.

Thanks,

John

More
18 Mar 2015 14:29 #56976 by ArcEye

Who is PCW? I already purchased the one you recommended.

The guy who replied to you with a list of boards.
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...nc-26?start=20#56877

USB dongles are notoriously fickle and only really ever made for windows.
Some will work but others never seem to.

A wired connection should always work unless you have an odd network chip.

The ubiquitous rtl818x chips work with Wheezy, even before you update the firmware, but there was one chipset recently that was not even detected by the kernel and never worked. ( can't remember the make OTTOMH )

From a booted Linux distro on the relevant computer, open a terminal and run
dmesg > dmesg.txt
and then attach the file dmesg.txt that is created in that directory (probably your home dir)

regards

More
18 Mar 2015 15:51 - 18 Mar 2015 15:52 #56979 by ArcEye
ArcEye wrote:

A wired connection should always work unless you have an odd network chip.

The ubiquitous rtl818x chips work with Wheezy, even before you update the firmware, but there was one chipset recently that was not even detected by the kernel and never worked. ( can't remember the make OTTOMH )

The most recent two were these, there have been others.
The second one required ethernet to be enabled in BIOS, but the first was never resolved properly, it is just a flakey chip

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...5?limitstart=0#53876

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...n-gx620?limitstart=0
Last edit: 18 Mar 2015 15:52 by ArcEye.

More
19 Mar 2015 01:06 #56989 by johnl2
Thank you for your responses. My mobo/ram came today and I'm waiting for the box to show up any minute. So I'll be up and running today hopefully and I've learned a lot from you guys and appreciate your time and effort in helping.

So the usb dongles are flaky? I had a hard time finding one compatible with linux. Any suggestions on what I should use for wifi? I tried the one they use for raspberry pi and that seemed to work ok, but not for debian! It worked with ubuntu 12.xx and some other flavors like mint, but now I cannot get it to work with linuxcnc distros like I need it to! Anyway, I'm very excited to get my new computer up and running and do a latency test. I will report back with the results. I have a feeling I'm not going to be too pleased. But why should I be using a $2500.00 machine for a controller? That's insane. If any of you know anybody who wants it, please let me know. I'm tired of getting ripped off by ebay. They take 10% of all my prophits. I hope that wasn't illegal what I just did. Trying to sell something. If it is, I'll edit it out.

Thanks,

John

More
19 Mar 2015 03:27 #56990 by Todd Zuercher
I personally aoid wifi if at all possible. Besides what's the point if it isn't a mobile device.

But if you must, an ethernet to wifi adapter will almost always work. such as
www.iogear.com/product/GWU627/

Usb stuff is often hit or miss, but generally the older the hardware the better the chance it'll work.

More
19 Mar 2015 04:58 #56993 by johnl2
23954 is my jitter now. I knew I wouldn't be happy. But is that acceptable?

John

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds