Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
18 Apr 2017 21:33 #91606 by tommylight
Dejane,
Do you have the docking station for X60? It has a parallel port on it. Had it working on a plasma cnc for over 2 years without a single problem, running ubuntu 10.04, latency wa under 15000.
Disable everything related to power saving, serial ports, infrared, modem, everthing you do not need. It improves latency very much on X and T series IBM.
Pozdrav.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2017 14:27 #91634 by bkt
@cncnoob1979 ... very thanks for your howto ... but these days I have responded to a user who seems to have encountered the same problems with ubuntu / mint and libmodbus .... I might say that I have not tested your guide and I do not know if you follow your steps will be the same but from what I read I think so.
Ubuntu / Mint have in their repositories an old version of libmodbus LCNC and installing a new rtai, libmodbus will be sought in the wrong directory, so many library functions will not be available and will give you halcompile error. To resolve I first installed the packages needed to the new LCNC, then I uninstalled libmodbus, I did the cleaning, I re-installed libmodbus downloading it from the official repository in the latest version. Then I used pkconfig and ldconfig. At this point I stopped having problems and I have used very well with Modbus libmodbus.

I believe that putting this warning (to delete the version in the repository and the pc libmodbus and instllare version of the official repositories) can avoid many of us in those approaches for the first time.

Sorry for my horrible english and thanks for your how to.
regards
Giorgio

More
19 Apr 2017 14:33 - 19 Apr 2017 14:34 #91635 by bkt
@probamo I not read your hardware info .... but I see is quite normal on these installation time if not have the right motherboards ... but if you use only servo-thread the problem is a not problem. The latency on servo system is quite good and the machine it have a good performance.

If you not have the kernel on grub .... you not can use it .... the command output :
uname -a

is your actual kernel.

regards
giorgio
Last edit: 19 Apr 2017 14:34 by bkt.

More
19 Apr 2017 14:48 #91636 by cncnoob1979
K-1

Thanks for reporting libmodbus issue.

What was the repository and what version did you need to install to avoid these issues?

I'll have to confirm these issues, I assume this happenes when trying to halcompile a component?

Can you post a [known failed] component for me to compile, that way I can test the fix?

Thanks!

More
20 Apr 2017 15:27 #91694 by probamo
@tommy
I haven't tried X60 with 10.04 stating in LCNC that laptops are not goo candidates for controlling CNC machines. Though excluded many things from BIOS (as you more-less set your laptop), did not get much better performance, still unstable condition from time to time.
Pozdrav,

@k-1
I am on steps. Two machines run with 2.7.8 and Ubuntu 12.04. Latency was around 15, hence I set both of them at 20, operates fine, though I get sometime message, RTAI exceed ... (what so ever). With "uname -a" I am in RT 4.9.4. kernel.

Cheers,

More
20 Apr 2017 16:10 #91698 by tommylight
This same tutorial works perfectly for installing Linuxcnc on Lubuntu 16.04, tested 32 bit version with kernel 4.1. Getting around 20% better latency, but much snapier responce overall.
@CncNoob
Since you are much beter writing tutorials, i would suggest doing the SystemBack tutorial. It is nice as it can make an ISO of the already installed and working system, complete with user data and configs. When booting from ISO it has the option to start a Live session and install. It installs the complete system, so you get everything set up in 10 minutes.
Tested it will all versions of LinuxMint and Lubuntu 32 bit.
The only thing not documented properly for SystemBack is, you have to remove "casper" and install "live-boot" on the system you are backing up. Failing to do this will result in non bootable images.
Having a fully configured computer with everything in place in 10 minutes is ...... niceeeeee !
I also have those ISO images on USB so i can boot or install anytime anywhere.
Regards,
Tom
P.S.
Thank you very much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cncnoob1979

More
20 Apr 2017 18:15 #91713 by bkt
@ probamo .... and the grub list not show you rt 4.9.4 kernel??

regards
giorgio

More
20 Apr 2017 18:22 - 20 Apr 2017 18:23 #91714 by bkt
@ cncoob1979 ... on ubuntu repositeries there are only 3.0.4 (libmodbus5) .... but if you need use userspace comp with mint/ubuntu you need to install from these link .. libmodbus.org/download/ version 3.1.4 ....

I can post the comp tomorrow when I can hve an access to these pc..... a light version because the complete is not better tested jet ....

regards
giorgio
Last edit: 20 Apr 2017 18:23 by bkt.

More
20 Apr 2017 20:45 #91722 by probamo
Yes I do. Deleted kernels from "grub-customizer" app I recovered back.

More
25 Apr 2017 17:10 - 25 Apr 2017 17:12 #92082 by cut2cut
Everything has gone great since I last posted here but now I am getting adventurous and appears I don't really understand what "master" and "branch" means.
from post 2:
git checkout 2.7 [what ever branch you want, or skip this step for master]
../debian/configure uspace ; debuild -uc -us

The reason I ask is because recently I started using Gmoccapy as my front end. It's version 1.5.7 and I have found that there is a newer version with some features related to a touch screen that I would enjoy.

I used the post 2 method to install linuxcnc and I don't recall what choice I made ( either branch or master ) but it resulted in linuxcnc version 2.7.8. Is there a way to upgrade my existing installation in whole or in part ( to get the new gmoccapy components ) or does it require a complete new installation of LinuxCnc?

This isn't anything urgent but I someday want to take advamtage of future revisions of Linux cnc , in this case Gmoccapy but I am sure there will be others :-) . It appears I should have gone the Rip route but got fixated on getting anything to work !! Lol :-) I will likely start with a new HD to be able to fall back on my current stable build.

Jake
Last edit: 25 Apr 2017 17:12 by cut2cut.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds