Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
11 Apr 2017 17:49 #91204 by cncnoob1979
Look in synaptic package manager and search for gcc

See what version you have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2017 01:01 #91218 by mikeross
Thank you,
make clean is what I was vaguely aware of but couldn't quite remember.
Mike

More
12 Apr 2017 05:05 #91225 by probamo
gcc 4.6, gcc 4.8, gcc 5.0, gcc 6.0

More
13 Apr 2017 10:47 #91293 by trilobyte
i try to install according to post #4. i get this error message:

trilobyte@trilomint ~/linuxcnc-dev/debian $ ./configure uspace
Package libxenomai-dev exists, but information about its source package
is not available. This most likely means that you do not have the
right deb-src lines in /etc/apt, or that you need to "apt-get update".

if i try "./configure -r" i get the same error message.

i run apt-get update, after that it is still the same..

what can i do?

More
13 Apr 2017 12:14 - 13 Apr 2017 12:15 #91297 by cncnoob1979
trilobite,

Post 4 is if you know what you are doing...

However your issue is that to check dependencies you have to enable the source code repositories. That is covered in the explanation I posted in the #1 ; #2 or #3 posts.

After enabling the source code repositories you then have to issue an apt-get update.

probamo,

I would recommend you try this on a machine not a VM. But good luck if you wish to try to get it working!!
Last edit: 13 Apr 2017 12:15 by cncnoob1979.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Apr 2017 12:45 #91298 by trilobyte
"NOTE: You need to enable source repositories and apt-get update for the next steps using ./configure uspace. If you do not you will not be able to complete this step. Package Manager>Settings>Repositories> Check Mark - Enable Source Code Repositories."

after doing that it worked ,-)

More
16 Apr 2017 22:46 #91483 by tommylight
Tested this tutorial on Lubuntu 16.04 last night and it works like a charm !
Did the Preempt-RT version as i had the kernel compiled on a Linux Mint system already, just installed the DEB's. Did a git pull for master, installed missing dependencies and it worked.
Thank you very much, CncNoob for an excellent tutorial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cncnoob1979

More
16 Apr 2017 23:45 #91487 by cncnoob1979
Great! Glad to hear it Tommy!

I wonder if the kernel deb and linuxcnc .deb will install across other platforms of Linux. I'll have to test that.

I build my kernel for intel only processors, if I copied my generic kernel .config and built another kernel I wonder if others can just install it? Would be a -generic release. Then try the same with x64 and linuxcnc.

Then people can just install deb packages without building anything. But as was previously stated-- teach a man to fish...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
17 Apr 2017 01:01 #91488 by tommylight
...and he'll be fed for a lifetime.
It does work on Mint 18.1, just copy the deb files after you install dependencies.
I also have clonezilla images for 32 and 64 bit on a USB drive, did 4 restores to date and all of them worked properly. It takes about 10 minutes to have a fully functional Linuxcnc box! Just tested the afore mentioned Lubuntu on an old HP with a 1GHz Geode processor, the verdict is : quite usable, for Linuxcnc very much so. They do have some nice latency numbers and work from 12V power, that is why i bother with them.
I have 2 car and 2 truck bateries in the shop as electricity was scarce here, now we get a blackout in 3 months. Almost everything works also on batteries, except the welding equipment and plasma. Yes even the angle grinder, circular saw and smal lathe. An APC UPS with 1400W power is a nice thing to have ( well have 4 of them but using only 1 ).
Got caried away a bit, back on track. Nearly !
Beeing a controll freak has it's nice features, trying to get everything done in a lifetime is not possible, but it have not stopped me, yet.
So i made a USB ( well several of them ) with in no particular order:
Debian wheezy Linuxcnc iso
Debian Dog Linuxcnc iso
Linux Mint 17.2 RTAI iso
Linux Mint 17.3 PREEMPT iso
Linux Mint 18.1 RTAI iso
Linux Mint 18.1 PREEMPT iso
Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE RTAI iso
Ubuntu 12.04 RTAI iso
Clonezilla
Parted magic
Free dos, ghost, other DOS softw
And plenty other distros not related to CNC.
First 2 are a pain to setup to boot from USB, so if anyone needs, i will gladly attach the GRUB menuentries.
All other mentioned versions are made by installing on a computer, installing everything related to CNC, seting up everything as i need it, using SystemBack to create an iso image from that installation, copy that image to USB, create the menuentries for GRUB, boot from USB and have EVERYTHING working.
Before using SystemBack, you will have to unistall Casper and imstall Live-Boot , the image will not boot using Casper.
I should shut up right about now, trying to get used to writing, i uterly hated writing but i read a lot, i mean a lot. Gues now i am writing a lot!!! :)
Thank you
Over and out........to bed, 3AM here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinuksGuru

More
17 Apr 2017 16:03 #91516 by probamo
Really not know what to say :lol:

Thank you for guidance, I managed to install 2.8.0~pre in Ubuntu 16.04 (see attachments), using POST 2 instructions. The only what was missing from dependencies was "autoconf" which I added later on.

By using stepconf I created TEST file, starting running, there was an error window for what I need support from your side. Beside this, in sim started with gmoccapy I was not able to "home" Z axis.

Another thing is, looking at the stepconf file for XYZ mill machine (cannot find XXYZ), how to home axis driven by two motors (let say, X axis is driven by two motors - each motor at the either side of the table) in order gentry to be squared. Which limit switches shall be employed once the home all command is in place?

Once again thanks a lot for awesome instructions.

File Attachment:

File Name: LinuxCNCErrors.txt
File Size:57 KB
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds