Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
05 Apr 2017 01:09 #90896 by cncnoob1979
Elroy;

I just did a new .deb package with updating linuxcnc to the latest pull. I still do not have any of the dependencies that you are needing. I wonder why? My build went without issue, as stated in the how-to.

Anyone else out there have these packages installed? Running 32 bit that is?
Unmet build dependencies: libgnomeprintui2.2-dev python-support tcl8.4-dev tk8.4-dev

i would re download the iso and check the md5 sum. Then reinstall Linux Mint 18.1 and start from scratch... Would probably be a lot quicker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2017 01:45 #90897 by rodw
I generally find if I google "mint my_missing_package" I get a result.
Try
community.linuxmint.com/software/view/libgnomeprintui2.2-dev

community.linuxmint.com/software/view/tcl8.4-dev

community.linuxmint.com/software/view/tk8.4-dev

Last time I got to a page like this, I clicked on the "Install Now" Button and it installed it for me.

BTW, I am sure I had to resolve this but it predates this tutorial (just). :(

Anyway, I think that takes care of 3 out of 4 for you....I'll let you find the last.

More
05 Apr 2017 02:07 #90899 by cncnoob1979
I'm more concerned that these dependencies are being called on a 32bit kernel. I have none on my system.

Elroy,

You are on a preemptive kernel if I remember correctly.

You are on 64bit right rodw?

These dependencies are typical for 64bit. I wonder why?

More
05 Apr 2017 02:08 #90900 by Elroy
Yes it is a fresh install of mint. The only thing i have done is remove virtual box and the other one i can't think of. I followed you instruction to a T after reading them several times. I think that there is some principle that i am not understanding. What are repositories? Are they like driver on windows? What are packages?

This is what i got after I did what you said.

elroy@elroy-Lenovo-V570 ~ $ uname -a
Linux elroy-Lenovo-V570 4.8.11-rt7 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Sat Apr 1 15:20:50 CDT 2017 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
elroy@elroy-Lenovo-V570 ~ $ sudo apt-get install cdbs gnome-pkg-tools libxml2-dev libart-2.0-dev libglade2-dev libgnomecanvas2-dev libgnomeprint2.2-dev gtk-doc-tools intltool libglib2.0-doc libgtk2.0-doc
[sudo] password for elroy:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libgnomeprint2.2-dev
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libgnomeprint2.2-dev'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgnomeprint2.2-dev'

More
05 Apr 2017 02:16 - 05 Apr 2017 02:19 #90903 by cncnoob1979
Do this:
sudo add-apt-repository 'deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu precise main universe'

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libgnomeprintui2.2-dev python-support tcl8.4-dev tk8.4-dev

A repository is like an ftp. It hosts files you need for different versions of Linux.

This one above is for an older version of ubuntu.

Edit: packages are precompiled software based on different versions of Linux.

Almost like an exe installer you are used to on windows. Similar concept.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 02:19 by cncnoob1979.

More
05 Apr 2017 02:22 #90905 by rodw

You are on 64bit right rodw?

These dependencies are typical for 64bit. I wonder why?

Yes, I'm on 64 bit becasue the PREMPTIVE kernel was a dismal performance failure on my 32 bit hardware so I had to upgrade to use my ethernet 7i76e.

Whether on 32 bit or 64 bit, I seem to recall that some dependencies required some research to resolve and all of these above seem familiar for one reason or another.

More
05 Apr 2017 02:25 #90906 by cncnoob1979
Yes when I was building this tutorial I added all of these dependencies that were required by trial and error.

Since then I haven't had any other issues. But I know different things are required for different machines. Just an odd ball this one.

I had to install these only on 64bit test versions.

More
05 Apr 2017 02:27 #90907 by cncnoob1979
I'm planning a how to with Linux mint LMDE next. That's based on Debian.

The issue with Debian is the network drivers wan/wifi are not supported well out of the box. Not to mention video drivers.

More
05 Apr 2017 02:41 #90909 by rodw

I'm planning a how to with Linux mint LMDE next. That's based on Debian.

The issue with Debian is the network drivers wan/wifi are not supported well out of the box. Not to mention video drivers.

Which was the whole problem I had with Wheezy and Precise. I tried so many repositories and backports, I eventually broke it and moved to mint where it was seamless.

More
05 Apr 2017 02:46 #90910 by Elroy
Ok, Here we go. By the way i really appreciate the help.

I think i am past the last problem and the program was able to move on to seeing the next. Help me understand because i want to know how to fish not just eat fish.

My Mint Cinnamon 32 bit must of had some missing or bad files? or i deleted them some how? I doubt the latter.
Is this correct assuming i followed your dirrections perfectly after memorizing them? haha

Ok on to the new problem. This is what i am thinking? I mimic what you did because my computer now knows where the repository is it can fetch these new packages it needs.

sudo apt-get install cdbs (>= 0.4.41) gnome-pkg-tools (>= 0.10) libglade2-dev (>= 2.3.6-4) gtk-doc-tools intltool (>= 0.35.0) libglib2.0-doc libgtk2.0-doc

This is where i am at before trying the above code.

elroy@elroy-Lenovo-V570 ~ $ dpkg-checkbuilddeps
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies: cdbs (>= 0.4.41) gnome-pkg-tools (>= 0.10) libglade2-dev (>= 2.3.6-4) gtk-doc-tools intltool (>= 0.35.0) libglib2.0-doc libgtk2.0-doc
elroy@elroy-Lenovo-V570 ~ $

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds