(superseeded) Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation

More
31 Oct 2019 10:12 #149268 by tommylight

One thing which may assist, in my situation, I had very slow boot times with the 4.16.12-rt5-kona-rt_amd64 kernel.

Using the 4.14.28-rt23-kona-rt_amd64 from the same page resolved this.

I did notice that, and the same thing with all RT kernels i compiled lately, but this has a bit better latency on same hardware.
Thank you for reporting your findings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2019 10:29 - 31 Oct 2019 14:52 #149271 by Elco
Thanks for this solution, I managed to Install LinuxCNC on a new Linux Mint 19.2 installation, now identifying itself as Linux lab-CNC 4.16.12-rt5-kona-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT.

To develop G-code programs, I'd like to install a sim version on my laptop, which also runs Linux Mint 19.2
I downloaded

buildbot.linuxcnc.org/~buildmaster/dists...0.g6acbabd_amd64.deb

but the installer gave an error message: dependency is not satisfyable: libboost-python 1.49.0

As a Linux beginner I don't know yet how to proceed. Should I make buildmaster a ppa, download another version, or first find the mission python parts?

UPDATE: I installed the PREEMPT (not the sim) version on standard Linux Mint 19.2 No errors, works well for offline G-code testing
Thanks for help.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2019 14:52 by Elco.

More
06 Nov 2019 09:51 - 06 Nov 2019 10:01 #149680 by Laser Nube

This is an easy way to have Linuxcnc running very quickly on Linux Mint 19.1
-Install Linux Mint 19.1
-Download and install using gdebi a kernel from this link
simosnet.com/debian/packages/Konalinux/debian/kernel/
linux-headers-4.16.12-rt5-kona-rt_amd64.deb
and
linux-image-4.16.12-rt5-kona-rt_amd64.deb
Restart, hold down shift and ctrl to show grub2 menu, choose the above kernel
-Download and install using gdebi the version of Linuxcnc you want
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/~buildmaster/dists/stretch/
Enjoy !
Tested on two computers, version 2.8 and 2.9 work.
Warning !
I found those kernels by searching google, i have no idea if we can use them but since they are as Debian packages i assume it is OK to use them. Also the link to buildmaster is hard to find, so if it is not supposed to be shown here, please do remove this post.
Thank you.

mint bro here. Which file do i download?
I clicked on "2.8-rtpreempt/" and i got more directory files.

and why does the linuxcnc website say current version at 2.7?
Last edit: 06 Nov 2019 10:01 by Laser Nube.

More
06 Nov 2019 11:03 #149688 by tommylight
Choose the version, 2.7, 2.8 or master, choose architecture in this case amd64, chose the build number like:
linuxcnc-uspace_2.9.0~pre0.811.gafb9de3c8_amd64.deb
The following user(s) said Thank You: macsddau@linuxcnc, Laser Nube

More
07 Nov 2019 05:33 #149804 by machinedude
so is it possible to do a dual boot set up when you restart your computer so you still have windows 10 along with Linux? i know you can run Linux from the USB and not have it installed on the hard drive. but if a duel boot system is possible is it best to have Linux run alongside windows or create a partition on the hard drive for it? i know windows should be on it first otherwise it will overwrite the Linux but does this work for a set up with Linuxcnc? sorry in advance for the basic questions this method to control a machine is completely new to me. i don't recall seeing anything about having both OS on one computer so if a topic is out there and anyone can point me towards it i will gladly read through it on my own?

More
07 Nov 2019 07:10 - 07 Nov 2019 07:10 #149810 by rodw
If you install linux on an existing HDD that boots Windows, you should get an opportunity to install in to a new partition and Linux will shuffle files around to make room for your chosen partition. Then at boot time you will have options on the grub menu to select the partition you want to boot into. Linux will allow access to the Windows partition but not vice versa.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2019 07:10 by rodw.

More
07 Nov 2019 07:22 #149813 by machinedude
makes sense Rod since that is about what i got out of what i could find online. i was just not sure how well Linux cnc would react to a duel boot system? i'm thinking a partition is best since there seems to be an option for it to run along side windows too. plenty of room for a partition on the HDD since it's 500 GB. i just want to keep both OS if possible since i'm not ready to ditch windows just yet :)

More
07 Nov 2019 11:13 #149832 by rodw
Linuxcnc won't care at all. It will just live on your Linux partition.

I have done this on my windows laptop and it works fine. I just decide at boot time which OS to load.
You have to install Windows first.
Just pay attention to the questions asked when you run the Linux install and its easy.

More
07 Nov 2019 21:25 #149874 by machinedude
did manage to get Linux mint 19.2 to run from the USB flash drive and the only trouble i have is the WiFi wont work but it seems this is an issue with the USB WiFi connections for what ever the reason might be? works fine with Windows 10 but not Linux? looks like this is going to be the first speed bump :) might turn into a weekend project since we are supposed to get snow this weekend already :)

More
07 Nov 2019 21:34 #149875 by rodw
Wifi can be a bit problematic. The one I had needed a driver to be compiled on Debian but when I used it with Mint it was plug and play all the way. It Was an Asus Nano.

But before you buy a new one, post up the name and model of the dongle and also type lsub (or sudo lsub) and report back what it says. we might find a solution.

See linuxhint.com/list-usb-devices-linux/

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds