Raspberry Pi 4 Tutorial - fatal error

More
24 Sep 2020 02:30 #183542 by phillc54
Try the buildbot way:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/
The following user(s) said Thank You: wiremonkey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2020 14:55 #183602 by wiremonkey
This is very helpful! Thanks!

More
29 Sep 2020 00:22 - 29 Sep 2020 00:29 #184231 by joshwuh
Replied by joshwuh on topic Raspberry Pi 4 Tutorial
I, too, am experiencing a CPU 0 error on boot.

I've gotten my RPi4 flashed, loaded, configured, and communicating with my Mesa 7I76E board. I'm totally new to Linux CNC and Mesa boards, so I'm working through getting that figured out.

I don't have a frame of reference to understand if the CPU 0 error is fatal. Everything seems to still be working. Should I be concerned? Do I also need to figure out how the buildbot works?

Edited to add:
I had ~ 75000 ns jitter on my Servo thread and ~90000ns jitter on my Base thread with 18 glxgears open.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2020 00:29 by joshwuh.

More
29 Sep 2020 11:33 #184274 by andypugh

I'll add that I also tried the latest .img file on the linuxcnc repository, but I get wrong CPU 0 not supported error.

The error message is saving that CPU0 is not supported for KVM

It is very unlikely that you would be running a CNC machine and KVM at the same time.

Ignore this message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Sep 2020 14:06 #184295 by PCW
Can it be removed from the kernel config?

More
29 Sep 2020 14:21 #184296 by andypugh

Can it be removed from the kernel config?

Potentially. Other than an easily-misinterpreted boot message it doesn't seem to cause any real problems, though.

Maybe quiet-boot would be simpler, so that the message isn't visible.

More
30 Sep 2020 02:19 - 30 Sep 2020 02:19 #184343 by joshwuh
Replied by joshwuh on topic Raspberry Pi 4 Tutorial
Thanks for the prompt responses. I connected my monitor and rebooted the Pi to verify that it was the same error message I was getting. Naturally, I suddenly can't reproduce it. Oh well. I did change my config settings to run headless (/boot/config.ext and raspi-config resolution), so maybe that had something to do with the error message.

I've got two more questions while I'm here:
1. I've installed the OS several times now (3-4) because I was troubleshooting the most efficient way to go from nothing to a totally-functional, headless RPi4. I was writing a tutorial. This last time I did so, I find that if I spend too long in the PnCConfig application (say, 5 minutes) it will kick me out. It appears as though the application is faulting with no warning. I had to fly through the configuration to get it to work. My next troubleshooting step is going to be to just install the OS again and give it another shot -- I don't think I had this issue on my first install. Any ideas?

Which brings me to my second question:

2. I'm running my RPi4 on a MicroSD card. Some online research suggests that the device will perform much better with a good external SSD; however, that same research concludes that the USB port shares traffic in some way with the Ethernet port, whereas the MicroSD card does not. It sounds like a tradeoff... better overall performance of the Pi, or better Ethernet performance. I'm using it with a Mesa 7I76E -- could you folks share your thoughts?
Last edit: 30 Sep 2020 02:19 by joshwuh.

More
30 Sep 2020 07:53 #184362 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Raspberry Pi 4 Tutorial

however, that same research concludes that the USB port shares traffic in some way with the Ethernet port, whereas the MicroSD card does not.

With the Pi 1, 2, 3 the Ethernet port was on the USB bus. This is why we discounted the use of the ethernet port until the Pi4, which has the ethernet port in the PCI bus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, joshwuh

More
16 Oct 2020 12:58 - 20 Oct 2020 16:58 #186282 by gbeck
Hello David
I've run into the very same issue today.
Raspberry Pi 4B boots into the graphical UI but mouse and keyboard will not work.
I am using the latest image from here: www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8.0-pi4.zip.

Many thanks for any advice, Gero

Update: it seems to be related only to 8GB. I tried it with a 4GB RPI and it works well. I think its a kernel issue in this built.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2020 16:58 by gbeck.

More
16 Oct 2020 20:56 #186310 by oceax
Replied by oceax on topic Raspberry Pi 4 Tutorial
Same here, gui but no usb mouse and keyboard

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds