Installing ethercat repositories

More
08 Sep 2024 10:48 #309640 by rodw
Sometimes you need to install the ethercat repositories and don't have the linuxcnc  ISO handy or:
1. ethercat's security key has expired and needs updating
2. You are not running Debian Bookworm installed by  Linuxcnc's ISO on the downloads page.
3. You are running linuxcnc on  hardware that is not directly supported by our ISO

Please proceed as follows.
1.  download the attached script.
2. rename it to be ecat.sh (eg remove .txt)
3. Navigate to the download folder in a terminal console
4. type: sudo ./ecat.sh

Follow the steps outlined in this sticky
forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/45336-etherc...-how-to-step-by-step

The script will delete the ethercat apt sources file if it exists (and has the same name as used in our ISO.)
Mods might like to sticky this as some people have needed this recently (Due to point 1)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: onceloved, DPFlex, bertoldo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2024 21:44 #309793 by tommylight

Mods might like to sticky this as some people have needed this recently (Due to point 1)

Done, thank you.
Should we unsticky the other topic?
The titles are very similar.

More
09 Sep 2024 21:47 #309795 by rodw
Thanks Tommy,
The other needs to stay a sticky as it has a lot of additional steps that can't be scripted
This one just allows people to install the repositories if they are not on their version of linux or the etherlabmaster's security key changes (which will happen every 2 years)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Sep 2024 17:00 #309922 by cncLab
Hello rodw

A few weeks ago I run apt update to both amd64 and Raspi5 successfully. Now I have linuxcnc v2.9.3 / Ethercat up and running on both platforms but I can not any more update or upgrade either due to errors in repositories (new keys?).
Additionally it will require much effort to scratch install the provided ISO (linuxcnc.org/downloads/) so I would prefer to skip this option

So just to understand, by running the above script ecat.sh I will be able to nomally update my systems or I have to do something else?

I would appreciate your response
Best Regards and thanks in advance
Konstantinos

More
12 Sep 2024 05:02 #309963 by rodw
Yes, this script won't break anything. Its a variant of the script I use in some of the installers that etherlabmaster helped me with.
I think the problem is the security key they use has a 2 year life then it expires. This script simply removes the file causing the key error, gets the key and creates the required apt file. Then 
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

will correctly update your system

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds