Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry)

26 Dec 2023 08:05 - 26 Dec 2023 08:43
25 Dec 2023 10:46 - 25 Dec 2023 11:47

LinuxCNC-RIO - RealtimeIO for LinuxCNC based on FPGA (ICE40 / ECP5)

Category: Computers and Hardware

Thank you for help.
Currently my setup work on bench with serial communication of the box, just small adjustment of baud rate in rio.v and adjusting port in rio.h!
Still lot to do.

Hi Zayoo,
nice !
Are you using a Raspberry with Serial on GPIO or an USB-Serial-Adapter ?

I'm using FTDI232 USB to serial converter. My setup is running on VirtualBox on desk PC. 

24 Dec 2023 00:24

Linumeric-LPT V3 - Ethernet to LPT controller for LinuxCNC

Category: Driver Boards

Hey this looks pretty cool. I was just working on my own remora version using the 411, then stumbled on this. Ive been keeping my eye on your other project for a while though. Mine includes a raspberry pi header.

I am very interested to see your firmware and linuxcnc driver.
23 Dec 2023 12:09
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

My interest is being able to build a img that has Linuxcnc preinstalled on the 6.1.x kernel to remain compatibility with Debian 12 to complement the other installers I have built. Eventually, the kernels and patches will align so until then early adopters will have to follow your methods
23 Dec 2023 11:52

None of those are “bleeding edge” if you look at the progression of the mainline kernel, which is well past the 6.1 series.
Quite honestly, after going through the process, as it stands the most usable route for the RPi 5 is a Raspberry OS image with a real time kernel of the appropriate version and Linuxcnc either installed via self built packages, which doesn’t take that long. The other secret is to change from Wayland to X as the compatibility layer is not optimum for UIs that have calls to X libs. This is a must if a user has a preference for a xfce desktop.
Another thing to keep in mind is eventually sysfs will be dropped from RPi kernels as it a depreciated feature. This will mean some changes to user land access to GPIO, not that it will affect Linuxcnc, but it would be something worth tracking. This info comes from the RPi forum, mainly from when questions arise from access regarding The RPi 5, which seems to be a little messy and unclear to a great many users. Libgiod seems to be the recommended way. Whilst it’s neither here nor there, some of these developments would be worth tracking.

On another note, keep safe and I hope that the fire nor floods affect you mate, seems like the last thing you need on your plate.
23 Dec 2023 11:19

Cornholio, I have just followed the commits on the raspberry pi kernel git
github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commits/rpi-6.1.y
It is desirable to match the mainline kernel with the preempt-rt kernel
6.1.67 was committed on 11 Dec but it has not been merged into 6.1.y
The next merge ocurred after committing 6.1.68 so there is not a clean match with the 6.1.67 RT patch.
Previoulsy there was 1 for 1 mapping with the kernel versions. The sudden flurry I assume is due to the Pi 5.
The production 6.1.63 kernel would need to use the 6.1.47 patch so quite a gap.

Probably the best commit to clone from would be e41b05a8fc73f95425aceaf15a68fc25da1d1fe5 where 6.1.68 was merged in as that should include the 6.1.67 changes and only be one version away from preempt_rt

When you use kernel source from kernel.org there are ways to match the versions eactly.
23 Dec 2023 04:47

Re:one panel at the top.. not entirely sure what you mean but I think you are right
23 Dec 2023 02:15

Yeah it was a toss up between the pineberry and the one I got. I chose mine because it was cheaper and had a cool design on the back haha, plus the company is a bit older.
23 Dec 2023 01:00 - 23 Dec 2023 01:08

If it's Rod's image can you change the resolution and does it identify the display\monitor? From what I've seen it's stuck at a single resolution and it can't identify the dsiaplay as the RPi4 images can.
Yes, my image uses debian so it won't have the pi specific menu options.. Some settings can be changed using  sudo menuconfig.
But if you could try adding
video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60D 
to cmdline.txt or equivalent, It would be helpful. If it works, I can add it to the installer.

Its still a pain because the Pi 5 needs to be at the bleeding edge of the raspberry kernel and the PREEMPT_RT is lagging behind that.

Latest RPi production kerenl (2023-12-05) is Linux kernel 6.1.63 for the most recent Raspberry OS Image,latest 6.1 series RT is 6.1.67, so it would not seem that the RPi 5 does not need a "bleeding edge" kernel, it's just there is a mismatch between latest RPi production kernel and the latest rt-preempt. If anything the preferred RPi kernel is behind the rt-preempt patch.
www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-s...spberry-pi-os-64-bit

In actual fact the latest 64 bit image is the same for all models. After running a self (same recipe) made image for the RPi5 and using the official image and installing a RT kernel & linuxcnc, the official image appears to be a more "smoother & integrated" experience for the 5, tho I did change from Wayland to X so I could run a xfce desktop. The pre made images for the 4 are fine.

Although in saying that Rod if you have sources of info to the contrary I'd be quite happy to see it and amend my answer.
22 Dec 2023 22:26 - 22 Dec 2023 22:27

Yeap. I have one of these on the way

shop.pimoroni.com/products/nvme-base?variant=41219587178579

Edit. I find this the most awkward forum when replying to people.
22 Dec 2023 20:59

Hi mate.

Yes, this seems to function fine, resolution changes when settings modified as per this image attached.

I am using image Lcnc210_pi5 within image_pi5_rt.zip shared earlier by elovalvo

Ok looks like that might be based on a official Raspberry Pi image. Is there just one panel at the top ?
22 Dec 2023 20:20

If it's Rod's image can you change the resolution and does it identify the display\monitor? From what I've seen it's stuck at a single resolution and it can't identify the dsiaplay as the RPi4 images can.

Yes, my image uses debian so it won't have the pi specific menu options.. Some settings can be changed using  sudo menuconfig.
But if you could try adding
video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60D 
to cmdline.txt or equivalent, It would be helpful. If it works, I can add it to the installer.

Its still a pain because the Pi 5 needs to be at the bleeding edge of the raspberry kernel and the PREEMPT_RT is lagging behind that.

22 Dec 2023 20:00

If you need me to install rods image to check the same thing, this is no problem.
22 Dec 2023 19:57

Hi mate.

Yes, this seems to function fine, resolution changes when settings modified as per this image attached.

I am using image Lcnc210_pi5 within image_pi5_rt.zip shared earlier by elovalvo

Displaying 721 - 735 out of 1060 results.
Time to create page: 1.145 seconds