Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry pi 3)

12 Jul 2024 10:52

Linuxcnc's Ethercat in Raspberry pi-5

Category: EtherCAT

All lscpu gives is info on the cpu, nothing else is reported, and it's really not the info needed.
You haven't given any indication of your error your error, I skipped mind reading & ESP classes at school ;)

Please upload the error Linuxcnc is giving and all the files, ini, hal & xml & any extra files your ini file loads. Screenshots aren't really much help, ever tried using grep to look for a string in a screen shot ? Just a little joke there mate.

Put up the right info and you'll get the help you want.
12 Jul 2024 06:19 - 12 Jul 2024 06:20

I've successfully built LinuxCNC by following the instructions in the official documentation. Additionally, I've compiled EtherCAT using the instructions provided on this site.(forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/49771-etherc...ce-full-instructions) However, when I reached the final testing step for EtherCAT, I encountered an error while executing a specific .ini file. Here is a screenshot of my sytem configration :

Could you help me troubleshoot this issue?
11 Jul 2024 13:06

Just be careful cross compiling isn't easy (if not quite possible) for Linuxcnc.

Funny how some things are in the documentation, below links to how to build linuxcnc from source. Be aware the build deps will install Apache2. Ahh the beauty of debian\ubuntu

linuxcnc.org/docs/master/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html
11 Jul 2024 12:52

Thank you . Yes, Its working good with linuxcnc2.9.2 image file. But Actually i want build linuxcnc and ethercat from source that only i can able to modifies it for different UNIX device for later. could you share with me any reference for build linuxcnc and ethercat from source file.
11 Jul 2024 09:03

I'm not really sure if ethercat is supported on the Pi5 as the Pi 5 was released just after Linuxcnc 2.9.1 was released
Can you try  using the pi5 image from the downloads page and burn the image to a SD card using Balena Etcher.
It has the ethercat repository already installed.
So then follow the Sticky I wrote in this section to install ethercat from the repositories
if that works, the issue is with your build.
11 Jul 2024 07:34

I am using raspberry pi-5 for my project to build linuxcnc . I actually build linuxcnc from source file following this site (linuxcnc.org/docs/master/html/code/build...nc.html#sub:realtime). and  i also build ethercat using this two (forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/49771-etherc...ce-full-instructions  // forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/42048-notes-...at-on-raspberry-pi-4). but at stage of testing i am facing issues in ethercat . i attached that error below . 

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

09 Jul 2024 08:06

Notes from installation of ethercat on Raspberry Pi 4

3 years is a long time in this space.
I would try installing the Raspberry pi 5 image on the downloads page and then follow these instructions
forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/45336-etherc...-how-to-step-by-step

The ethercat repositories should be installed for you already so hopefully, you will find there is no need to build from source if iGh supports the pi5 now.

09 Jul 2024 06:55

Notes from installation of ethercat on Raspberry Pi 4

Hi Hakan,
I am using Raspberry pi5. I build Linuxcnc from source code .now i started installing ethercat from source code following your notes but now i am facing some issues in etherlab master build ($make dkms_build) in this line.
i also attached output log. is there any other way for RP5 ..?    
08 Jul 2024 20:50

How to diagnose crashing LinuxCNC

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

Alright, I found the solution already.

Firstly:
I was able to get debug information out of LinuxCNC by having xinit instead loading a script, that calls LinuxCNC and redirects its output to a file.

Secondly:
It turned out LinuxCNC cannot run as root, however xinit must run as root, which means the script needed to use "sudo -u cnc linuxcnc" to run it as a normal user even though xinit runs it as root.

And thirdly:
There was also an issue where it did not load forever and apparently it was waiting for user input in the console, which was not visible.
In the end it turned out it's a lot easier to run "sudo xinit" in one terminal, to run the xorg server, and in another terminal run linuxcnc manually, thereby not having an issue with root and you can also do user input.

I cannot attach a Screenshot here but it works now and I have LinuxCNC running fullscreen on a Raspberry PI, without a desktop environment.
08 Jul 2024 19:46 - 08 Jul 2024 19:51

How to diagnose crashing LinuxCNC

I just followed linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/getting-st...th_preempt_rt_kernel and installed Raspbian bookworm Lite on a Raspberry 3B, and installed the Preempt-RT Kernel, and then installed LinuxCNC using the install script.

I have no desktop environment and want to run only the LinuxCNC application using the X11 server, without any other bloat.

Now, after installing xorg, i can successfully run LinuxCNC using
sudo xinit linuxcnc $* -- :0 vt$XDG_VTNR

Now, the terminal of the rpi turns into a black window, that renders LinuxCNC fullscreen, without a desktop environment. (Screenshot in Attachments)

However, when I select any config (e.g. sim->axis->axis) and click ok, the window closes and the normal EMC2 splash screen appears for a few seconds, like it should, and then it just closes without any message and the X11 server stops.

Following is the command line output:
> sudo xinit linuxcnc $* -- :0 vt$XDG_VTNR

X.Org X Server 1.21.1.7
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Current Operating System: Linux cnc 6.6.31+rpt-rpi-v8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 1:6.6.31-1+rpt1 (2024-05-29) aarch64
Kernel command line: coherent_pool=1M 8250.nr_uarts=0 snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones=0 snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=0  vc_mem.mem_base=0x3ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x40000000  console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=6396eb0b-02 rootfstype=ext4 fsck.repair=yes rootwait cfg80211.ieee80211_regdom=GB
xorg-server 2:21.1.7-3+rpt2+deb12u7 (https://www.debian.org/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.42.2
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jul  8 21:42:58 2024
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

And here is the same command with a script that just echos "hi":
sudo xinit ./test.sh $* -- :0 vt$XDG_VTNR

X.Org X Server 1.21.1.7
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Current Operating System: Linux cnc 6.6.31+rpt-rpi-v8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 1:6.6.31-1+rpt1 (2024-05-29) aarch64
Kernel command line: coherent_pool=1M 8250.nr_uarts=0 snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones=0 snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=0  vc_mem.mem_base=0x3ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x40000000  console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=6396eb0b-02 rootfstype=ext4 fsck.repair=yes rootwait cfg80211.ieee80211_regdom=GB
xorg-server 2:21.1.7-3+rpt2+deb12u7 (www.debian.org/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.42.2
        Before reporting problems, check wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jul  8 21:44:26 2024
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
hi
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
[/code]

So, as you can see, command line output is printed directly and LinuxCNC does not produce any.

How can I diagnose this issue? If LinuxCNC stops without any command line output, can I find a log file somewhere? Or can I enable some debug features?

Thank you for any answers!
08 Jul 2024 08:18

How to dynamically switch one ethercat servo motor from spindle to axis ?

Category: General LinuxCNC Questions

Hi,I'v watched your youtube video.It looks that the most of the solution need to use Mesa board.but I'm now using Raspberry pi ,so do I have to buy a Mesa board for achiving the spindle / axis as one functionality?
08 Jul 2024 04:30 - 08 Jul 2024 04:32

Mesa 7i96 Ethernet Socket Problems - LC2.9.2 on Raspberry Pi 4B

Category: Driver Boards

Trying to get the LC2.8.4 set-up, I screwed up the install badly, so reverted to the LC2.9.2.
Installed the new (old stock) replacement 7i96 and the original RPi 4B 4GB.

The set-up went smoothly with the help and assistance of fellow Forum Members residing here in Sydney .

Axis opens and ping tests perform flawlessly.
Now to make chips.

I will make a desktop system with the old 7i96 and the RPi 4B 8GB to see if the original "perceived" sensitivity of physical movement of the ethernet plug exhibits itself.

But, considering how I screwed up two LC2.8.4 installs, I fear it will be a 'mea culpa' event.

This is my setup:
- download LC2.9.2 from official site,
- Raspberry Imager flashed the SD card,
- nil adjustments to the RPi 4B 4GB operation,
- Mesa jumpers 192.168.1.121.

$menu-config:
Wired connection 1
eth0 (:::::)
IPv4 <Manual>
192.168.1.120/24
(No custom routing)
[x] Require IPv4 addressing
IPv6 <Ignore>
[x] Auto connect
[x] Available all users

Keep well,
John.
06 Jul 2024 08:21 - 06 Jul 2024 08:46

Spindle started during tool length probing

Category: General LinuxCNC Questions

Hello,

sorry for asking without being able to give any valuable details. I have no logs, and the issue I had is not reproducible. But it was quite disturbing, so I'll try my luck and ask if this maybe rings a bell to someone out there.

I have installed LinuxCNC 2.9.2 on a Raspberry Pi 4, the image from the LinuxCNC page. Before I had 2.8 installed, which flawlessly cut many chips.

I'm running (as before) Gmoccypy.

After installing, I took over my config files from 2.8 and was surprised that it actually worked quite nicely out of the box. I installed ProbeScreen for LinuxCNC 2.9 (github.com/verser-git/probe_screen_v2.9); before I already had installed ProbeScreen for LinuxCNC 2.8).

Already cut some chips including tool length sensing etc, everything just flawless.

But today something VERY strange and disturbing happened: LinuxCNC had been running for some days, machine was homed, so I just loaded a GCode file (but did not start it yet) and then wanted to first touch off the tool probe with my 3d probe (which I always do and had done several times already with the new set up).
It drove above the tool probe, approached, touched, retracted, touched slowly, retracted - and then started the spindle motor!! Of course the probe cable was ripped apart and I was left shocked.

Then I tried several times again (with the 3d probe not attached and simulating touch-off by hand). It did the very same each time. Then I restarted LinuxCNC - and now it behaves as usual again.

Normally, when such things happen, I just frown a bit and am glad that the issue resolved. But here I am really curios how this could actually happen.

What I've seen is that I have repeated errors on the MB2HAL, I think every 2nd transaction does not work. But even with these error, the spindle works flawlessly (I will take care on these of course). My first guess was indeed that there was some glitch on the modbus, causing the spindle to start, but as it started after each probing repeatedly I don't think this is the issue.

I think, if I don't explicitly collect logging data from stdout, I don't have any logs, right? I should have stored the stdout (I even had LinuxCNC running from command line!) :-(

Any idea anyone how this could possibly happen? Again, sorry for the sparse information, I know it's hard to tell anything without seeing any logs.

BR Simon
06 Jul 2024 02:53

Comparison between Raspian 12 Bookworm on Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspberry Pi 5

The config.txt is not directly under boot, its there you'll have to look you don't need to create one. Have a look under /boot/broadcom
06 Jul 2024 01:18

Comparison between Raspian 12 Bookworm on Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspberry Pi 5

That's the problem, the config file is not in the /boot folder. I created a new one with the SPI=on instruction and it doesn't even work. I don't know if this config file is not in /boot but in another subdirectory.
Displaying 151 - 165 out of 1059 results.
Time to create page: 1.410 seconds